Slalom Ski Recommendations

marksa1458

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like to upgrade my Slalom Ski - Currently skiing on a Connelly Pilot. The Pilot has been a great ski, but having progressed a bit this summer I no longer feel the pilot handles as well as I would like. I checked out Ski -it-Again and there are so many choices it's difficult to know where to even begin.

I'm:

5' 11"
190 lbs
intermediate to intermediate advanced
ski at 31-32mph on current ski
mostly free/open water ski

There is really no place around me that let's you demo skis before you purchase. Any thoughts/guidance would be great!

oldjeep

Admiral
67" Radar Senate Alloy would be a good choice if you want something quick enough to run the course but will still work on open water. That is what I run on - 6ft/175lbs Some decent deals here:
http://www.wakehouse.com/slalom-wate...er_ski_size=67

For mainly open water skiing you might even want to jump up to a 69" since you are on the edge of the weight box for a 67

Last edited:

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am 5'11. and just over 200lbs right now. Im kind of an old fart (55), and had not been on a slalom ski since my early 20's until this season. I also ski around 31MPH. I struggled a lot to successfully deep water start, but finally got it done mid summer. I skied most of the summer on a 67' HO combo ski. It was ok, but I found myself wanting a more responsive ski pretty quickly (I would have characterized myself as an advanced intermediate skier in my day).

I found a 70" HO Mach 1 at a ski swap. Its kind of a "classic" design ski as I understand it... it has been popular enough that they have continued to produce it for some time. I bought new HO bindings for it (a boot design, which has made a HUGE difference vs the slip in combo ski). It took a few times to successfully get up on it, but once I succeeded it has been fantastic. It cuts HARD, but is still stable free skiing as well.

I have also heard very good things about the Radar skis... not only the Senate, but the P6. I would love to try one to compare to the HO.

There are pictures and some video in my "middle age" thread...

oldjeep

Admiral
I am 5'11. and just over 200lbs right now. Im kind of an old fart (55), and had not been on a slalom ski since my early 20's until this season. I also ski around 31MPH. I struggled a lot to successfully deep water start, but finally got it done mid summer. I skied most of the summer on a 67' HO combo ski. It was ok, but I found myself wanting a more responsive ski pretty quickly (I would have characterized myself as an advanced intermediate skier in my day).

I found a 70" HO Mach 1 at a ski swap. Its kind of a "classic" design ski as I understand it... it has been popular enough that they have continued to produce it for some time. I bought new HO bindings for it (a boot design, which has made a HUGE difference vs the slip in combo ski). It took a few times to successfully get up on it, but once I succeeded it has been fantastic. It cuts HARD, but is still stable free skiing as well.

I have also heard very good things about the Radar skis... not only the Senate, but the P6. I would love to try one to compare to the HO.

There are pictures and some video in my "middle age" thread...

I've got a P6 as well that my son uses. Nice open water ski at lower speeds, but if you are skiing 31-32 MPH you probably don't want one.

WP_20140404_004.jpg

Last edited: