Intermediate level skiier looking for recommendations

byson2

Seaman
I'm interested in purchasing a new/used slalom ski. I bought a used Obrien G2 Weapon (not sure how old it is) ski last year and have been using it pretty regularly this summer. It's works good and I don't have any problem with deep water starts but I'm wondering if something newer might be more enjoyable. I'm 5'10", 160 and probably ski around 30-32 MPH. All of my skiing is recreational but I do like to push myself while cutting and turning. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

byson2

Seaman
O'Brien G2 is from about 1992.

Yes I found an old online review dated 1994. I really like the ski but it sure seems to take extra effort to get up. From some research I've done it looks like a Radar Senate or older Theory might be a good choice.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't know that the G2 was ever a great high end slalom ski - even if Andy Maple skied well on it. Lots of ski improvements in 25 yrs and in general most skis are more forgiving. easier to ride, less likely to dump you if you are not technically correct.

It is hard to find much for reviews on mid-level skis. Especially non-current models. This link has models at a few levels. https://www.waterskimag.com/features/2008/05/01/find-the-right-ski#page-2

I haven't ski any of these but the Radar Theory which is pretty wide and I don't know that I would call a "performance" ski. In terms of something newer the Connelly V is highly liked. If you have a pro shop near, you might call and ask their advice, demo a couple. Otherwise buying used to try some, reselling what doesn't work.

byson2

Seaman
Thanks. From what I've read it looks the Connelly V or Radar Senate would be a good fit.