Custom wakeboard tower

jimtur

Cadet
is that someone has already tried to build its propore wakeboard tower with welded aluminum tubes?

I'm a industrial designer since 15 year and I intend to drawn and built my own wakeboard tower.

Here the design (virtual) and the look on the boat (virtual).

I'm very happy about the final result, look is unique!!! Tower is very easy to "folder", I can do that with 2 fingers!!! Total price is 800$CAN, including rolled aluminium tube, laser cut plate, powder coated silver paint, fasteners and fiberglass reinforcement inside wall of boat. And 12 hours of labor and 25 hours of drawings (include 10 differents design). Let me knwo if somebody is interested to make one similar to thais one, I have all drawing and they are easy to modify for an other boat size.

custom wakeboard tower.jpgtower collapsed.jpgP1080401-s.jpgP1080405-s.jpgP1080415-s.jpg

a Newbie

update 2013-09-15 : aluminium tube picture added

update 2013-10-09 : assembled tower picture added

update 2013-10-10 : assembled tower picture added

Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Custom wakeboard tower

A friend of mine built his own, but from stainless .... Your design looks really neat! personally I think you need to spread the 2 points further away from each other, last thing you want is the connection point ripping out the boat .... but being an industrial designer why don't you design a hydraulic system so it it folds down itself that would be awesome ....

jimtur

Cadet

my tower have 24" between both anchor to the boat, compare to 12" of some aftermarket tower. I will install UHMW plastic sheet between aluminium anchor and the boat gelcoat. UHMW plate will absord hard shock and prevent gelcoat damage. Boat will be reinforced from the inside with wood sheet and fiberglass. I just ordered all part, more pics coming soon.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Looks good. I know a guy who made a tower by welding metal pipes together and had it powder coated. I would use 1/4 aluminum plate over the top of the wood for the inside brace. Make sure to put a good layer of silicone between the inside of the hull and the backer plate.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jim, I just installed my homemade tower. It's made from 2" 6061 T6 aluminum tube. Not nearly as artistic as yours, but it's for a 40 year old Starcraft, so it's rather staid. Here's a couple of pictures, but there's more in the restoration link in my signature. I'll enjoy watching as you get yours put together. Please post lotsa pictures. - Grandad

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Grandad...just curious about your methods. Did you MIG or TIG that? Considering purchasing a new MIG welder with a spool gun to allow me to weld aluminum. I know many will recommend to TIG alum instead, but $$$$$ and I'm just a hobbiest...plus from my understanding TIG is not necessary for heavier walled aluminum, and I'm thinking MIG is a little more "dummy-proof", should work perfectly fine and much cheaper to purchase the welder.

So I'm very curious about your welding method and how well it went.

I agree it looks real good!

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Grandad...just curious about your methods. Did you MIG or TIG that? Considering purchasing a new MIG welder with a spool gun to allow me to weld aluminum. I know many will recommend to TIG alum instead, but $$$$$ and I'm just a hobbiest...plus from my understanding TIG is not necessary for heavier walled aluminum, and I'm thinking MIG is a little more "dummy-proof", should work perfectly fine and much cheaper to purchase the welder.

So I'm very curious about your welding method and how well it went.

I agree it looks real good!
Hi craze, I had it welded by a professional. I think it was TIG welded. The picture above shows the welds after I dressed them up. The original welds can be seen in my restore thread in post #76 at:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ay-reno-hull-repair-517895-4.html#post4252375
I thought about buying equipment and learning to do it myself, but decided this old dog is getting too old to learn new tricks. If you think you'll get further use out of the welder, it may be worth it to you. I'm pleased with the results and might have been disappointed with my own attempt. Maybe jimtur can shed some more light since his welding should be done now. - Grandad

Last edited:

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the follow-up, Grandad...looks like one heckuva project you've got going there! Nice work!

jimtur

Cadet

picture of tower added! Paint job for next week, it's metallic silver powder coated paint.

jimtur

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jim. That tower looks super great. It looks painted already, but I guess that's a shot blast of some kind. How do you plan to support the tower in the folded position? I'm still working on a couple of support brackets for mine. - Grandad

redrocco

Recruit

Gorgeous! I am amazed at the simple design. The functional rear curving bow misses hitting the boat in the down position. I may have to borrow some inspiration from this. I have a 89 Ciera with a rear slanting radar arch. I am thinking of replacing it with a forward slanting aluminum tower. The primary purpose of the tower is to support a sunshade.
Still kudos on your design.

jimtur

Cadet

Tower is now painted with a powder coat base, added 2 layers of metallic silver paint for allows wheel, finished with 3 layers of gloss clear coat anti yellowing. Final result is WOW! I will take some picture this week-end.

Jim

redrocco

Recruit

Looking forward to seeing it! Of course the customizations can't stop. Next it needs speakers!
Speaker Frame.jpgSpeaker FInished.jpg

Jim Aikins Fiberglass box build. Borrowed from bierbower.net/diytower/

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim - that's an amazing looking tower. Super nice bends on the tubing and just a cool looking design. Nothing like it on the water. I bet you'll get a lot of really nice comments on that tower every time you take it to the lake!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

That looks great. I like how it secures to the cleat. Ever think about producing them for other boats?? Could be a gold mine.