Towable Ski Disk

southkogs

Staff member
I can't find the thread now, but someone posted a towable ski disk link to this video: Disk Ski - YouTube

I decided to go ahead and make one of the silly things and try it out. The "low speed" aspect of the towable was appealing for a few reasons: 1.) my boat is old, heavy and tired ... she's got the hole shot of a geriatric hippo, 2.) the kids could monkey around on the disk and the fall wasn't a 30MPH splashdown and 3.) it didn't looks as rough and tumble as a tube (we seem to really be beat up after ridin' on tubes).

Someone asked in another thread for some pictures - so here we go:

I got some scrap plywood (just some 1/2 inch junk layin' around) and had our shop cut me a 4' circle. Brought it home, did a little sanding (not really that much) and hit it with a coat of Kilz (The kids have plans to paint it, but we haven't gotten to it yet). Presto - a disk:
04.jpg

My kids (18, 16 & 14) are all pretty light, and the younger two are cats in terms of balance. None of them have much experience on skis though. One's been up one time, but the others have only ever been on tubes. So, some physical advantage maybe (I haven't tried the disk yet) but not really skilled skiers trying this out.

The drill that they've used to get up - lay flat on the disk (putting just a little more of your weight to the rear), holding the tow rope. When the boat starts moving, pull your legs into the disk to kneel on it. From there, you can do whatever you want - stand, sit, etc. The disk is up on plane FAST - way faster than the boat - and at 4' there's plenty of space to move a little. My girl started out sitting indian style on it once, and my son's tried a few different approaches.
01.jpg02.jpg
Note the dog spotting for us in the second picture :D

You can actually steer it by shifting your weight, but there is no rudder ... so it can be a little unpredictable.
03.jpg

Because it's flat it's not hard to shovel one side into the water. In the event that you do that, most likely you're going in too.

We've had it out 3 times clowning around with it this year and it's rather fun. The video link up top shows all sorts of goofy stuff they did with theirs ... we haven't gotten that far yet.

Cheap & easy. Y'all enjoy.

blmeanie

Cadet
Re: Towable Ski Disk

Wait! You didn't spend another $200+ for your latest gear???

Sweet, would like to see one or more of your kids create some moves with it, surface 360 perhaps?

southkogs

Staff member

Wait! You didn't spend another $200+ for your latest gear???
LOL, yeah - at about $4 (if I count the Kilz I've used and the sandpaper) it's definitely not the Body Glove gold standard.

Tricks will come along. There's no strap, so jumps and such are probably gonna' come slow, if at all. The kids are still trying to get the load balance right on it, so spins and slides are even a little iffy yet ... though, kinda' fun to watch from the boat :laugh:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Man, what a time warp. IIRC we used a plywood disc about 40 years ago. One can never have enough water toys.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Southkogs, When you paint the board mix some sort of sand into the paint to allow your feet to grip the board.

southkogs

Staff member

Southkogs, When you paint the board mix some sort of sand into the paint to allow your feet to grip the board.
Thanks cobalt - that's part of the plan. Actually at the moment, with just the kilz on there you get pretty good grip. I have been thinking about finding some foam/rubber-esque stuff for the top. Trying to keep it really cheap (just for the challenge) so we'll see what comes along.

The kids have this idea of painting it up like a breakfast plate with two pieces of toast on it ... then in big letters, "You're Toast!" :D So, putting anything besides paint on it would kinda' end that plan.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looks like i'm gunna have to break out the jig saw ! :D

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

103527478.jpg

Fun stuff. We have two. Maybe a 36" and 42" one of the favorite tricks is to go slow....really slow, like down to about 6-7 mph (from the normal speed 11-12 mph) move forward slowly until the front slips under the edge and with the whole board skimming below the surface, see how deep they can ride. Sort of a low-speed hydrofoil! Looks really funny to see someone gliding along behind the boat with water mid-calf and no skis in sight. The bare painted board provides enough traction with no grit or bindings.

The kids aren't very big in the picture, but you can see we are barely above no- wake speed.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

103527478.jpg

Fun stuff. We have two. Maybe a 36" and 42" one of the favorite tricks is to go slow....really slow, like down to about 6-7 mph (from the normal speed 11-12 mph) move forward slowly until the front slips under the edge and the with the whole board skimming below the surface, see how deep they can ride. Sort of a low-speed hydrofoil! Looks really funny to see someone gliding along behind the boat with water mid-calf and no skis in sight. The bare painted board provides enough traction with no grit or bindings.

The kids aren't very big in the picture, but you can see we are barely above no- wake speed.
... new game for next summer!! How slow can ya' go?!? Cool idea, thanks.

sqlightning

Cadet

hmmm, what sort of speeds are required for this? might have to make 1 or 2 for next year.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Read my post.
Slower than waterskiing.

southkogs

Staff member

hmmm, what sort of speeds are required for this? might have to make 1 or 2 for next year.
Like Skibrain said: doesn't take much. I've seen a few videos with folks runnin' 'em behind light fishing boats with 15HP (granted, pretty light weight people on the disk, tho).

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

So...this is just a round, piece of 3/4" ply...no holes or rope or nothing, and you ride it like water skis? that looks awesome!!

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is "old fun" !! My family did this 40 years ago behind my Lund fishing boat. We learned how to do 360s, ski backwards, and ride on wooden chairs and short step ladders. It was a ball !! Most of the time we pulled at speeds of less than 8 MPH. Heavier riders took greater speeds, but the kids took minimum speeds or the disk would get flat on the surface - then trip (dig in) on a wave spilling the rider.

Our board was 1/2" thick plywood and 37" in diameter (very light). We painted it both sides with a white gloss paint. It was never too slippery as you do need to move your feet around as the boat speed was not always steady. After a bit of practice, deep water starts were done standing up from a crouch (both feet in center of board). Small kids started by lying on the board then getting up on their knees and finally standing. Experienced riders could steer the disk outside the wake and then try to jump the wake coming back behind the boat. We used a conventional ski rope and our kids were eventually allowed to use ski's but ofter preferred the "skitter board" when the lake was flat. We still have the board but my kids are almost 50 now and not into boating. We will have to get the grand kids started on the "skitter board" soon.

This was long before the days of pulling high speed tubes and much safer. It certainly drew attention of other boaters on the lake. If you have youngsters, I suggest you get one make and give it a try -you will certainly enjoy the experience.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Looks like great inexpensive fun. Now I have another winter project :D