what are you guys skiing behind?

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking to get back into water skiing after 10 years off. Looking at boats and there is a nice Ski Nautique I would love to look at, however Iam the only one that currently skis and we live in NJ and the bay isnt the nicest place to crusie with a lake boat...I was looking at I/O's...just wondering if I am going to be real upset with the wake those things kick up...I skied for 10 years behind a Toyota Epic..300 HP ski boat...was nice in that it was boyrider......thoughts?

oldjeep

Admiral
Skied primarily behind a 2005 bayliner 195 for 9 years, now I ski behind a 2012 Malibu VTX and a 2004 Malibu Response LXI (occasionally). The Response is the nicest to ski behind and the least versatile boat of the bunch - worst boat in chop. The Bayliner was underpowered but decent enough to ski behind. My VTX is decent to ski behind (15 off) and the most versatile boat of the bunch.

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks....Im the only one that skis soe its hard to get a boat dedicated to skiing, but I really want to salom

oldjeep

Admiral
Thanks....Im the only one that skis soe its hard to get a boat dedicated to skiing, but I really want to salom

Might be worth finding some skiers in your area and making a deal fuel for ski rides.

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
There is no need for a ski specific boat unless that's all you do. Mine has plenty of power for multiple skiers or tubers. Only thing missing is if you're serious into wakeboard stuff and want a boat that throws a big wake. And wakeboard towers can be mounted to many types of boats.

I ski behind this...

|
|
|
\ /
\ /

Last edited:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can slalom behind a lot of boats provided they have the power or can be re-propped to get the power you need. The problem comes in when you are wanting to make hard cuts from one side of the boat to the other. That's when the wake can beat you to death if its too big. Bowriders typically have pretty big wakes. Nothing too big that it would be an issue for just plain skiing. But, if you are going to ski hard, make big cuts, a bowrider isn't your answer. Ski specific boats are great and some come with open bows. That might be a compromise but you will still have the engine mounted right in the middle of the boat. Take your time to make your decision as I bought a bowrider, made lots of improvements then discovered that the wakes were too big to do what I needed to do. Good luck with your search!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am skiing behind a '97 Crownline 182 with a 5.7L. It is plenty stern heavy, especially as we get loaded down with passengers and gear. It has plenty of grunt to pull me out of the water on a slalom ski (5'11", 215lbs and 57 years young right now). Got up behind it Saturday with four adults in the boat, and me in the water. It took a few pulls to get my technique back, but was able to get it done.

I agree with the comments here tho... the bowrider puts up some wake, and when in mid season form, crossing the wake at high speed with lots of carve can be dicey, especially if the lake has any chop at all. The crownline has been a AWESOME first boat for us (first that I owned anyway). It does a lot of things very well, but it probably is not the BEST slalom boat, nor can I surf behind it, which is something I would like to do more of as I get older.

I have started looking around at some inboards, but nothing has taken me away yet, plus Im not sure I am ready to part with the Crownie YET.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"Ski boat" means different things to different people.

Enough power to deep water start the heaviest slalom skier, with eight adults in the boat?

Ski around the lake riding straight behind the boat?

Enough space, storage and a head so you can be on the water all day with ladies on board and accommodate small bladders?

You like to jump the wake so bigger is better?

You boat on a huge windy lake fighting with other boats throwing large waves, so a smooth riding deepest V-hull is priority?

Any boat is a compromise, so you just need to prioritize. I ski on a small lake, early a.m. with one or two friends. We don't need to haul people, the water is flat or we don't ski. I share a 12 yr old Malibu LXi. (Open bow, 340hp 5.7L) with an aftermarket exhaust that makes it one of the quietest boats on the lake so as not to annoy neighbors. And we ski 34 mph short line, sometimes in the slalom course. I'm spoiled, a bit of a snob even as I dislike a lot of other ski boats if there is too much spray or a funky wake dip at 35' off.

At the same time I pretty much love all things skiing and have skied behind about any kind of boat out there. I'm just an advocate of skiing with whatever you've got to work with.

That said, if you get to choose, I'd avoid I/Os of about any kind, in preference for an outboard powered rig. About 600 lbs less weight in the back of the boat means better hole shot, and smaller wakes once planing. Lower deadride (less V) in the hull helps too, so bass-boat based fish and skis ski pretty darn well. Otherwise I would choose a 18' bow rider with 150 outboard over same hull with a v6 or v8 I/O. Similar hole shot and always a better wake.

Assuming you like to slalom back and forth through the smallest wake possible, that gets my vote.

If you are skiing fast enough (my opinion, on the high side of 30 mph) so a direct drive's wake flattens out. If the weird interior layout works for you, and you can put up with rough ride on a windy day, a direct drive in SOME years and models can be a beautiful thing.

Crown895

Cadet
All of the above is excellent advice. I slalom occasionally behind a Crownline 180 BR. But the wake that boat throws is brutal. Luckily, I wakeboard too, and it's perfect for that. Like skibrain says above, if you are a slalom skier, I would stay away from I/O's, unless you consider installing some trim tabs, which help the boat get on plane easier and can also reshape your wake to a certain degree. However, if water sports are a priority, I'd skip the idea of any kind of I/O and O/B setups, and go straight for the inboards. Mastercraft's, Malibu's, Moomba's etc. Any one of those boats will cruise well, and yank the rope right out of your hand. I miss slalom skiing behind a small wake.
However, if you're dealing with large waves, an I/O may be the best option. If you do have to go that route, make sure you get the biggest engine/HP you can get in the boat. It will pay off when you're not dragging behind the boat underwater for 60 yards until the boat planes out.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Skibrain, I would so love to have a morning of skiing like that. I am still very much in a world of compromise, both with my boat, and with the lake I ski on. Dont get me wrong, I still grin ear to ear every time I get up on the slalom, and I will take what I can get. Having said that, my best days are with three people (I have to have a driver AND an observer here) that are dedicated enough to get out early. But most days skiing is taking the family out as early as I can get them moving (read that not very early, get to the lake by 8), take a couple pulls then duck into a cove to escape the rough water for the rest of the day.

Less than ideal, but I am SOOOOO glad to have bought this boat in late 2014. Ive managed to get a lot of skiing in, and our family LOVES the boat.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm an outboard fan as well. Our boat is a deep v so the wakes are a interesting on slalom and I was yelling at my boat last night (ha ha). I want to upgrade a V-drive someday but don't want a boat payment so I have to live with the wakes I have for now. I also like the idea of some of the Hurricane deckboats out there with a 150 outboard (seems to have a slallower V). We always have 5-7 people on the boat.

here is my boat:
IMG_2054-2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2054-2.jpg
    IMG_2054-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

Just because I have access to a direct drive ski boat now, my history ranges from probably the smallest wake ever behind a 13' Boston Whaler soon perfect for pulling kids, but it was too light by the time I got to be 16 yrs old:

410476177.jpg

To my first boat, a 15' Glastron with 90 hp. $2,500 It fit in my garage and could pull behind my minivan. Fast enough to barefoot behind, so all is good. The boat would look smaller except my sons were really young in that '98 photo:

398391412.jpg

A 16' CVX with a 120 hp. Deep V hull, but the boat WITH motor (1,100 lbs) was so light that it had a very small narrow wake.

360437677.jpg

360437678.jpg

Last edited:

skibrain

Decent shot of the wake behind my BIL's Glastron GX180 outboard. pretty darn small for a bowrider. And not bad hole shot pulling up 8 skiers (4 adult size, and 4 younger) but we were running a 150 outboard with 21" pitch prop. The boat will run nearly 60 mph GPS with a light load!

104603313.jpg

And the LXi

182071014.jpg

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
that is a really nice wake behind that GX180 ! - i would love that.

skibrain

milehighjc I worked hard to recruit the initial 2-3 friends that would get up and ski at 6:30 am. The rest of my ski network I've met at the lake - like minded folks who are already making the decision to be out early. Now people are calling ME to go skiing.

Yes there were years with my kids and their friends packed in a small boat on a busier lake, but I didn't bring my own skiing expectations to that.

It's all good!

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We use a 20ft Sea Ray Bowrider I/O 5.7 mercruiser. I really really wanted a direct drive ski boat but when it came down to it we just don't ski enough to justify it. Those things beat the heck out of you in chop. We ended up with the I/O for "all around" use. Most of the lakes we go to around here are very choppy with all the surf boats out there nowadays so a direct drive would have been miserable. I have been happy so far with the I/O. And it's easy to navigate around the docks as well! I have a wake tower on it for boarding and can slalom, pull tubes, etc. In fact we can do everything in this boat other boats can do except surf.

hockynut2

Cadet
I primarily ski behind my 89 i/o Four Winns Freedom 190 and the wake isn't to bad with a full rope. Once you start shortening the rope it gets a little rough. I do get lucky a few times a year when I get behind my uncles ski nautique! But if you have any chop it is a very rough ride for any passengers in the boat!

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want an I/O with a giant wake. When I go to cross the wake, I want to look UP and see waves breaking. That flat wake back and forth stuff behind an inboard bores me now.

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1996 blue water. Throws a huge wake at 18-24 for knee and wake boarding. Very nice ski wake at 29-35 for slalom.

Like others said though it's no good in rough water. Even crossing back into your own wake (small lake, sweet spot) can be a challenge to smooth out for skier.

With 6 in the boat and a skier, you have to keep some throttle In it crossing waves at very slow speeds. Much better with 4max. Has a hard time pulling up a slalom 200# or better with poor technique if you have a full house. I can immediately feel if they are gonna get up.

Lots of negatives compared to my old wellcraft with really deep V, but I can't afford a new one and the direct drive offers a lot less moving parts than a stern drive. And you can surf behind it!

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i skied behind my 1750 bayliner i/o sunday night for the first time. that was also the first time skiing in about 10 years or more.

i can say one thing, my 1750 has a much better wake for boarding than skiing. im looking for a tower now so that i can start wakeboarding again. the wake is quite large, esp with a few people in the boat and a full tank of gas.

steve