Everyone is enjoying my new ski but me..... Still can't get up on it......

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry to hear this Fiat4Fun.... I was hoping to hear success!!! I think some video may help. Are you pushing down with your front foot after you say "hit it"? I started with both feet in and pushed down on my front foot and pulled my back foot towards my butt while pushing down with my front foot. I found a really good article someone wrote while documenting how long it took them to get up. Let me see if I can get the link for you.......

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the same problem, rope getting ripped from my hands. I had to have my driver ease into the throttle a little slower instead of just slamming it down. My guess is, there is more mass to move now days so there is more resistance and I just couldn't hold on. My shoulders would get pulled forward then I'd get water in my nose and finally have the rope jerked from me. Just a thought. Give it a try and see what you come up with.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
a Deep V ski rope helps me alot - i want to ween myself off of it next year maybe - i wore mine out in about 1 year anyhow.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Are you wearing ski gloves? Did not see an answer on that one yet.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy,
Yes, I always wear gloves. Going out this weekend to try again.I do have a V rope too. Looking forward to being on the water

mrmagrath

Cadet
Hey Fiat, I feel your pain! You can always drop a ski easily by not putting your whole foot in the drop ski binding. Just the front of your foot, with your heel on top of the rear binding, sort of like a scuff type sandal. Then when you lift your heel and let your leg move back to release the ski, it just falls off! Drag your toe for stability and ease it across to feel for the rear binding. Take as much time as you need. You probably know all this anyway, but yeah........
Good luck!

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, the last few attempts felt better, thanks to all the advice. I didn't get up, but it seems to be getting closer. But now the end is here for the season, and will need to wait until 2015. Thanks again……… for all encouragement and advice……. Enjoy your winter

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Write this years thoughts down. You WILL make it up next year. Just evaluate what's happening. I've NEVER had the handle ripped out of my hand until this year. I pondered and pondered until I figured it out. So, put the noggin to work and you will be up on the ski that everyone else loves!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fiat, any exciting news to tell yet? I've only been back up once this year due to water/weather but the season has just started. Good luck this year. Looking forward to hearing of your success.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to the 2015 season (almost). Not sure where home is for you, we are still probably at least 3 weeks out from my first attempt of the season. Was out yesterday on the boat, the water temp was 49. Brrr.

I picked up a wide ski over the winter (Connelly MidSX), and lost about 15lbs so far... so I am looking forward to my first attempt this year. I am GOING to make it up this spring!

Good luck this year...

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fiat,

I struggled with my wide ski for several years - you can probably find my story in these forums somewhere. What finally worked for me was taking my back foot out of the binding and pushing my front foot down, to get the ski as flat as possible. 45 degrees didn't work for me at all - I just plowed and lost the rope. I had to get the tip down before the pull. And it worked. Strangest feeling, though...

Then, when I finally did get up, I didn't enjoy the ski - it was as if it turned for me in soft, wide arcs. Not the cut and turn I wanted to relive from my youth! But I don't know if my 59 year old back can handle that stuff anymore... ;)

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it's 2015 and I am getting the boat ready for another season. Hope to get out next weekend, but doubt I will try to ski, just do the boat check out deal. But will try to ski again this year. Last year, I got closer, and was easily up on two skis, so I will try one again. Might try working my upper body at the gym a bit, and try to get the ski on top of the water faster on a single than I did last year.. My Radar wide ski was in my bedroom the entire winter, as we "bond" to get ready for this year's ski season. Still weigh too much (250lbs) but will try again. Just a side note, other's enjoyed my sky last year, and I did have it on one foot when I used two skis??..

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fiat- it's been a month - have you been able to get up on your ski? I will be going out Friday for my first time this year and am hoping I will still remember how I finally got up last year - albeit on my super wide ski! lol

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get after if Fiat! Regular progress reports expected! :)

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fiat4Fun , Any skiing progress made? I'll speak collectively, we are wishing you EXCELLENT LUCK! You will make it up this year!

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I just suck,
I tried last year, up until October, and could not get up. I did use the ski with another and ski on two skis, but that does not count..... Others did enjoy it, and that makes me feel a bit better. I did however get the ski from my brother that we used in Tahoe in the 90's, which is a Connely? with a big front tip with a bend in it. Might try that this year. I have to say, can't wait until boating season here arrives, which is usually in May....... we are still riding snowmobiles.........

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just don't give up! Go with the "easy up" or "Deep V" handle. It makes a huge difference.

Does the boat have a wakeboard tower? If so, attach the rope up there and it will give u a better pull until u get used to getting up then u can go to the ski ring.

What exactly is happening when you fall? If you can describe that, maybe we can give some pointers. My gf kept trying to stand too soon and the back of the ski would fishtail back and forth and she would eventually fall. Once she stayed in her "ball" or tuck position a little longer she popped right up. Describe what's happening or post videos once u r back on the water and we will assist from there. THIS IS YOUR YEAR!