Installing trim tabs on wakeboard boat for shaping wake

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With all the manufactures starting to install trim tabs in their boats to help shape the boat wake for surfing, I'm wondering if anybody has done this on their wakeboard boat? Many of the boats out there have one in the center of the boat. What I'm talking about is the ones that go on the left and right sides of the back of the boat. I installed some Bennett hydraulic trim tabs on an I/O boat years ago and they worked great for leveling the boat out at speed. I'm just wondering if anybody has added trim tabs to their wakeboard boat (direct or v-drive only) in order to shape the wake at lower speeds for wake surfing, and what the results were.

Last edited:

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing trim tabs on wakeboard boat for shaping wake

Malibu boats: surf gate.
Look it up.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Malibu boats: surf gate.
Look it up.

I have seen them...and they only come on a newer boat. Also, nobody makes them for aftermarket (because they are vertical on the hull, not horizontal and even with the bottom of your hull).

I talking about adding trim tabs to the bottom of the a currently owned older model boat to help shape the surf wake. Mastercraft's new GEN 2 surf system is simply shaped trim tabs on the back of the boat. I'm just wondering if anybody has added them to their boat and what the result was.

kfa4303

Banned

Traditional trim tabs would probably have the opposite effect your looking for. They would raise the stern of the boat causing it to produce a smaller wake, if anything. Creating a wake is basically antithetical to all other forms of boating, so I would think trying to increase/shape one is going to be tricky and require some pretty specialized equipment.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MC's Gen 1 surf system basically used 2 symmetrical flat trim tabs mounted port and starboard. the point is to help list the boat toward the side of the surfer (normal or goofy). the Gen 2 tabs are asymmetrical in many cases and appear to be unique to each hull. they do more shaping with the folds in the tabs but they still list the boat. the wave theory for making a surf wave is pretty cool and its neat to see the different manufactures take on the physics. surf gate is different as it effectively elongates on side of the hull over the other. this lets the wake fold over itself and creates the "pocket" to surf in.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kfa4303 - I know what you're saying. Not trying to create any bow lift. Really just trying to lean the boat more one way or the other to create a bigger wake on one side and to shape it for better surfing.

Last edited:

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MC's Gen 1 surf system basically used 2 symmetrical flat trim tabs mounted port and starboard. the point is to help list the boat toward the side of the surfer (normal or goofy). the Gen 2 tabs are asymmetrical in many cases and appear to be unique to each hull. they do more shaping with the folds in the tabs but they still list the boat. the wave theory for making a surf wave is pretty cool and its neat to see the different manufactures take on the physics. surf gate is different as it effectively elongates on side of the hull over the other. this lets the wake fold over itself and creates the "pocket" to surf in.

The wake trip tabs and other wake shapers are pretty affordable - it's just the attached boats that are expensive! : )