Beginer Wakebaord?

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
As a new boat owner I am very interested in getting into water sports. I have water skied and used knee boards before, but wakeboarding looks like a lot of fun.

I found a board on craigslist and am looking for recommendations.

Its listed as a Park Bonifay 138 which from a quick research shows its made by Hyperlite. The guy is selling the board and a wakeboard adjustable length rope and a few extras. How would this board do for a beginner? I am 5'10" and 195#.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you athletic it might be a fine board. It can turn very aggressively and has a lot of 'pop' for air tricks. Probably it will catch edges more when you are learning so you will get to practice instant faceplants. It's a good size

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like rallyart said it's a very good board,but its gonna be a bit tougher and take longer to learn on a board designed for intermediate to advanced riders. A beginner board is a lot more forgiving. I learned on a Ronix vault which is a beginner to intermediate board and I love it...it's forgiving yet still has enough "pop" to clear the wake and throw some tricks.It takes longer to learn wakeboarding than skiing but its a blast:) hope this helps

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went out for the first time today with the board. I wouldn't call myself very athletic, especially pushing 200lbs. It took me about 5 tries to get up, probably a major factor was the driver. Then the following 5 times I got up every time. It's gonna take a bit to learn my toe to heel transitions.

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
Did you get the Parks Bonfay 138? I have the Parks 133 & love it. Cutts quick & agressive. The first thing everyone says when they ride it is "dang! that thing is sensitive"

If you can learn on a board like that, you save money by not buying a new board in a couple seasons (when you get tired of a beginner board).

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sure did. Picked up the board, a bag, rope, and another vest for $100. I went out again Sunday. The biggest problem I am having is driver skill, waves from other boats and wind. I got up and ran fairly straight for about 2 minutes before another boat ran by. I'm going to have to shorten my rope by about 10 feet to be in a good part of the wake when I'm ready.

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
100$ for all that sounds like a good deal. I paid 100$ for my board, used, with only the board; No bindings, rope or anything & was pleased with that deal.

Getting into that sweet spot with your rope length helps. My hardest part learning was to stay loose with your knees bent while keeping an edge in the water. When I'd get into some chop I'd stiffen up wich lead me to slapping the water several times.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did try to concentrate on the knees but that pretty much sounds like exactly what I'm doing.

Mine came with bindings as well. One question about the bindings. Are they supposed to be incredibly difficult to get on and off? I have a size 10 foot which is pretty average. I'm not sure if bindings are one size fits most but they seem pretty hard to get into. Fine once I'm in though. Thanks for that input!

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
Are they lace up bindings or wrap style rubber? If they are wrap style you can use dish soap to lube up your foot . I used to do that on my first board/binding setup.(they also make lube just for bindings) I have since bought some lace up style & I like those better.

Note: you dont want them so tight they wont come off if you wipe out. Good way to break an ankle

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
They are the rubber with an elastic strap that goes up the front and around back. I'll definitely try the disposal idea. I thought the water would be enough lubrication but apparently not.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's really useful to learn inside the wake at slow speed. The driver can hold 12 to 15 mph relatively easily as the boat is not trying to plane yet. At that speed you can stay up and have lots of room between the wakes to get used to edging, sliding the board, and how your had position affects the board. Really, take the time to do that.
Do pendulums back and forth first, then gentle S turns. While sliding the board facing the boat, move your hand position to the left then the right. You'll start to feel what happens. Most of the time you need to keep the handle near your hip and lean back against the rope rather than trying to stay up or just leaning back. Once you are comfortable with that, try doing bunny hops at slow speeds. If you work at slow speed enough you will spend much more time upright and learn more.
Good luck.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. Sounds about like what I'm doing now. Of course my toe edge seems easier to master than my heel edge n