Air Chair: Recommended Resources?

PBRman

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I got an Air Chair last month. We'd used an older model one a fair amount through a club but can finally go a lot more.

I am at the point that I can ride it and have it under control and actually jump it a few feet in the air intentionally (and land!). I was wondering if there are any recommended resources: videos/documents/schools etc. for learning how to start jumping higher and doing the fancier tricks?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sky Ski and AirChair have each put out some 'instructional' videos but I've never found any that were really good. The best one I ever saw was a friends VHS tape that I have not been able to find on DVD. I can't remember the name of it and the other videos I've got are seven hours away so I'm not able to really help much. Just don't expect too much from most of the videos.

Our AirChair is my wife's favorite water toy. She just floats along at 15 MPH and enjoys the ride without much risk of a painful crash. Me, I crash lots buy have great fun. My teenagers and I like 19-21 mph. They're much better that me. You can tow faster than that but you should build your skill at slower speeds to prevent injuries. One important factor to understand with a foil is that rope position will pull you around in tricks. If you hold the handle so that it helps you rotate you will flip or spin faster. When you jump wake to wake, for example, it's important to have the handle inline with your mass instead of in front of you. The handle towards the tip or the ski will pull the tip toward the boat and you'll land facing more toward the boat and not be able to complete heading out the other side of the wake. It's lie a wakeboard in that handle position and rope pull are critical to trick completion. That's why you only use wakeboard ropes riding with foils.

Good luck, it is a really fun sport. Just watch out for the blade of the foil. It can leave nasty marks on gelcoat.

Oh, and we keep a deep V handle on board for new riders to learn with. We all just use a regular wakeboard handle.

Last edited: