Standing up on a kneeboard

a70eliminator

Captain
My 14 yr old daughter is a daredevil, she went from kneeling position to standing up on a kneeboard! she promptly wiped-out.
The knee pads are getting worn out on this 20yr old kneeboard, maybe I should trim them into feet pads lol. Can't afford to go out buy a wakeboard this year.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Standing up on a kneeboard

You can always find skis/wkaeboards/wake skates on ebay/craigslist for cheap.

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've stood on one before....very hard to do. If you put both feet side by side, it wants to porpoise, if you put your feet front and back, it wiggles side to side.
The best way to stand on one is to have a kid do it while someone else is riding it normal. We did this once and went all the way round the lake: me on the board on my knees, my buddies kid standing. He started standing on the back, and then when he got "brave", he walked all around the thing. If you try this, be warned...how we managed to not break the rope is beyond me. It was all I could do to hold on, and it required the same grip strength as doing a 5 minute pull up.
Tim

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I watched two kids yesterday taking turns standing on their knee board behind their grandpa's outboard bowrider. They started out like a wakesurfer, one hand on the rope and one on the board. Then, once the board "bit" into the water, they'd grab the rope with both hands and haul themselves up on it. Very slick, and they were having tons of fun doing it. I got the impression watching them that they didn't think wakeboards were challenging enough, or didn't want to drop the dough (they are quite expensive if you think about it, even on clearance).

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its not terribly hard to do i have done it a couple times and rode around for a bit. I start on my knees unstrap, then i go to drop knee and stand up and lean back very quickly.

I have done this on 2 occasions where i broke my strap andd wasnt ready to go in yet.

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me and my buddy after gettign board with the kneeboard used to do this all the time.

The hardest part is getting up to a standing position.

We would start off normal, get going, then take one hand off handle and place it on the side of the board from the leg we are going to lift, key at speed is to keep the same amount of pressure on the board. Push down with the hand as you pull up the leg, switch and do the other side, then stand up and have fun.

The wipe outs while getting the hang of this was the best part to watch,