Need some driving tips for Skiing/Wakeboarding

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I have a question about adapting driving style for pulling a Skier/Wakeboarder if I get a new boat. Similar to the situation that Dark Shadows is in, I currently have a 2001 Glastron SX 175 with a 130HP I/O. We have been bitten by the skiing/Wakeboarding bug, but are certainly not anything past beginners. We can start on a single ski (within 3-4 tries) and usually only fall when trying to improve our cuts, or try a trick on a wakeboard.

As we pretty much try to maximize our skiing/wakeboarding time whenever we?re out, I?m in the process of looking in to upgrading to a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter VTX (20ft). Given that this is a purpose built crossover boat with a lot more power, how do I have to adjust my driving style?
For skiing I typically take up the line slack at idle, or even neutral, then hammer the throttle until about 22 mph, then back off and settle in to a speed between 28-30mph. For a boarder, we take up the slack the same way, then roll on the throttle gradually until we get to about 20-22 mph. Would it be the same in the Malibu?

Thanks,
Scb

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
In a word - yes. No major difference in towing when you get into a v-drive. However, things you will need to get used to:

- Way more pulling power. 6 people on board plus a boarder will be no problem.
- No steering in reverse. Takes practice but you you'll get used to it.
- Way better throttle control, especially if the Bu has perfect pass or zero off. Nice constant speed no matter what the boarder is doing.

I went from a 17ft Maxum with a 135 merc to a Super Air Nautique 210 and have never looked back.

D.

oldjeep

Admiral
For taking up the skier, you will no longer want to "hammer it" you'll pull the arms off of most folks. Take up the slack and then roll the throttle up to full - how fast will depend on your skier. I can take a full throttle hit from my VTX, but most folks will not like it.

Your 2008 should have Malibu Cruise control, learn how to use it before you start actually pulling people up with it. Make sure to understand that to disengage that you need to pull the throttle way back, a small adjustment and it'll just go back to the set point.

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And no power turns to recover a fallen rider. Just cut throttle, turn, and then head back.
The best thing to do when you get an inboard for the first time is to try to bring the boat up to a buoy from different directions. Try to get the front and the back to the buoy. When you get used to it you can parallel park in just over the length of your boat.
When loading onto the trailer don't try to reverse to straighten out. It will never work. If you miss where you are aiming then back right out and take another run at the trailer. The boat steers well when you have it in gear forward but not at other times.