Towable Tube for smaller boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhmaina

Seaman
I know there have been other threads on towable tubes but most people have larger boats than I do. I have a Larson 15' Bowrider with a 50HP Mariner. I am currently towing a 60" tube using the tow points on the back of the boat. It works well, but the teenagers I am towing don't like the round tube with the hole in it and want to be able to lie flat or kneel. Can you recommend a 2 person towable that doesn't abuse the rider, can be somewhat steered and works well without a tower pulling it, i.e. doesn't submerge and doesn't cause a ton of spray because of a low pulling rope? Thanks. I have heard people recommend the big mable or the chariot war bird II which looks to me like it would be fun. But, I don't think you can lie down on either of these, and if you can't are they still worth it over the ones you can lie down on?

nhmaina

Seaman
Re: Towable Tube for smaller boat

Something like that, they make 2-seaters too (different brand).

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRAIGHTLINE-RA...211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c15f3cf93

Ahoy!

That's nice looking but I don't know if teenagers would like it. It looks like you can only sit down in it. Also, the tow rope is low on the tube and wouldn't that make it spray alot? We have pulled several different round tubes with this boat and it seems that the higher the tow point on the tube, the less spray from the rope (which makes sense to me).

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have never seen/used a towable that can be "somewhat steered" that anyone really enjoys riding. If they claim to be steerable, they have some type of channels or shallow tracking guides on the bottom and then don't slide and whip like other towables.

Older folks or those looking for a safe, back and neck-comfy ride prefer sit-down tubes with back rests (also little kids feel more secure). Teens looking for more action always prefer the flat pancake type. O'Brien Screamer, Super Screamer etc depending on diameter. There are many other brands as well but those represent the basic design. No hole in the middle, and the thinner profile makes it a bit easier to reboard after falling off.

If you want something steerable, a kneeboard or of course waterskis or wakeboard give the rider control.

nhmaina

Seaman

I have never seen/used a towable that can be "somewhat steered" that anyone really enjoys riding. If they claim to be steerable, they have some type of channels or shallow tracking guides on the bottom and then don't slide and whip like other towables.

Older folks or those looking for a safe, back and neck-comfy ride prefer sit-down tubes with back rests (also little kids feel more secure). Teens looking for more action always prefer the flat pancake type. O'Brien Screamer, Super Screamer etc depending on diameter. There are many other brands as well but those represent the basic design. No hole in the middle, and the thinner profile makes it a bit easier to reboard after falling off.

If you want something steerable, a kneeboard or of course waterskis or wakeboard give the rider control.

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have used different wording than to say "somewhat steerable". I know they like leaning in one direction and having the tube react. No flips or fancy stunts though. We looked at the O'Brian Screamer, but were concerned because a few comments in this forum indicated the O'Brian would sometimes submerge more than other brands. Have you had any problems with submerging?

skibrain

No. Just keep it well-inflated.
If you are low on air and slow down with riders on hands and knees too far forward it will take some water over the front as you come off plane, but I just tell riders to pay attention. We've typically pulled off of the transom eyes on my 16' boat and done just fine.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 16' Four Winns bow rider with a 60hp OB. We tow with a standard bridal attached to the stern eyes.

We are having a great time with our newly purchased Seyvlor "twin throttle" purchased from Walmart for less than $100. It is a round tube with an inflatable floor, handy for "ride IN mode" It also has an inflatable donut hole insert and zip in neoprene cover that converts it to "ride ON mode."

No submarining yet, but I tell the kids to distribute their weight appropriately.

Jh

nhmaina

Seaman

We have a 16' Four Winns bow rider with a 60hp OB. We tow with a standard bridal attached to the stern eyes.

We are having a great time with our newly purchased Seyvlor "twin throttle" purchased from Walmart for less than $100. It is a round tube with an inflatable floor, handy for "ride IN mode" It also has an inflatable donut hole insert and zip in neoprene cover that converts it to "ride ON mode."

No submarining yet, but I tell the kids to distribute their weight appropriately.

Jh

That's interesting, we purchased a seyvlor missle from walmart yesterday but before opening it we looked at the review and they said it wasn't good, so we were going to return it without opening it. It had a good price and looked good. I guess I should ask here if anyone has used the seyvlor missle and how it works for them.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at another Seyvlor with the shark glide skin and passed. Our tube is like others in that it is a heavy duty tube wrapped in a nylon(?) skin. I have no experience with the shark glide but wanted something more common to the others.

I should also mention that we have had it one week so far - out twice daily. My kids are 9 & 12 so might be gentler on it than older kids.

For us though it is a winner.

Jh

skibrain

Yes I see lots of good reviews on these but I don't think you can lie down on them (at least belly down) unless your back has a hinge in it. That was one of your stated requirements of the kids.

nhmaina

Seaman

OK you caught me. That was an original request, but after reading what others have said, I think I convinced my kids that as they get older they will want to sit or kneel more.

skibrain

My kids ages 18-24 like to lay down on their belly. Well maybe my 24 year old daughter now prefers sitting. My 23-26 year old nephews prefer to lay down. or throw each other off. I am older and have transitioned to not riding on towables at all. :)

nhmaina

Seaman

Well I got the Big Mable, the newer version with the sides. I was getting very confused about which one was actually out there. Bass Pro Shops shows the older model but the part number is for the newer model. The older model has more hold points and the kids wanted it instead. But it's not listed on the sportsstuff web site.

John_S

Rear Admiral

We use a Sportsstuff Bonzai, which is the same as the current 2-person Rampage. You can lay down. I can make it exciting for teens, and mine still like it in their 20's. The "pipe" style will not catch like at flat tube in the corner spins.

You should like that Big Mable. Sportsstuff makes a decent tube. Don't under estimate the amount of pull that these tubes can put on your transom. Especially in a turn. Make sure you are using a 2 person or higher tow rope. Might want to limit it to 1 person until you get a good feel on how it handles with your smaller/lighter boat.

Tayter

Cadet

i have a 14' 1968 Starcraft superstar its a little rowboat its real light and i was planning on putting a 15hp outboard on the back do you think i would even be able to pull maybe a single person tube at a decent speed? the boat is very light by the way its maybe 170lbs so that should contribute to the motor pushing the boat faster:D

nhmaina

Seaman

I just saw a 14' aluminum boat pulling a smaller tube around this past weekend. I think it was around 10-15hp. They looked like they were having fun. It's all what you expect out of it. Neither the boat nor the tube was actually planing. I would say they were going around 15MPH, maybe as slow as 10MPH. The boy on the tube looked to be about 14 years old and skinny. It's the rider that really makes a different. We got big mable out with the 50HP and it was somewhat disappointing. I think with more horsepower and a higher tow point (like a tow tower) it would have worked out great. However, it had a lot of drag and kept getting bogged down. It never planed, even with a smaller 100lb kid on it. I never tried 2 kids on it because even with one, my boat was underpowered. My brother has a 130HP I/O motor that should work better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.