2 Foot start giving me some trouble

bmowers

Seaman
Re: 2 Foot start giving me some trouble

I can tell you that laying out over the ski with one leg dragging helping causes much more lift. Two foot staring is leaning back much more and pushing the ski to get you up. That requires a boat with the hp to overcome the angle of the ski and PULL you up. Not gonna happen with an underpowered boat. Most two foot starts in tournaments are made with the skier sitting on the edge of the dock and two or three wraps in his or her hand. Boat goes and you just stand. But when we did that those boots where tight.

Don't kill yourself trying to deep water two foot start with a boat that is dragging you.

Thanks for telling me I don't have enough boat for a two foot start. I am having fun with the one foot start and am on a 35 consecutive roll at the moment. I will try the two foot start again when I am behind a boat that has more HP than mine.

I think I can one foot start then actually put the rear foot into the rear HO boot then pull the laces up tight before I start making cuts in the water. I have a RTP rear that I can swap out for a rear Level HO boot. I bought the boot and would like to at least try it out. Makes sense about being dragged in the water for a two foot start.

Thanks.

Willdiver

Cadet

I've never tried one foot. I just keep my left knee at my chest (at my age, close is good enough) and right heel close to my butt. Idle out about 2 sec to stabilize, and....."HIT IT!". when it feels time to stand, wait another 2 sec or so, and I'm on plane. The biggest problem most have with 2 foot is standing too soon. Easier said than done, but wait longer.

Will

bmowers

Seaman

I've never tried one foot. I just keep my left knee at my chest (at my age, close is good enough) and right heel close to my butt. Idle out about 2 sec to stabilize, and....."HIT IT!". when it feels time to stand, wait another 2 sec or so, and I'm on plane. The biggest problem most have with 2 foot is standing too soon. Easier said than done, but wait longer.

Will

Will I will try that next year. I am winterizing the boat this weekend. Have a good winter.

harakasana

Cadet
It was interesting reading all this advice on 1 foot versus 2. When I went to slalom as a teenager, I tried 1 foot in a few times but could not keep the ski straight. I tried both feet in, and after a couple of tries got the hang of "steering" the ski as I come out of the water. Haven't tried it the other way since. I usually ski behind a 1970 17' Bayliner with the 130. It takes a bit to get on a plane, but has never been too much of a pull for me (I weigh about 160 lbs). I have also skied a few times behind my boat- a very light 14' wooden runabout with a 50hp outboard. The trick for me (like others said) is getting the right angle on the ski (45-deg) and have the boat drag you at idle a couple of seconds before you HIT IT.

I saw a couple of people mention different ropes- would someone please explain to me how that would help getting out of the water?

FYI, I'm goofy foot too, but not from Minnesota :)

basalt51

Seaman
It is more the handle than the rope. Some handles have a deep V for the handle that you can put the end of the ski in. I think the idea is this helps you control the ski tip. I however do not like them. Been 2 foot deep water starting for 30 years, and if I put my ski tip in one of those handles I cannot get up.

Best advice for the deep water 2 foot start- wait, wait, wait some more and when you first say "hit it" you gotta let your body sink into your ski, ie the boat will pull you into the ski. Just go with it and wait. Don't fight the ski, don't stand up. Before you know it you are on top of the water. I too like to angle slightly (no more than 10 - 20 degrees for me) to the right (RFF) and just go with it.

harakasana

Cadet
Oh, that makes sense. Personally I've always been OK with the rope just to the left of my ski. But I can see how that would be helpful keeping everything straight, especially if you don't have your back foot in to "steer" the ski.