good replacement for O'Brien Mapple signature model slalom 66, any suggestions?

Foxtrot_01

Cadet
Hello all,
First time poster here, my apologies but I am very new to all this so I don't quite understand the terminology.
I am trying to find a good slalom ski for my gf, her brother has an O'brien Mapple signature 66(all I can see from the ski is the brand O'Brien, Mapple Signature model slalom and 66) which he bought a while ago, my gf wants one like that but I have searched and they are hard to find used and I guess they don't make them anymore. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions from the experts here on a similar ski. I am not sure what kind of details you might need.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

I think is something like this one but 66 instead of 61

Also, I am not sure what to ask or look for on a used ski, any suggestions would be great.

Many Thanks

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: good replacement for O'Brien Mapple signature model slalom 66, any suggestions?

I'd pick her up a new womens perf ski. $179 for a really nice ski with a minor cosmetic issue and then get some bindings she likes.

Radar Lyric Women's Slalom Water Ski - BLEM | WakeHouse.com

With these bindings, you would be into the whole setup for under $350
Radar Women's Lyric Water Ski Binding - Feather Frame | WakeHouse.com
Radar Women's Adjustable Rear Toe Plate Feather Frame Water Ski Binding - 2012 | WakeHouse.com

Last edited:

Foxtrot_01

Cadet
Re: good replacement for O'Brien Mapple signature model slalom 66, any suggestions?

I'd pick her up a new womens perf ski. $179 for a really nice ski with a minor cosmetic issue and then get some bindings she likes.

Radar Lyric Women's Slalom Water Ski - BLEM | WakeHouse.com

With these bindings, you would be into the whole setup for under $350
Radar Women's Lyric Water Ski Binding - Feather Frame | WakeHouse.com
Radar Women's Adjustable Rear Toe Plate Feather Frame Water Ski Binding - 2012 | WakeHouse.com

Thanks for the information, unlike me she is a very good skier and she has been doing it for many years, actually, she has been skiing since she was a little girl. Will these be up to par with the O'Brien?
Overall I think the budget is about $600.

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks for the information, unlike me she is a very good skier and she has been doing it for many years, actually, she has been skiing since she was a little girl. Will these be up to par with the O'Brien?
Overall I think the budget is about $600.

Should be just as good, and built for a woman. It is a womens version of the radar Senate. (Which is what I ski)

This is the 2013 version. The one I linked to is the 2012 version
Radar Skis2013 Lyric- White/Hotter Pink/Carbon

Last edited:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^+1 to Radar Lyric. You can check their website for spec's, skier profile, skier size, etc. If she has yet to ski a new generation ski or binding, she'll really appreciate the newer technology on both areas. If she is used to a rear toe plate (strap) then there is no reason to strap into two fixed boots unless she is seriously chasing buoys.

You can also surf around this site for great used deals on higher end skiis in her size, call it 64" +/- in length.

SKI-IT-AGAIN.COM

Foxtrot_01

Cadet

thank you all for your input and knowledgeable advice. I will look into the Radar Lyric! Have a great weekend!

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The OBrien Mapple is fine, but since 10 yrs ago or so when that was new, there are a whole bunch of skis that are similar, but even nicer-skiing. So you will have lots of options.

Many high end skis are sold (new or used) as blank, or without bindings. If you can find out what size bindings of the ski she's been on, that is important. Also the type of rear binding? To strap? Or second boot?

Do you know what speed she prefers to ski? What is her weight? (If she is small , a 65" ski would be fine as well)

Foxtrot_01

Cadet

The OBrien Mapple is fine, but since 10 yrs ago or so when that was new, there are a whole bunch of skis that are similar, but even nicer-skiing. So you will have lots of options.

Many high end skis are sold (new or used) as blank, or without bindings. If you can find out what size bindings of the ski she's been on, that is important. Also the type of rear binding? To strap? Or second boot?

Do you know what speed she prefers to ski? What is her weight? (If she is small , a 65" ski would be fine as well)

Thank you for your advice and help, these are some of the answers.
Many high end skis are sold (new or used) as blank, or without bindings. If you can find out what size bindings of the ski she's been on, that is important. I am not sure, she uses her brothers ski and seems to fit well, but I dont know much of these things, I will ask her tho, I know her tennis shoes size is 10 Womens.
Also the type of rear binding? To strap? Or second boot? I believe the rear binding is a second boot.

Do you know what speed she prefers to ski? this I will try to find out What is her weight? She is 6 ft tall and around 138 lbs, so I believe 66 is 130 lbs and over right? (If she is small , a 65" ski would be fine as well)

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

SKI-IT-AGAIN.COM

maybe you can work a deal on this one - not sure if the price is good or not

skibrain

Many plate bindings are one-size, and non-adjustable. A men's medium bindings would work well.
I'd recommend checking out wileyski.com if you need to order separate bindings for a blank ski you find. About $130 each for front and rear boots. They require binding slime to get on, but they are comfortable, and should last a good long time. (I've had my bindings for 10 years mounted on three different skis). That leaves you with a solid $350 of budget for a blank 66" ski and I think you should have no problem there.

The Mapple was a fine ski, but skis have improved in the last 5-10, now almost 15 years. Good news. Even the most high-end skis are easy to ski and predictable. More so than the Mapple.

Foxtrot_01

Cadet

thank you for all your advice, so from what I gather from your advice the Radar Lyric is a pretty good ski for mid to high female skier?
I understand that technology improves so the Radar Lyric might be better than her brother 10+ year old Mapple signature series 66?

Other than the Radar Lyric, any other suggestions?

Thank you for your advice and the links you have sent. I am glad I came here with my questions :)

skibrain

So the Mapple was the top of line O'Brien men's comp ski and she can ride that right? It also sounds like she is big/strong enough to not be a fly-weight. Given that skis are generally more forgiving, any of the high-end skis, new to 5 yrs old would be pretty great. Didn't really have to be a girls ski.

Connelly Prophecy, F1, Concept
Radar MPD, Strada, Vice, yes Lyric
OBrien SIXAM 2.0
D3. X5, RCX, X7

Foxtrot_01

Cadet

thank you for all your advice, I have one more piece of info I spoke with her brother and he told me that she skis at a speed of 28-30 mph, also her brothers ski has a full rear boot. Does this change any of your suggestions?

Again thank you for your help!

oldjeep

Admiral

You just need to look at the ski specs. At only 28-30MPH, that might eliminate skis that are meant to be used at higher speeds like the Vice (32-36), Strada (32-36).

Stuff like the Senate and Lyric (basically the same ski) are 30-34.

As for the boots - pick something she is comfortable with. You can put most modern bindings on most modern skis. I run a Connelly front boot and a Radar ARTP on my Radar ski.

Last edited:

skibrain

Agree. And then recommended ski size can change based on skier speed. 66" is still in the ball park, but manufacturer websites will typically show tables with size recommendations based on skier weight and boat speed.

Foxtrot_01

Cadet

Hello all, thank you for all your input, you guys have been extremely helpful, I confirmed with her that she usually skis at 29-30 mph. I have seen prices all over on models like the Radar Lyric and Connelly Concept, I have some questions about these two.
-Is there a difference between a 2012, 2013 and a 2014 model(on the radar and/or Connelly Concept or others) other than price?
-As we approach black Friday, are there any online stores that offer great discounts on skis? if so, any stores you prefer or any you can refer me to. What is the best time to buy water skis(black friday, cyber monday, prior to Christmas, days before Christmas)
-Any discounts at the end of the year(black Friday or close to Christmas holidays)?
-Considering her skill level(mid), her ski speed(29-30mph) and her desire for something similar like her brother's ski (Obrien Mapple signature series 66) what is the ideal ski for her between the Radar or Concept or any of the other ones you guys mention(budget is around $600)

oldjeep

Admiral

My .02 - unless you are a super hotdog skier you will not notice the difference between 2012/2013/2014 versions of the same ski (other than the price)

Wakehouse.com seems to have some pretty good deals, that is where I bought my radar senate - but a google search is your best friend for finding the deal of the day. I don't know that there is a "best" time to buy waterskis, it is a pretty low volume business.

I can't really comment on "best" ski since I've only skied my senate and a few older skis, pretty much anything modern that fits into her size/skill/speed category should work well for her.

skibrain

The best value will definitely be close-outs, non-current inventory, demo models, or factory blemishes. I've bought 6 skis in the past 16 yrs and NONE were current yr. new msrp. (Current ski was new $1200 blank, got for $550 new, but non-current with some minor graphics blem.)

Wileyski.com

Performance ski and surf closeouts:
http://www.perfski.com/waterskis/slalom-skis

H2Operformance. Or H2Oproshop

Ski-it-again.com or eBay would be best places to find that exact same OBrien ski.

Pick up the phone and call any of the above ski shops. Tell them what you're after.

Last edited: