New person here and old Connelly trick ski restoration

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice
I just found this site, great to see there are other ?old school? waterski enthusiasts out there. At the lake I like to go to all I see are wakeboard boats. I quit skiing just about the time ?skurfing? was getting popular across the US and I?ve been away until about 3 years ago. At 56 years old I found my endurance just isn?t what it once was. Currently I don?t even have a boat, just two 3 person PWC that we use to ski behind. This of course limits what is possible. While I do occasionally use one slalom ski, I pull the PWC all over the place, BAD. I also kneeboard, and try wakeboarding and wakeskating (I just can?t seem to get the hang of that sideways stance plus it kills my knees and back). I tend to trick ski more than anything. Since trick skiing has gone the way of the dinosaur, I had trouble finding a ski. I found a website called ?ski it again? and was able to pick up a Connelly High Performance ski. It had an HO high wrap binding but that has gone to pieces. I ordered a new Connelly binding and that got me wondering if anyone can tell me what years this ski was originally sold. The ski is functionally sound but as you can see in the pics it gets water stained every time I use it. Anyone know what I could use to seal the top to prevent the stains. The bottom doesn?t stain. BTW, great site and people here.
2012-08-16 09.40 (2).jpg

2012-08-16 09.40 (3).jpg

2012-08-16 09.40.jpg

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New person here and old Connelly trick ski restoration

My best recollection is that was the style Connelly was in when competing late high school, early college. I would place the ski around 1987/88.

I can't help on the sealing the top.

I tried to resurrect my old EP GX3 Turboglass and the glue job I did on the top of the ski came undone the first time I tried to get up on that sucker.

haulnazz15

Captain

Rest assured, there are still plenty of trick skiers out there, and they still make newer trick skis as well. I don't know what to tell you on the ski water-spotting other than if you clean up the spots as best you can, then get some fiberglass resin and put a coat or two over the top to seal it up.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

I kinda had an idea the ski was from the mid to late '80s. When I was into skiing a lot more (before my 23 year absence), I had a Kidder Redline trick and I honestly don't remember the slalom I used but it was a Connelly. I was working on my toehold tricks and pretty consistently running 15 to 22 off in the slalom course when I walked away from skiing all together. One of the first skis I bought when I returned was an EP RS720 Kevlar (another oldie) but the same thing happened to it; the bindings went. It was actually too small for me anyway so then I found the Connelly I am currently using. Can't wait to get the new binding in. Like I said, otherwise the Connelly is in perfect working condition, just cosmetically gets the water spots. It's like the top surface is being penetrated slightly by the water because the water spots won't rub or wash off. I tried some protectant (NuVinyl) and that made it look great. All the water spots disappeared but the first time I used the ski, the spots returned. I'm thinking about using something like a clear polyurethane on the top, I just don't want to do more harm than good.

I know I could buy a new trick but I'm not that serious (not yet anyway) to outlay that kind of money. There just are not that many made and most are expert class and demand a pretty high price. I believe the Connelly I have would have been from the intermediate class.

I know there are traditional skiers out there but they seem to be outnumbered about 99 to 1 vs wakeboarders. In fact, most times when I go out even the wakeboard boats are doing something like pulling a tube!!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I still have a set of trick skis, but have finally made the transition to wakeboarding. It was hard at first, because the position was so counter to the positions I am used to with slalom, trick, jumping, barefooting, etc. However, the old body finally made the transition and now I am enjoying it. Wakeboarding is all I can get the kids to do.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

I still have a set of trick skis, but have finally made the transition to wakeboarding. It was hard at first, because the position was so counter to the positions I am used to with slalom, trick, jumping, barefooting, etc. However, the old body finally made the transition and now I am enjoying it. Wakeboarding is all I can get the kids to do.

Traitor... deserter...

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a couple pair of tricks. Green-bottom O'Brien World Team from the mid-70s, and another pair of Pro Trac O'Briens from late 80s.
I would try a rattle can automotive clear coat. Maybe test a spot under the bindings when those are off.

D3skis is still committed to 3-event jump/trick/slalom. (Denny Kidder)

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a buddy that paints Harleys (I've done some painting but I'm no expert) and another that restores and paints old VW bugs. I was just hoping someone could give me some advice from experience. I'm not sure what material the ski top is made of. I do know that lots of Ducati riders clear urethane their carbon fiber to prevent it from yellowing. I used to own a Ducati Monster but never had my carbon fiber cleared since it was stored in a garage. If I decide to use urethane, I'll just do it myself since I have a HVLP spray gun.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

I have the ski ready for the new bindings. Hopefully what I did holds up to use. First I used rubbing compound by hand to remove as much of the stained and weathered surface as I dared. I couldn't use any sand paper because that would have brought fibers to the surface. Anyway, after compounding, I used some scotchbright pad to lightly roughen the surface. I then cleaned it with 90% alcohol. Finally, I applied 3 coats of automotive clear Lacquer. Now I just need the new bindings to come in.

Attachments

• 2012-08-23 19.35.37.jpg
    2012-08-23 19.35.37.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-08-23 19.35.58.jpg
    2012-08-23 19.35.58.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-08-23 19.35.27.jpg
    2012-08-23 19.35.27.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0

haulnazz15

Captain

Looks good as new! Let us know how it turns out.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

The new binding came in unfortunately I have to epoxy the old holes closed. The ski had an HO Competition High Wrap on it when I bought it and I ordered a Connelly binding to replace it. The plate holes aren't even close. Delays, delays...

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks good. Better yet post some action pics.

haulnazz15

Captain

lol, yeah if we ever grab a new lake house, the 70's Cypress Gardens wooden slalom I have is going up on the wall.

aspeck

Staff member

Looking nice ... Connelly changed their logo to the one on your ski in the mid 80's and made the HP line of skis from 1979 - 1990, I believe.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, thanks for the link. For $15 I'm going to see how much the seller would charge to box it up and ship it to me. Unfortunately the previous user was a left foot forward skier and I'm a right foot forward. The front binding would have to be replaced also since it's a recreational binding and I'd need a binding that gives more control like a comp binding. I'm familiar with that ski but I'm thinking that was more of a recreational ski, anyone know?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, it is different from yours. I thought it was the same. Did not look close enough.

oldjeep

Admiral

Hey, thanks for the link. For $15 I'm going to see how much the seller would charge to box it up and ship it to me. Unfortunately the previous user was a left foot forward skier and I'm a right foot forward. The front binding would have to be replaced also since it's a recreational binding and I'd need a binding that gives more control like a comp binding. I'm familiar with that ski but I'm thinking that was more of a recreational ski, anyone know?

No such thing as "comp" bindings when they are that old ;) Take a look at this ski - probabally one of the fanciest skis of its time.
P7240001s.JPG
P7240002s.JPG