how to get up on a kneeboard?

snlgraham

Seaman Apprentice
I know this is not skiing but there is no kneeboard forum here.
I picked up a kneeboard at a garage sale. Its an old HO fiberglass job. The last time I kneeboarded, maybe twenty years ago, I did a deepwater start. I laid on the board till it got speed and then pulled myself up and strapped in all while holding the handle. Tried the same thing today and it did not work. Is there a better way that is not beach or dock start?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: how to get up on a kneeboard?

I haven't done it in almost as many years, but still carry the old Bullfrog in the boat. It is foam filled plastic/pvc though. The only method I've ever done, is the one you described. Sliding the knees forward was always somewhat trecherous. Seems like you always hit some good waves before you get strapped in.

tommays

Admiral

At a farty old 51

I still just hold the rope and the front of the board at the same time while laying flat

The boat driver has to understand NOT to go really fast at this point :eek:

And than it is just one smooth pop into place with the knee strap adjusted a bit lose

Now i only have full use of one arm so i am sure wih a littel pratice you will be fine :D

Tommays

rndn

Commander

Lay flat on the board with legs straight out the back. Holding the rope with both hands then pull yourself up onto both elbows. Gradually work your way up by pulling your self up onto your knees. Once up then feel free to place the strap around your thighs. You only need to be pulled around 15-20mph so make sure you're not being pulled too fast.

jmenning

Recruit

I've found the best and easiest way for anyone to learn to get up on a kneeboard is to have a Aquatic Hook. You can purchase one at www.aquatichook.com It's great for kids as well, because they can just sit and ride and not have to worry about grabbing the rope or if they get tired can simply lay the rope down. Also... if you haven't checked out the new towerless wakeboard and kneeboard combo racks at www.l-c-w.com (Liquid Courage Watersports) I also recommend checking those out since all that gear takes up so much room.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I quit looking for that cheap used board and just bought a new Hydroslide "Revolution", a pretty basic beginners/recreational board.

I had company visiting which meant I had a boat driver (my spouse is a bit timid in operating our boat and certainly does not want to pull me) so I did not want to order it and wait from this site. I went to Boater's World and they had one left at $114.00, I commented that it was $99 on Boatersworld.com and the dude let me have it for that.

I had not been on a board since about '94-'95 and then I did deep water starts. This new board has the "hydro hook" on the nose- that thing really helped! My 240 lb visiting friend who had NEVER kneeboarded got right up on it too! I was a bit timid to try doing 360's like I used to in the old days though!

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your board doesn't have an aqua hook then the way you described is about the best way to go about it. The key is to do it asap dont wait until the board has planed out its a much harder transition at that point. So as soon as the boat starts to pull (handle in one hand other hand on tip of board) bring your knees up to your chest and pull the tip under you as one quick motion. Then once you are settled you can worry about the strap and other small adjustments. My six year old has been doing it for about two seasons now and he doesn't even strap in and I can pull him all over the lake. Just remember to lean back if in doubt (big wake, crossing your own wakes etc.) face plants hurt as we get older..... Good luck

Trevor9751

Cadet

you dont even have to be going 15 mph I ussually pull people about 12 makes tricks easier just get the boat up and planed and then slow back down you should be able to tell out there on the board and just wait till he is slowed back down to just enough to keep you afloat then climb up at this speed your wakes will be bigger for funner riding and also the boat will cut the incoming waves harder making them smaller and you can get up without one of them wiping you out.

hunter111

Cadet

I found that the driver of the boat does all the work. Keeping an eye on the knee boarder adjusting the speed of the boat accordingly. If boarder starts to sink increase speed etc.. I try not to plane the boat until the knee boarder is almost completely up. If the board starts to bounce in the water, the person is not far enough forward. Slow the boat down a little and signal him/her to move forward.

Take Care

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a frequent "driver" of people knee boarding - I've found there are two techniques:

1) Keep the boat slow enough to prevent the knee board from coming up on plain. This stabilizes the board. It's still fast enough to support the full weight of the individual on the board, but the board doesn't slide around and the arms strength required is fairly static. I do this typically with non-women kneeboarders that are new to trying it...

2) The typical "pop-up" - give them a constant acceleration pull until the knee board is on plain. Works for people who know how to knee board, but the board is a lot less stable. IT requires a lot less arm strength, but the board will move around quite a bit.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I', just about 40 and 190 lbs -- what works best for me is what always worked best -- right when the boat starts going I pop up onto my knees. I don't wait for it to plane and bounce.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey ... Thanks for the hook advice. I had been planning on getting a new knee board with one for the kids, now I just got the hook to add instead. You saved me a couple of tanks worth of gas! That is, if prices don't sky rocked for the so called "summer driving season".

John_S

Rear Admiral

I am considering upgrading our old Bullfrog kneeboard. The Bullfrog has a flat foam leg area. On many of the new boards that have the foam molded to form around your leg, do they make it much harder to slide your knees forward? I like the idea from a control and ankle support (confort) pont of view.

PS: I like the hook idea too. It would have saved me a few faceplants when I was first learning.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

The knee beds on the newer boards are VERY nice especially once up and going. Control,comfort,ride length are all much much better. I have even found them a bit easier to get up on as you can use the raised section (right in front of where your knees go) to grab on to to help slide the board under you as your getting up. I still go for a good rip on the old hyrdoslide pro but the comfort is just not there, nor is the control when cutting hard those knee wells help you use your legs to steer and cut on the edge a lot better. Plus the straps are much wider and have some actual padding on them much better than the tie down strap on the older ones. All the mfgs. make a good mid priced board that would serve your needs well and most do come with the aqua hook now.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got my aquatic hook already. Easy to do business with them. Unfortunately it's just got me itching for summer even more -- and its 21 degrees outside right now! This first winter since I became a boater is killing me.