When To Replace Tow Rope?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 18' OB so I use a rope bridle to connect my tow rope. These are used only for tubing (4-person tube). I've had these ropes 5 years, use them probably 10 days per year and take good care of them. Neither are fraying.

My question is, should they be replaced soon? Other than fraying (especially at the hooks) what should I keep an eye out for?

alldodge

Staff member
There taken care of and show little signs of wear, so I would continue to use them. They are poly ropes so they float and they also do not have much kinetic energy in them when they break. So your tubing out in the middle and plenty clear of other boats and obstacles. So if the rope breaks they skid a bit and stop. No harm done

oldjeep

Admiral
There taken care of and show little signs of wear, so I would continue to use them. They are poly ropes so they float and they also do not have much kinetic energy in them when they break. So your tubing out in the middle and plenty clear of other boats and obstacles. So if the rope breaks they skid a bit and stop. No harm done

You sure about that? Having seen one snap, recoil into the boat and into the back of the drivers head I would disagree about the recoil.

And FWIW - there is a tuber forum - this is the waterski forum
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...activities/towables-and-stand-up-paddleboards

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
You sure about that? Having seen one snap, recoil into the boat and into the back of the drivers head I would disagree about the recoil.

Yes, I'm sure about that with poly propylene rope. It does snap, but has little energy and the boat going forward as it snaps slows it down even more. This is not the same thing for any other kind of rope such as nylon. Nylon can kill you

oldjeep

Admiral
Yes, I'm sure about that with poly propylene rope. It does snap, but has little energy and the boat going forward as it snaps slows it down even more. This is not the same thing for any other kind of rope such as nylon. Nylon can kill you

Nonsense - waterski ropes are poly propylene and they sure as hell snap back into the boat hard

alldodge

Staff member
ok what ever you say

So what is your answer to the OP's question?

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I busted a 4 year old tow rope (one of the tube specific ropes, about 3/4" diameter) last weekend. The tube subed and it broke. No recoil. I think it was an airheads rope.
I don't believe they are the same as an old school ski rope. I use only wake board adjustable ropes these days, I think they are the same as the tube ropes. I'm a big guy and when using a traditional ski rope and I fail to come out of the water the rope shoots over the top of the boat, pretty dangerous with a handle on it!