Water Ski Sizes

ckirk

Cadet
I am new to water skiing-knee boarding-tubing have owned a bass boat for a long time and last year moving into a 19' Bayliner that the whole family could go out on and that could tow a skier. I want to purchase a first set of combination skis but want a set that can be used by the widest range of skiers possible. Any advice on which size to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Water Ski Sizes

Almost every pair of combo skis will be 67" in length. That will allow people of pretty much any size range to get up on them. I know I've had a 260lbs guy up on mine before. For younger kids (like 7 and under), a smaller pair of skis is better because they are easier to control in the water. For slolam skiing (if that sounds fun to you), you can probably get up on the 67" combo ski by itself if you're under 200lbs, but it may be difficult depending on the power in your boat. You can always get up on two skis and drop one off once you're up if you can't do the single-ski deep water start.

BoomerSooner

Seaman Apprentice

Go for a nice pair of shaped skis. They are usually a little shorter, therefore easier for newbies to control in the water. I have a pair of O'brien Amigos that I love. They are fun for advanced skiers too.

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just started boating last summer and first thing we found out was how different some bindings are.

Some prefer slip on bindings while others prefer the boot style. It's all about personal preference :D