First time trying the kneeboard

a70eliminator

Captain
Both of my daughters who are now teenagers learned with this board and they make it look easy, I remember when they first learned, I kept ansisting that they try it just one more time and they finally got the hang of it.
Well, now with the shoe is on other foot, my daughter can operate the boat now, and she talked me into it, c'mon dad you can do it, try one more time She says.
This board absolutely beat the living crap out me, I finally got up after about the 5th time, each time She pulled me the board would plane out with my leggs dragging off the back, then it would get to bouncing bam baamm baaammmm it bucked me off sky high, I told her to go slower next time and it still bounced and bounced but I fanally got to my knees and fishtaled back and forth wildly about ten times then I dumped.
So I finally had enough and gave up. Melanie says here Dad watch me I'll show ya. So she gets into position gives me the signal and I take off, She gets up and immediatly gives me the thumbs down, We stop and I see her messing with the strap, I pull up and she says now wonder you couldn't do it the strap was cinched up all the way, so is that why I couldn't get my knees up into the recesses, She said yea you dummy now try it, so maybe next time I'll be able to do it but now 50yr old bones are too sore.
Oh yea it's a Casad kneeboard from the early 90's.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First time trying the kneeboard

Start slow. On my "OK", my wife drags me 8 or 10 mph, which makes the water just hard enough to get my knees up and the strap over. Then I give her another signal after I've grabbed the rope and she goes up to my preferred speed. I'm 300lbs, and most smaller people could probably go a tad slower. I never porpoise on the board doing it that way, but if my wife goes to fast, it will.

Another example, when I drag my oversized 10 year old son, we're going about 5mph when he hits the top of the board. Once he grabs the rope I go up to about 15 - 17mph for him.

I found that when I wasn't in as good a shape it was much harder to climb up the board. My upper body strength is vastly improved due to all the wakeboard I've been doing the last two summers. I also did a push ups program last winter that helped a lot too. (That was just something to do for a quick workout, I didn't do it because of water sports).

skibrain

Good job for trying something new!

When kneeboarders are first learning, we remove the strap. It is much easier to scoot from laying to kneeling without it, and get your knees up to the front of the pad. Or if removing it is a hassle, we just adjust it short and have riders kneel on top of it.

Until you are actually jumping the wake, you will have plenty of traction on the board to be able to turn and maneuver without being strapped in.

Wipeouts are also easier without being strapped in.

a70eliminator

Captain

thanks, I was reading up on beginers tips and it mentioned poroising as a result of being too far back, my knees were about 6" from getting into the pockets, I knew at that point the strap was too small but didn't put two and two together, should have just left it under like you say. I'm still just a little sore but may try again tonight.

SeanT

I've never taught anyone without the strap, however, we strap them in on the beach, dock, or swim platform and size the strap for their attempts first. Then they just slide into it. Once they get better they can adjust themselves when on the board.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First time I kneeboarded, I left the strap super long so i could push it forward and out of the way, once up, I put it over and tightened. The strap seemed to be the last thing and easiest thing to worry about.
Kneeboarding was also probably the easiest thing I have done as far as first try's are concerned.

a70eliminator

Captain

Sean,Shane,Skibrain, you guys that have all kneeboarded, what should I look for in a new board? I've been looking for the ones with nice thick comfortable knee pockets with thick foam, are those much of a concern? I''m going to go out and snap a picture of this one I have now so you all can see what beat me up.

thaphillips

Cadet

I normally teach people on a board that has a hook.

If you go to Academy sports they have 30% off kneeboards right now. The O'Brien Radica is a good board for beginers. It has a hook you can put the handle on while getting up.

Start with the board pointed up and the back off the board balanced against your waist. As the boat pulls you forwards use your elbows to pull you up on the board. Most people try to pull up with their arms and this only wears you out. When pulling up with your elbows try and get your knees on the back of the board. Once you are on get your knees in the grooves and put the strap on.

They grab the handle and learn back and bingo your kneeboarding.

skibrain

SeanT

I have a cheap hydroslide board with the hook as well. Makes dragging starts very easy, so look for that.

a70eliminator

Captain

Here She is, decided I don't think I kneed a new one just yet.

Attachments

• boating WB 006.jpg
    boating WB 006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boating WB 007.jpg
    boating WB 007.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

First time I kneeboarded, I left the strap super long so i could push it forward and out of the way, once up, I put it over and tightened. The strap seemed to be the last thing and easiest thing to worry about.
Kneeboarding was also probably the easiest thing I have done as far as first try's are concerned.

That's exactly how this 190 pounder does it. Having a ball!:D

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stay away from all the cheap roto mold boards. Especially the radica that thing is like a toy.

If you plan on doing anything on a kneeboard besides getting dragged behind the boat get a compression molded board.

And if you really want a kneeboard with the hook the obrien richochet is a pretty good compression board. Theres actually some kids competing on them.