Obrien foam kneeboard? Any experience with one?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I stopped by Academy Sports to get some had warmers for the March Brew and Stroll -- which this year should be called the Brew and Snow -- and they had the skis and water sports stuff out! Yeah!

Anyway, I was checking out all the hydroslides when the Obrien Surge and Airborne caught my eye. They are made out of a foam more like a boogie board, with a hard plastic bottom.

I love the idea of a non-denting foam in the boat. Also, they are about 1/4th the weight of the traditional knee board.

I got home and google them and found someone who says he broke a surge the first day. That would not be cool.

Thus, I am asking the iboats crowd if any of you all have any experience with these. I would love the airborne to work out and would gladly park my old hydroslide -- unless the thing would not make it through a season.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Obrien foam kneeboard? Any experience with one?

I looked at them pretty closely at a local marine shop after some time looking in amazement a sales person asked if I had any questions and I replied the same thing "would this even make it through a day of hard riding?" The guy told me they were more geared toward lite riders or kids trying to learn how to knee board. They were kind of pricey for what you are getting. Just seemed way to flimsy to me, but might work out well for kids I guess. I wouldn't ride one not worth the risk of the front snapping off and sending me into a wicked faceplant.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Obrien foam kneeboard? Any experience with one?

I actually had that board. It broke on the 2nd time out. It's just too weak. I got a Hydroslide board with the retractable fins and I LOVE it!