Water spray is hurting my leg. On new slalom ski

snowflake1

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a new Obrien seige($400can.) slalom ski 68' length.

It skis real solid and turns on a dime, the problem is when i'm skiing, the spray from the ski is streamlined right to the outside of my back leg about half way up. between ankle and knee.

Seems to only happen when i turn left or right, can't remember. Did not hurt at first but after my 3rd and 4th outing it's becoming an issue.

Any idea's, is this normal, it's really beginning to hurt.

Booner76

Cadet
Re: Water spray is hurting my leg. On new slalom ski

Hi there

There is a rubber guard(sleeve) that you can purchase at any sports store that will slip over you leg where the spray hits your leg.I don't have that problem myself ,but a ski buddy of mine does. He wears one and says it works great.Comes in diffrent colors too.

"Keep the curvy side down":)

Cheers

snowflake1

Seaman Apprentice

Great,
i thought it was the ski and i'd have to mess around with finding another model that did not do this.

Rubber guard is #1 on my buy list before before i head back out on the water.

Thanks

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very common. After I'm out of the long wetsuit each spring, my left calf (back leg) is pretty tender from spray for a couple weeks. Then it seems to toughen up and is not a factor for the rest of the season.

A couple ski buddies use the spray legging all season.

craigkal

Cadet

Wow, I have the same problem. Hurts my calf on my right leg when i'm out to the right side of the boat. Good to know about the rubber sleeve, going to have to pick one up.

Utahboatnut

It is supposed to hurt, that means you are doing it right and getting your turns deeper. Call me a freak but I love it when my legs are bruised along the outside it is a reminder of how much I truly love to ski. They will toughen up if you go more and you wont even notice it. Those leg guards were popular in the eighties but I havent seen anyone ski with one for quite some time. On my boat the wife is the only one that would be allowed to use something like that, which she doesn't and she is a darn good skier. All kidding aside if you can find one at the proshop, I'm sure they work as advertised.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put on a pair of knee socks. you will look like a dork, but you leg won't hurt.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put more wieght on your front foot. That is a symptom of improper weight distribution, and should not be happening, especially on a highend ski like the Siege.

capecodcarol

Recruit

go to www.barts.com for your leg spray neoprene piece. It really works and that's a nice catalog with all your boating needs at good prices.
My left leg is bruised now since I didn't wear mine 2 days ago while skiing.

1Goof

Cadet

Electricjohn is wrong. I've slalomed for years and make sharp turns on a top of the line HO ski. I step forward on the ski going into the turns (i.e weight on the nose), and then I coum out of the turn with fairly even weight distribution. Without the spray leg my rear calf would lobster red and there would probably be no hair left on it - it is a water burn. If you are not turning hard you won't get this problem. It only happens when your rear leg is on the inside of the turn radius. Turning on the other side doesn't cause it. If you don't buy the spray leg and just try to tough it out, it is true that your leg will toughen up and by the end of the season you'll probably not even notice it. But, why suffer needlessly? The spray leg is like $12 or something.

ky gravy

Cadet

Back in the day, I used to love the fact that I beat all the hair off a section of my trailing leg. If you ski a lot, it will stop hurting.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

After a rough day of waterskiing, just slip on some sandals. No need to remove those fashionable leg guards! ;)

41BO0I7ZXZL._AA280_.jpg

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe he's bowlegged!!!

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

Is that why you never see Cowboys water skiing?

Al Bee

Cadet

Shuuuuttttt uppppp..... I'm from the farm! lol J?K :)

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this is an older post but I had a thought on this that was never addressed. When I cut hard and dig deep, the water doesn't spray my leg. It's only when I get wussy or tired and kind of half arse the turn that I get the spray. I've been skiing for many years and I will admit that my form is undoubtedly flawed but when I lean back and aggresively enter/exit the turn, the spray doesn't touch me.

Which is more correct?

skibrain

Technique, ski design?.... I know it is worse for skiers that have a more bow-legged stance - that part of the leg just sticking out there further. Everyone I ski with gets the burn on their rear leg. They either work through it early season or go with the neoprene protective sleeve every time they ski.

Bullcamp

Recruit

Tuck that back knee right in behind the front knee. Problem solved. Being an old Wyo cowboy had to learn that the hard way.

gismo

Recruit

I've always had problems with spray burns on my rear calf, even after skiing several times to toughen up the skin. After a few weeks I'd end up with a gash in my calf that looked like it was carved with a rasp. This problem was exacerbated when switching from a drysuit to bare legs in the spring. I have very dry, brittle skin (getting old sucks) and that seems to make the problem worse.

I tried neoprene spray legs and never liked the feel nor the fact that if they were tight enough to stay up they cut off some circulation to my foot and loose enough to be comfortable the lower end would often catch on the water in a turn. I eventually found that even the thinnest sock covering my rear calf eliminated the burn without feeling too tight. My favorite is nylon "over the calf" men's hose. When I was using rubber bindings I'd cut the toe out so the sock didn't have to go into the boot but with hard shell boots the full sock actually makes it easier to get in and out of them. I do catch some grief from fellow skiers but the pain free skiing is worth it.