Combo Skis for Slalom

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys, been skiing 2 skis all my life. Got up 20+ years ago on 1 a few times but I'm alot heavier now - around 210 lbs.

Been using some old wood water skis - fine for 2 skis but I can't get up with 1 - they are not big enough (64")

Anyhow was looking at the Obrien Celebrity 68" combo and Obrien Advantage 68" (seems to be the same ski) 159.00 for 1 and 112 for the other (on sale)

Also looking at the Connelly Cayman 67" 179.00 - seems to be a nice ski but can't try one on since no one around here carries. But i hear good reviews.

my foot is size 11 and pretty wide and I tried a few sets of skis that seems really tight to me. Saw some HO Blast skis that looked really nice but boy are they tight when I tried on

Any suggestions - want to get into Slalom now since I've have my own boat for a the last 2 years - always relied on my dad's boat before so I didn't get out very much until the last few years.

have the blessing from the wife for a new set of combos - doesn't want to fork out the cash for a good slalom if it doesn't work out - ha ha

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Combo Skis for Slalom

For big feet the HO sandel bindings are nice, my son can get his size 12's into them. Not sure if they come on any of their current combos, but there are a lot of them around. Although, honestly if you want to slalom - I would just buy a slalom ski and use one of your existing skis to get up.

Edit - found them, they are called Helix bindings, and maybe this is what you already tried? Or did you try a Blast with different bindings on it?

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...HO_Blast_Combo_With_Helix_HH2C22_67/index.asp

Last edited:

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your goal is to slalom, I would recommend buying a USED real slalom ski and continue to use one of your existing combos as a drop ski. The binding placement is different (further forward) the rocker or overall curvature of the ski is different (more of it) the bevels and bottom shape are designed differently. And any 1/2 of 65 - 67" combo set is going to be on the small/short size for you.

Look for a 68-69" slalom in your price range with a Large or XL binding. Will try to post a few good examples to consider later on.

most importantly: "I have the blessing from my wife..." :)

oldjeep

Admiral

If you were in MN, I'd have a good "bigger guy" performance ski for you to try out. I've got a 69" KD powercarve that I'm thinking of getting rid of. Good for getting up behind under powered boats, but still usable up to about 32 MPH.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yup, I'd recommend a separate slalom ski, preferably 68-69". If you must go with the combo set, get the 68" set if at all possible. You can get up on a 67" in a deep water start, but it will wear you out if your boat doesn't have ample HP to get you out of the hole. The extra inch of ski makes a surprisingly large difference. If you are just dropping a ski, then it doesn't matter too much. You'll be much happier with a used slalom ski though. Check out Ski-It-Again.COM to find some good deals on used ones in your area.

oldjeep

Admiral

Also check the web for closeouts on non current year skis. (Barts, Over - tons, Wakehouse, waterskis.com) My wife just picked up a 2012 Radar Senate for me, for a few hundred under what the 2013's are going for. I typically buy my bindings locally, but luckily the guys who run waterskis.com have a location 5 blocks from my house.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I took your advice about just getting a slalom and dropping one for now - i picked up a used O'brien World Team 68" ski for 100 bucks - Hope to try it out in the next week or so :)

oldjeep

Admiral

Sounds like you got a good deal, good luck!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

My wife was kind enough to let me demo the ski yesterday. I tried 3 times to get up on it deep water and couldn't. Didn't really give up , we didn't have a lot of time and I'm sure I don't know what I'm doing as well as I could. So I just went the 2 ski route.

I was able to drop a ski 2 times and ride the ski around the lake without failing both times. I was going 28 (my normal 2 ski speed) and it seemed too slow - got up to about 33 and it seemed too fast. Settled in on around 30 but I still felt really foreign out there. Ski seemed high to me and it sprayed alot in front of the ski - is that normal ?

Ski was very stable and went out over the wake but didn't know how to maneuver that well. I think I was pretty tired already after the 3 deep water tries.

My boat is a 125 horse outboard on a 19' boat - Boat will plane in 4 seconds usually. ? I really only guessed on my weight - we haven't had a scale in the house for 10 years. Maybe I'm closer to 215 or 220 - I'll have to weigh myself somewhere. Do you think I'm underpowered ? Do you think this ski is big enough for me ?

oldjeep

Admiral

If it is spraying a lot in the front, then my guess would be either too much weight forward or not enough speed. Getting up on one ski takes practice, especially on a smaller HP boat. When I'm skiing behind my FILs Malibu it is a lot easier to get out of the water than behind my 140HP I/O. I'd just continue to drop one and save your energy for when you are up.

skibrain

Slalom skis shoot a lot of spray forward due to the tunnel bottom design. Normal. The combination of tunnel and bevels makes the ski track differently than your flat bottom combo and may feel wierd at first.. Like it is riding on rails.

As you gain experience you can trust the ski to hold an edge which the combo never will.

No apologies needed for start on two and drop. 68 a bit small for 220, but skip the slalom starts next time to save strength. :)

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for the advice. How much pressure to i put on my back foot - do i put the heel down. I was riding on the ball of of my rear foot most of the time. I'm guessing I need to lean back some and put my foot flat ?

jkust

Rear Admiral

That 125 HP is massive compared to what we started deep water slaloming behind back in the day. I've always used my free leg to help push me up when the hp is lacking. It becomes like riding a bike and no matter how underpowered the boat or how overloaded you will get up every time. BTW that's a nice looking BL.

skibrain

How much pressure on back foot?
No more than front foot. Heel down is fine. Balanced stance with knees slightly soft. DO NOT lock front leg straight. If anything, better to imagine straightening rear leg as it will help push knees and hips forward.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi guys, I got a new rope today - needed one anyhow. So i got an O'Brien deep V rope and also did reading on how to position myself a little better.. I did get up on the 2nd try today but man did I drag a while - seemed like 30 seconds. My wife said it was about 10-15 seconds. Both starts where with both feet in. I guess next time I'll try dragging a foot - but I seemed to remember i got up 20+ years ago with two... but that is too much dragging for me.

had my ski out about 12-15 inches - Nothing but a wall of water and i closed my eyes - i couldn't open them until for several seconds after I was all the way up. Talk about a weird feeling skiing with your eyes closed. But hey i did it.

Took my gps out this time and I found that going 4000 was 28 mph and not 30. So i was a few off on my guesses but it seemed I needed at least 28-29 to feel fast enough. But I still think the ski might be a little to small for me - b/c the pull is pretty intense the whole time. I checked my weight at the grocery store and if it was right I way 223 (ouch !) I hope that scale was way off - going to find a real scale this weekend.

Have my eye on the 69" obrien sequence - hopefully i can save up for that over the winter - or something a inch or 2 longer and a little wider.

no need to respond - just an update :)

take er easy.