pulling tube/skier w/ bass boat

j_martin

Admiral
Re: pulling tube/skier w/ bass boat

Are those ski pylons alright to use with a tube? I've have read where you should not use those with towables.

I've got one of those ski pylons for my 88 tracker bass boat. It works great for skis and tubes. Forgot it once and tried to tow from the tie downs. It wasn't near as easy as the pylon. Boat pulls deep on the launch, taking the rope into the water with it, making it more difficult for the skiier. With the pylon I have to run negative trim to keep it from hopping with the extra bow lift at slow speeds. That's because it's a compromise. The boat is set up for WOT with the bathtubs full, 200 lbs of tackle, and 2 fat fishermen.

My engine's an XR4, so skiing is about half throttle or less.

My pylon is also labeled not for tubes. I think it is because a fat fart on a big tube, stuffing it at bass boat speeds would probably tear the pylon and the back deck off the boat. Skiiers let go when they face plant. The "rule", I think, is compensation for lack of common sense.

hope it helps
John

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pulling tube/skier w/ bass boat

The transom hooks will work with the swivel but they do sit low in the water especially on a bass boat. Sometimes it will pull the tube under when you start off. To help this you need to drop the hammer until the tube is planing on top of the water then back down to where your tubers tell you to. The person behind the boat is always in control. As stated above have a series of hand signals worked out before you start anything. The only affect something might have is someone who is a real good slalom skier would be abel to drag the back around a bit when in a good hard turn. I can drag my 20' cuddy around a bit on a good day with good water. It isn't dangerous but it is weird to have a skier putting that much resistance on the boat that you feel it start to lose power and pull to the side at the stern. A good pylon is a great thing to have especially if you are thinking about getting into wakeboarding. They do make one(sold right here on I-boats) that is for a bass boat. Make sure it is mounted real well with backing plates under the floor if possible and you should be fine to do any watersports you want with it. Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of watersports be careful because they are all very addicting......