Speed control, where to get smart tabs in BC Canada....

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, I got a 2015 Four Winns H180 RS w/4.3L carb. I love the boat but it seems to have a hard time keeping the speed steady at lower speeds. I am a beginner wakeboarder and am not sure if the boat needs help or it's just me lol. I want to buy smart tabs since I don't see any draw backs from them but I am having a hard time finding them in BC, Canada. Also I am 26 and 230lbs, what sort of speed should we be going while boarding? The boat has under 10 hrs on it so will it smooth out a bit after the break in? Also while I am riding it feels like the boat is surging but I am using a cheap rope so maybe it isn't the right one and it's just the stretch?

PS The only mod on the boat is a high 5 stainless prop, I can get the specs if needed, but I remember it's the same pitch as factory but just 1" smaller

thanks for all the help as usual you guys are the best!!

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Get yourself a PerfectPass or ZeroOff speed control. It will set you back a little over $1k but will same your relationships with the riders and drivers. There is no better way to keep a boat at speed when you are not fully planing.
That said, just go get it anyway because it is sssooooooo worth every penny and will add value if you sell your boat or you can put it on your next one.

To control speed at lower RPM is more difficult. That's one benefit of a lower pitch prop. The RPM is higher and the engine will be smoother. Getting a zero stretch rope will make a big difference in keeping the rider in control of his ride. Not so much the boat speed, but it helps that a little.

If you are learning wake boarding, go slow and start inside the wake. (13-15 mph) You will stay up longer, the falls hurt less, and you will learn edge control and balance. From there, you progress up to 17-20 mph. The speed is dependent on the length of the rope and where the wake is smoothest. You are still below planing speed. Trim the outdrive up a bit after you are at speed to make the wake a little better.

The low hours are not what is causing the surging. It's the load on the engine as the boat searches to get up on plane. Tabs may help.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I have no idea where in BC you could by tabs, but I had quick delivery from Iboats to Ontario. I'd expect the same to BC. - Grandad

mattisonjr

Cadet
The smart tabs may not be such a good idea if you want any kind of wake to ride on. I put them on my 18' Baja Islander to help with planing but it eliminated any wake I could get even using ballast bags. I took them back off the next day and went with a Stingray hydrofoil. I've been riding at 22 mph, 65 foot Ronix wakeboard line (no stretch), and adding about 700 lbs. ballast ( 40% front, 60% rear). After plane, bump up the trim to smooth out wake. I'm using a 4 blade 19 pitch prop that I had some of the cupping taken out to increase rpm's a bit to help with speed control ( 3300 rpm @ 22 mph). Hydrophase speed control looks pretty good to me, but, not in the budget this year.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Smart tabs will completely wash out your wake. However you can install them with their trolling hardware which will allow you to benefit from them during normal boating but adjust them up and out of the way when wakeboarding. I've done this on two different boats and it works great.