Anyone add two nova bindings to a set of combo ski/Are older combo skis that much bet

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ter?

THe best combos I have ever riden is a pair of my uncles old factor 5's very hard to find. I have tried several 2004 and newer skis and they are flimsy and flexible...seems anything that says glassfilled I should stay away from....I use a connelly concept personally but want a quality set of combos.

Do I need to look for something made in the 80/90s to get that rigid quality??

Furthermore has anyone added two Nova or X9 bindings to a combo set to get a more secure ride?

Might be over kill..

oldjeep

Admiral
Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Anyone add two nova bindings to a set of combo ski/Are older combo skis that much

How in the world are you flexing a combo ski, do you mean when you drop one or actually riding a pair?

I don't believe it if he is skiing on combos. How could you even cut hard enough to make a set of combos "flex"?! If he is slalom skiing while using a ski from a set of combos, then maybe, but it'd likely be a short ski (65"). I am over 220lbs and can use a 67" ski from a set of combos and not run into flex problems. I wonder if he thinks the ski is "flexing" when it's really a difference in "feel". . .

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone add two nova bindings to a set of combo ski/Are older combo skis that much

I don't believe it if he is skiing on combos. How could you even cut hard enough to make a set of combos "flex"?! If he is slalom skiing while using a ski from a set of combos, then maybe, but it'd likely be a short ski (65"). I am over 220lbs and can use a 67" ski from a set of combos and not run into flex problems. I wonder if he thinks the ski is "flexing" when it's really a difference in "feel". . .

They definatly ski poorly, I have tried newer quantum, odessey, and celebrities. They all seem flimsy ( can flex them easillty on with your hands) and have no feel or confidence when slaloming.
My concept is very rigid and rides awesome. The old 1980's ski are very ridid and ride awesome compared to newer skis. Closer to my slalom that what is currently available. Fearful to drop $300 on a pair of performers only to find out they are the same wide body, no feel flexible ski the others are.

I would love to find a twin to my current concept if slaloms can be used as a set of two skis.

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, combos are not really meant to have much confidence or performance when slaloming. They are a way to progress to slalom and then you get a real slalom and use one of the combos as a drop.

No reason you couldn't use a second slalom as a set, but I really wonder how you are supposed to get your foot out of a slalom binding on the fly. I know that unless I undid the laces and dropped the back that there is no way I could get out of one of my sidewinders and a full wrap binding - no way.

Last edited:

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, combos are not really meant to have much confidence or performance when slaloming. They are a way to progress to slalom and then you get a real slalom and use one of the combos as a drop.

No reason you couldn't use a second slalom as a set, but I really wonder how you are supposed to get your foot out of a slalom binding on the fly. I know that unless I undid the laces and dropped the back that there is no way I could get out of one of my sidewinders and a full wrap binding - no way.

I can deepwater start with both feet in the bindings. Edit, I was looking at some pictures and my ski is a 2006 or 2007 Hook.

oldjeep

Admiral

I can deepwater start with both feet in the bindings. Edit, I was looking at some pictures and my ski is a 2006 or 2007 Hook.

What does that have to do with kicking off a combo that has a slalom boot on it?

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What does that have to do with kicking off a combo that has a slalom boot on it?

I guess nobody kicks a boot off so it really does't matter. Just thought it might be nice to have nice bindings on a solid set of skis for guests.

So has anyone used slalom bindings on combos?
Anyone know the difference in rear slalom bindings vs front slalom bindings? Rear bindings seem to have a more univiersal fit.