Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

When To Replace Tow Rope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When To Replace Tow Rope?

I have an 18' OB so I use a rope bridle to connect my tow rope. These are used only for tubing (4-person tube). I've had these ropes 5 years, use them probably 10 days per year and take good care of them. Neither are fraying.

My question is, should they be replaced soon? Other than fraying (especially at the hooks) what should I keep an eye out for?

There taken care of and show little signs of wear, so I would continue to use them. They are poly ropes so they float and they also do not have much kinetic energy in them when they break. So your tubing out in the middle and plenty clear of other boats and obstacles. So if the rope breaks they skid a bit and stop. No harm done
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
      There taken care of and show little signs of wear, so I would continue to use them. They are poly ropes so they float and they also do not have much kinetic energy in them when they break. So your tubing out in the middle and plenty clear of other boats and obstacles. So if the rope breaks they skid a bit and stop. No harm done
      You sure about that? Having seen one snap, recoil into the boat and into the back of the drivers head I would disagree about the recoil.

And FWIW - there is a tuber forum - this is the waterski forum
      http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...p-paddleboards
      Last edited by oldjeep; June 23rd, 2016, 05:12 PM.
      2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
      2009 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeep View Post

You sure about that? Having seen one snap, recoil into the boat and into the back of the drivers head I would disagree about the recoil.
        Yes, I'm sure about that with poly propylene rope. It does snap, but has little energy and the boat going forward as it snaps slows it down even more. This is not the same thing for any other kind of rope such as nylon. Nylon can kill you
        07 SeaDoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only

Comment

Yes, I'm sure about that with poly propylene rope. It does snap, but has little energy and the boat going forward as it snaps slows it down even more. This is not the same thing for any other kind of rope such as nylon. Nylon can kill you
          Nonsense - waterski ropes are poly propylene and they sure as hell snap back into the boat hard
          2009 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

ok what ever you say

So what is your answer to the OP's question?
            07 SeaDoo GTX
            Merc Adults Only

Comment

ok what ever you say

So what is your answer to the OP's question?

If the rope has any frays or is discolored from too much sun exposure then replace it - same as any ski rope.
              2009 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

I busted a 4 year old tow rope (one of the tube specific ropes, about 3/4" diameter) last weekend. The tube subed and it broke. No recoil. I think it was an airheads rope.
                I don't believe they are the same as an old school ski rope. I use only wake board adjustable ropes these days, I think they are the same as the tube ropes. I'm a big guy and when using a traditional ski rope and I fail to come out of the water the rope shoots over the top of the boat, pretty dangerous with a handle on it!

Comment

Working...
                X