speed to slalom ski

wojciecj

Cadet
Hey guys, I am considering buying a 1974 Glastron GT-150. It has a 80hp mercury. This past summer I learned how to ski and slalom ski and I was wondering if the 80hp engine would be enough to get me out of the water? I am 5' 11'' and 165lbs. I really have no idea about this since the boat I learned how to ski on was a V8 Ford 350. Also what is a good speed to pull a slalom skier at? Thanks a ton.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: speed to slalom ski

Lol, well you should find out who was able to score an engine Ford never made first (it was a 351w, likely) :). In any case, most people slalom ski around 26-30mph depending on several factors like skier weight, ski length, and general comfort. I prefer closer to 30mph, professional slalom skiers run the course up to 36mph. So, in short, I'd think 28-30mph ought to be a good starting speed and you can slow down/speed up as you feel necessary once up. Now, an 80HP engine isn't going to be the easiest to do a deep water start on, but the GT-150 is a pretty light boat, so it's not ideal, but definitely doable. I was at 205-210lbs and got up behind a 17' bass boat with a Merc 115, so it should be somewhat equivalent to your shorter boat with less HP and lower weight.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The gt150 will be fine w/ the 80 hp. You might want to experiment with a few different props. A 17" pitch would give you better hole shot. I had an '82 GX-150 w/ omc 90 hp. Very similar hull but an open bow and dual console. With a 19" pitch it would pull me (165 lb) up on a slalom. had a nice wake at 34-35 mph, and with a top speed of 43-44 mph was fast enough to barefoot behind. Bought it for $2500. Sold it 4 yrs later for $2850. :)

h20skiluvr

Cadet

First, congrats on your success! Glad to see your interested in continuing to enjoy what is truly a great, relaxing way to have fun and get a workout. Both gentlemen gave great advice, just keep having fun!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

with your weight i don't see any issues.

81 charger

Seaman Apprentice

no problems you will be good behind that boat. my dad is an awesome slalom skier and he likes to run around 35-40mph but hes really good. when he cuts his head aint even a foot off the water!!!!!!!

dwco5051

Commander

All the advice you have received from the other posters is spot on.

If your motor doesn’t have power trim you might want to lower the angle one hole to assist on the initial hole shot. Once you are up 1 or 2 mph drop in top speed is a lot better than getting dragged one hundred yards through the water trying to get up.

I was a few pounds heavier than you back when my daughter and I used to ski several evenings a week with a 15 ?’ bass boat with an 85 hp Mercury. We would just drop the motor one notch for skiing and then move it back up if we were going to run up and down the lake until late fishing.

Also we would take my grandson who weighed about 100# along for an observer and never had a problem. Don’t expect to load 4 he men at 225# each along and expect the same results as with only two people in the boat and 1 person on skis

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

An 80hp is plenty to pull skiers. You the skier are in charge of the speed, You would probably find 30 mph more than fast enough. Tournament speeds top out at 36mph, At that speed the water will feel like concrete.

Last edited:

kahuna123

I would not buy it. The GT 150 maybe ok for you but a larger good skier will pull it all over the place. 80-90hp is a good hp for the that boat. With a ski pole in a tight turn pulling a tube hard that boat will stand straight up. . The 16CVX with a 120-140 is twice the boat.

If you really want a Glastron take both models out and do some tight turns at speed.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer

I would not buy it. The GT 150 maybe ok for you but a larger good skier will pull it all over the place. 80-90hp is a good hp for the that boat. With a ski pole in a tight turn pulling a tube hard that boat will stand straight up. . The 16CVX with a 120-140 is twice the boat.

If you really want a Glastron take both models out and do some tight turns at speed.
What he said. The small boat will be squirmy when pulling a good slalom skier. A good skier likes it fast and pulls really hard. The faster you go the lighter the boat is in the water compounding the problem. With that said, myself or a lot of guys on this forum would have no problem pulling you all day in the small boat because we know what to expect. The problem will be when you throw the keys to a new driver, girlfriend or buddy that had two beers because you want to ski. You will have fun either way but having a good driver in a smaller boat that understands pulling you straight and safe as you yank the boat around will be criticle. Not trusting a driver in your boat while your swinging back and forth is a buzz kill in a small boat because good drivers are harder to find. If you have good consistent drivers then go for it but if it's going to be a revolving door of buddy's then get the bigger boat.

Last edited:

kahuna123

The CVS16 hull is a completely different design than the GT150. That is a dangerous boat with HP and a big skier. Very poor designed hull. I owned a CVS16 with a 140 was bare footing at 12 years old. But then a few years we skied Christmas day here.

Don't buy the 150. Look around there are much more stable platforms.