2 Foot start giving me some trouble

bmowers

Seaman
I would just like to say that I have had a great summer skiing. Up to this point (57 years( I have skied 1 time per year for the last 5 years. Not getting any younger and wanting to ski more than that I bought a boat Bayliner BR175 and just love it.
I have skied 28 days so far this year. I progressed from a fairly competent combo skier to getting up on 1 consistently and making turns with confident wake crossing in both directions. I have great fun on my HO Compfree Ride 67". I use a deep V rope and that is a great help for getting up on one. I had dropped and skied on one in June and July doing this with no problem what so ever after two months. I started the process of getting up on my HO Freeride in Mid July. I tried with two feet in 9 times in a row without success. Rope forces became very overpowering and I let go each time. I had read on this forum (thanks ski brain and others) that you can try a one foot start. So I tried that. First time I got farther than I ever did with two feet on the stick. Next pull 5 minutes later I was up and what a great moment that was. The start was a little wobbly but I was up! The spray was like a wall of water and that really surprised me. I continued to get up 2 out of 4 times this way. Starting in August I became more consistent getting up 13-14 times in a row, mess up 1 then put together another 13-14 straight ups with one foot in. After 50 ups with one foot I (thought) I was ready for the two foot start again. I tried it three times in a row with two feet in the board. Each time it seems that I was falling over to the right side (left foot forward) and the ski was plowing through the water and I had to let go. Now I know that some pros still get up on one (Thomas Degasperi) and some still use a boot and RTP in their competitions (Will Asher, Andy Maple).

I don't like to fail. Should I just forget about it and stick to the 1 foot start? I would like to get this down if possible. Other people are able to do it. What would you suggest? As soon as I put two feet in the ski I feet like I don't have any control of the ski at all. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Thanks.

Brian
IMG_1356.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1353.jpgIMG_1354.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 2 Foot start giving me some trouble

Stick to the 1 foot. 2 foot starts are hard, especially behind an under powered I/O. You can't compare getting up behind a competition ski boat and a Bayliner (I know, I own one).

I spend about 1/2 my time skiing behind my Bayliner and the other half behind a Malibu Response or Mastercraft Prostar. The starts are much more difficult behind the Bayliner. While I can 2 foot start behind the ski boats, I don't - too much work if you don't have to do it.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not stick with what works? I know a lot of really good skiers that use a 1-foot-in deep water start.

But if you are dead set on a 2 footed deep water start...
Perhaps you are trying to stand up too soon? It sounds like you are keeping tension in your back leg or maybe even extending your back leg on take off. This will cause the ski to plow (instead of plane) until enough force builds up to rip the rope out of your hands. Instead, try flexing your legs on take off. Think of it as a retraction movement.

Or just start 1 foot in and enjoy some turns.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

stick with 1 foot - I applaud you for it and from what my dad says it's the quickest way to get up - for what ever reason, i can't do 1 foot yet (doesn't make sense to my mind) but can do 2 foot consistently now - i think it's just a preference thing for some. My dad was a great skier and always did 1 foot starts - my mom did 2 and they learned the same year.

I'm no expert at Slalom - just transitioned myself this year but I do know that I angle my ski about 45 degrees toward the boat and pull up some with my back foot just before I say 'hit it' If i do that one thing I feel the ski up on plane in 2 seconds - then I just stay crouched over the ski another 2 seconds or so. At least the case with my current ski. The pull was a lot harder with my other slalom ski.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BMowers, great to hear the progress report and the frequency that you're getting our! My first line of advice for improving is always "ski more." :)

I agree with sticking with what works. i bought a used ski from a buddy about 15 yrs ago with double boots so was forced to learn a two foot start. (Having skied 25 yrs not) with your rear toe strap binding not a factor so don't sweat it.

Sounds like you are using the easy-up long V handle still. And that's great. I don't use one. If you really gotta try it, About the only 2-foot advice I'd offer is without the deep v rope. I'm RFF, and when I start I point my ski at least 45 degrees to right of straight. Maybe 70-80 degrees. Let it flop way over. As the boat pulls me up, the ski straightens right out. If I have the ski straight, or the LEAST bit to my left, I tip over to my left. Without fail. Since you're LFF the idea is reversed( point your ski outside of rope way to LeFT). leave the Baggie swim trunks at home, knees bent and arms straight. Seems weird but it works.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right foot first? That's goofy!

Why yes, I do crack me up.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

2 foot starts are hard, especially behind an under powered I/O. You can't compare getting up behind a competition ski boat and a Bayliner (I know, I own one).

That makes sense, I'm going to try 2 foot next time I go behind my 23' boat. Glad I read this.

On a side note: Lots of Minnesota guys in here.

haulnazz15

Captain

Count me in with the goofy-foot tribe. I have double boots, so 2-foot start is mandatory.

sangerwaker

Commander

Count me in with the goofy-foot tribe. I have double boots, so 2-foot start is mandatory.

Me too! When I do actually put on my stick anyway.... :)

(Another MN guy too)

Last edited:

skibrain

Got a solid 2 1/2 months of skiing before we're done. Well, until the water is solid.

oldjeep

Admiral

Got a solid 2 1/2 months of skiing before we're done. Well, until the water is solid.

Lucky. I'll be done in a few weeks when the snobirds I ski with leave for their winter ski lake.

haulnazz15

Captain

Heck I put it away in October, and I'm much further south. I don't care to wear a wetsuit though, so early October is about as far as we get before I become a wuss with cold water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Heck I put it away in October, and I'm much further south. I don't care to wear a wetsuit though, so early October is about as far as we get before I become a wuss with cold water.

I'm good with a short suit until the end of October, but when the weather starts turning colder there is little chance of getting my wife to be happy taking me out to ski ;) The Malibu has a heater, need to see if I can get that in the boat we are buying next year.

skibrain

Air 48/water 72 for our start this morning. Awesome foggy sunrise.

oldjeep

Admiral

Air 48/water 72 for our start this morning. Awesome foggy sunrise.

Nice. I'm hoping to get out Sunday AM. It is the time of year in the mornings when thoughts start to turn to the other ski season.

bmowers

Seaman

Thanks to all who replied. I think I will stick with one foot start. Except when I have my sunglasses on I can get up every time. I can't say enough about my H O comp free ride ski. If it's a $400 ski that I got for $100 at a Wilson Marine close out.

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

if one foot works go with it. but if you are wanting to make two work try having the boat pull you in the water at an in gear idle until you feel what the ski is doing and you are comfortable controling it with both in. then as you are trying to get up lift your rear heel up a little bit. this will put the ski in a better position for you and help keep you from locking your back leg, which makes the ski plow instead of planing as fast as possable

bmowers

Seaman

if one foot works go with it. but if you are wanting to make two work try having the boat pull you in the water at an in gear idle until you feel what the ski is doing and you are comfortable controling it with both in. then as you are trying to get up lift your rear heel up a little bit. this will put the ski in a better position for you and help keep you from locking your back leg, which makes the ski plow instead of planing as fast as possable

AMOSH, tried this very thing today. My wife pulled me at 3mph. I really had to concentrate to control the ski. I need to do this another time before I try the two foot start. Got up another 3 times in a row 1 foot today and fell for the first time this year passing over some unexpected large wakes. Oh well, I am enjoying myself immensely.

Will keep posting progress although the ski year is drawing to a close.

Brian

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

did you try lifting your back heel about an inch off the ski? if not try it next time your out. doing yhis will help the ski want to plane out and track better while you are dragging and as you are getting up. good luck

kahuna123

I can tell you that laying out over the ski with one leg dragging helping causes much more lift. Two foot staring is leaning back much more and pushing the ski to get you up. That requires a boat with the hp to overcome the angle of the ski and PULL you up. Not gonna happen with an underpowered boat. Most two foot starts in tournaments are made with the skier sitting on the edge of the dock and two or three wraps in his or her hand. Boat goes and you just stand. But when we did that those boots where tight.

Don't kill yourself trying to deep water two foot start with a boat that is dragging you.