Wakeboard rope vs standard rope

jjschwi

Cadet
Does anyone think its worth the money to drop $120 on a no stretch wakeboard rope? Currently I'm in my second year wakeboarding, I'm 36 years old with an 11 year old who loves to wakeboard as much as me, we use a sea-ray for the tow boat, and we are getting pretty good air off our boat, we have a wake tower as well. I'm considering getting a nice rope, and wanted to know people's opinion going from your standard $40 typical rope to one of these no stretch ropes. Did they make a big diffrence, could you tell right away the diffrence, did it improve your wakeboarding skills, jumping etc...

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wakeboard rope vs standard rope

Does anyone think its worth the money to drop $120 on a no stretch wakeboard rope? Currently I'm in my second year wakeboarding, I'm 36 years old with an 11 year old who loves to wakeboard as much as me, we use a sea-ray for the tow boat, and we are getting pretty good air off our boat, we have a wake tower as well. I'm considering getting a nice rope, and wanted to know people's opinion going from your standard $40 typical rope to one of these no stretch ropes. Did they make a big diffrence, could you tell right away the diffrence, did it improve your wakeboarding skills, jumping etc...

I did the same thing this year. It makes a diff but not a huge diff that's for sure.

99bison

Cadet

Made a "big" difference for us, similar situation with ages to yours, plus a few other old ones like us :). I guess depends on what your definition of big is, however now that I purchased one, I certainly wouldn't go back. For a better price (~$60) try the lime green airhead one off amazon, we have and like that one.

The biggest change was the consistency in line tension - it helps keep body position right. Similarly, you also get the "proper" feel for what's actually happening vs. bungee effects with stretch ropes.

TXREBEL

Cadet

A rope and handle are 2 of the biggest purchases I used to ride in multiple tournaments when I was in highschool and college. It depends on the quality of the rope that you have now. we had one that was crazy stretchy that was a tubing rope when i was younger and wakeboarding on that was its own beast. The no stretch ropes are very important when you are working tricks to ensure you get the same pull from the boat the whole time. when you are working tricks that are going to require spins you are not going to want any slingshot effect when you leave the water.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes. It is also a better rope for kneeboards, trick skis, hydrofoils. If you cut hard on a single ski, then a stretch ski rope is a very good thing. Otherwise a zero stretch rope works for everything. (except tubing)

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know that my son definitely prefers the no stretch rope, which doesn't surprise me because he doesn't have to pay for it yet. I'm just anxious for him to get to a point he can buy his own stuff.
Oh well, we're having family fun, so it's worth it.:joyous:

natureschild88

Seaman Apprentice

I have the lime green Airhead cord that 99bison mentioned, purchased it on Amazon last April for roughly $60 I think. I've gotten a ton of use out of it and it is still holding up fine. I've even left it in out in the sun for about a month not during the off season unknowingly. I was sure the cord would have lost its strength the next time I used it, maybe snap. Its held up fine and my buddies and I have gone boarding at least twice a month since May when the water warmed up. I'd totally recommend buying one, much better than a traditional ski rope.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my personal boat we use a good rope, and don't think much of it, but when I ride behind anything with a regular rope it's a severe distraction. You have to account for the recoil coming off your edge.
Maybe, if you rode with a standard rope all the time you'd be used to it and it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but having used a no-stretch I can't stand regular ropes.
$120's definitely not necessary.

Airhead's spectra ropes are about $60 (no stretch)
Or there's the dyna-core that's around $30 that's called LOW stretch but I'm guessing it would be a significant upgrade over a regular dept. store ski rope.

The Show

Cadet

I just purchased a green Proline LG rope for $120. I used a standard ski rope before, I didn't feel a $100 difference, thats for sure. But, when you get outside of the wake to cut back in, pull the rope to your chest and you'll really pick up speed before launching. This is where I saw the biggest difference.