Kneeboard color restor -- Vaseline!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I found a good deal on an Obrien kneeboard, but it was totally sunfaded, washed out, and raggedy looking, with a few chips. I almost waked away from the deal, but I have never ridden a compression molded kneeboard, or any except a hydroslide pro for that matter, so curiosity got the best of me. Regarding how it performs -- this thing FLYS!

The one picture shows the condition it was in when I bought it.

Today I tried a couple of things. Cleaning it did nothing. Getting it wet helped, as long as it stayed wet, then sunfaded pink again.

The kneeboard comparison picture shows the rear of the kneeboard with 303 Aerospace protectant left to soak in on the right side, and given all the recent threads about Vaseline, Vaseline on the left side.

Yes, the Vaseline got the best results. The final picture is was taken after letting the Vaseline soak in, wiping it dry, and about an hour later.

I am thinking that I might do it again after a couple of outings, and then wax or 303 it to try to minimize the fade.

Attachments

• kneeboard_before.jpg
    kneeboard_before.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kneeboard_comparison.jpg
    kneeboard_comparison.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • kneeboard_after.jpg
    kneeboard_after.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kneeboard color restor -- Vaseline!

I haven't heard of that one. I'd keep it off of the bottom.

On slalom skis, when a ski is new manufacturers recommend using mild non-abrasive cleanser on the bottom to make sure any mold release is cleaned off for proper waterflow along the ski surface.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What would vaseline on the bottom do?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did vaseline the bottom. The top looked so much healthier afterwords, that I decided to do the bottom, not for looks, but thinking it might condition the fiberglass and help longevity.

I would think the concern would be that the vaseline might affect the surface and how it reacts to water -- which it might.

I will say, though, today you could not pick up the kneeboard and tell I put anything on it, it has not greasy feeling at all.

It also, one day later, still looks great!

I remember in the last few days that I did tournament skiing, some guys rubbing the bottom of their jump skis with Armour All. I don't know if anything like that is still in vogue, but they did it for purposes of helping the ski move over the ramp, but never seemed to worry about the skis performance on the water.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Update: Although it looked great and was totally dry to the touch, when I put it back in the water it got slippery, and greasy feeling. The next outing it was still slippery. Its no longer slippery, and all the color improvement is long gone.

Oh well, it rides great whether it looks like a turd or not.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My boat hull is still looking good since June with the vaseline treatment.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think we are approaching the point in evolution that Vaseline will replace Duct Tape as the go to solution for every boater:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think we are approaching the point in evolution that Vaseline will replace Duct Tape as the go to solution for every boater:D

Surely nothing can replace the qualities of duct tape !!!!