Everyone is enjoying my new ski but me..... Still can't get up on it......

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Everyone is enjoying my new ski but me..... Still can't get up on it......

It would be good if you could get some video to post so that everyone could see. I'm sure you would get some better help from the group. I can't wait to hear that you finally are getting up!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I finally got up my first time on a single ski a few weeks ago. I, too, read a lot online and watched videos. I agree having the ski pointed at a 45 degree angle and try not to lean forward. I read that if it is pulling out of your hands to lean the ski forward and lean back. Keep your hands and handle low on the ski. Here is my video of me getting up. We do have an old Big Easy which is suppose to be for people over 200 pounds. You can get up easy with the boat going slow at take off. My husband said he was pulling me at 25mph in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVB1H20JoeQ

Last edited:

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for the video…….. It makes me want to get out there and try it again. This has been a tough summer to get out on the boat, but I have skied six times on doubles, but have not even tried the "new" single ski. Others have enjoyed it…….. still…….

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
One thing I tried just last weekend and it seemed to work really well for me. I've always been pulled at idle for 10-20 feet before having the driver hit the throttle. Last weekend, I tried something a little different. I idled for a while like usual then, concentrate on keeping as small as a 220 lb guy can and keeping my chest up then had the driver ease into the throttle a little more, maybe 5-6 mph, not sure. This gave me the chance to really start tracking well with the ski. Once I was on track, I concentrated on pushing my chest up then yelled go and off we went. Unfortunately I didn't have enough prop to get me up last weekend but have no doubt that this will work this weekend when my new prop is on the boat.

That's another question. Do you think the boat has enough "pull' to get you outta the water with all the folks on the boat? How big are the other guys that are getting up on your ski?

oldjeep

Admiral
The slow drag would just kill me, I just have my wife dump the throttle and give me all 350HP.

4.3L should be enough to get you up, I pulled guys your size out with a 3.0L in my last boat. If you have a bunch of people in the boat, get them forward as far as you can so that the boat can get speed and get up on plane quicker.

mandmj

Seaman
Well, if it makes you feel any better, i've had the same problem this summer. I've ski'd on doubles on and off for a few years, but trying to learn the slalom thing has been very frustrating. I'm 195 and 6'3", and tried on a combo 67" ski only thus far. I've got a couple of slalom skis i was given to try, but haven't had time yet (honestly thought the combo would be easier to get up on but now i'm not so sure). I just plow and swallow enough water to almost make me...well, you know. My boat is a 25' larson w/ 320hp small block and a duoprop, so holeshot is pretty good. I read the advice hear w/ great interest. Hopefully will get to try again this season, but time is fleeting...

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
You'd be surprised Oldjeep. The "gradual" pull actually eliminates the getting off balance, veering off to one side, sucking water, trying to correct ski position etc. I doubt it's something I'll need "forever" but while getting back into the swing of things, it really works well and it doesn't pull near as much as you would expect. As they say in the Life cereal commercial "Try it, You'll like it"!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I agree with being pulled. I had never been on a single ski. My first attempt all I wanted to do was get the ski on with rope in hand and just have my husband put it in gear - not accelerate the boat. Just in gear you go slow thru the water and I just tried to keep the ski steady. The more I did this the more I was able to try to control the ski and figure out how to keep it from falling over. I did this for awhile until I started turning and then yelled at my husband to STOP! I then got straightened out and had him put it in gear and started feeling the pull by the boat again. Pretty soon I noticed that I could keep the ski pretty much stable in front of me. If felt like how I feel just before I say "hit it" on double skis. I said "hit it" and my husband was surprised because my plan was to just practice getting the feeling of being in the single ski and the boat just in gear. He accelerated the boat and I held on and pretty soon the rope sprung out of my hands. I then remembered what I read that if it pulls out of your hand to point the tip of the ski towards the boat and lean back (not forward). I could tell on that pull that I was leaning forward. I tried again and was shocked as all get all that I actually got up! I think had I not taken the time to get used to being pulled with the single ski on just in gear with no acceleration and figuring our how to keep the ski still with both my feet in I would not have gotten up. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
You'd be surprised Oldjeep. The "gradual" pull actually eliminates the getting off balance, veering off to one side, sucking water, trying to correct ski position etc. I doubt it's something I'll need "forever" but while getting back into the swing of things, it really works well and it doesn't pull near as much as you would expect. As they say in the Life cereal commercial "Try it, You'll like it"!

I've tried it and I don't like it, but if it works for you then that is all that matters.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, your description of what is happening to you is EXACTLY what this summer has been like for me. I FINALLY bought a boat, and wouldnt you know it, the water temp is so cold now Im not sure Im going to get another shot at it. There are some GREAT ideas in this thread, as well as my "middle age" thread.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can't wait to hear your description of what finally got you up - as it seems like it is different for everyone!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Drag a bit, lean back and point your chest up, up, up. You'll be out of the water before you know it! If you are going over the tip you are "plowing" through the water with your hips or chest. Remember body position!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Drag a bit, lean back and point your chest up, up, up. You'll be out of the water before you know it! If you are going over the tip you are "plowing" through the water with your hips or chest. Remember body position!

Sounds about right!

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd like to try one of these sometime: The Connelly Big Easy (no longer made) is pretty unique with 700 sq. inches of surface area - almost like a wakeboard with slalom bindings. The Connelly Big Daddy - about the biggest wide ski currently - is 550 sq. in.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'd like to try one of these sometime: The Connelly Big Easy (no longer made) is pretty unique with 700 sq. inches of surface area - almost like a wakeboard with slalom bindings. The Connelly Big Daddy - about the biggest wide ski currently - is 550 sq. in.

I'll have to tell you I had a friend recommend this 8 years ago as her husband was a large man and he was able to get up on one. I found one on Ebay in the off season and bid on it pretty early with a competitive bid. After thinking about it thought that maybe I shouldn't have gotten it as my husband was wakeboarding and I was double skiing. I thought it was early and for sure someone would outbid me - well, go figure - now one did. I won the bid and It was shipping to us. My husband tried it the next summer and he got up - but he prefers to wakeboard so it sat in a storage shed until I took it out a few weeks ago. I didn't think that the boots were adjustable from what I remembered and was happy to see that they were and I could get them small enough for my size 6 feet. After I learned to wakeboard I really hated being twisted - so my husband was thinking of getting an old wakeboard and putting ski boots on it for me to try - then he remember the Big Easy. Got it out and I was determined to get up on it. Now I've never slalom skied and I haven't gotten outside the wake yet to see if I will like it or not - I'm a terror on 2 skis cutting and going over the wakes. I thought about ordering the Big Daddy but worried that the surface area of it would be so small that I may be like the rest and have a hard time getting up. So, I decided to use next summer to work on the Big Easy and get comfortable on the single ski - cross the wakes and then when I feel totally at ease and want to be challenged I see about getting a Big Daddy or something similar. Guess I better hold on to my Antique Big Easy!!!

oldjeep

Admiral

I used to have a Little Easy, kind of a weird little ski but it worked great in choppy water.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not to try to motivate you or anything but my 220 lb, 5'7" butt got out today and got up on my new Obrien Synchro (69 inch). It took my 4 tries but dang it, I did it. I will be waiting for the same report from you, just sayin'! Good luck sir!

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, not much luck yesterday :-(
Same feeling, feel like a rock in the water, Was able to get up on two, did a run. Then tried to get up on one. Thinking I should just do what I do on two skis, sit back and let the boat work and lean back. Even used a rope with the v groove to try to keep my ski straight. Did not even feel like I was moving in the water, then pulled the rope out of my hands, Put on another ski, and up I went for another long run. Enjoyed skiing, just frustrated with the single……. Will try to get a video next time out.