What is a good wakeboard set up for a beginner adult?

jcminnesota

Cadet
We are looking to buy a used wakeboard off craigs list. We are newbies....and 190-200 lb senior :joyous:adults. What should we look for? Length? Fins? What kind of bindings are easy to get into and out of and not to expensive. Looking for advice from the expert wakeboards out there. We are not looking to spend a lot---maybe 100-150 for a used setup. We need to see if our old tired legs will allow us to even get up on it! Thanks.

Frankdtank

Seaman
Re: What is a good wakeboard set up for a beginner adult?

Bigger is better. I started wakeboarding last summer at age 42. I got a good deal at Academy on an O'brien set, forgot exactly how much, but it was later in the season and they were on sale. I spent just over $200 or so. The board is 142 cm long which is ideal for and adult of 190 lbs, it also has fins that help beginners by keeping the board tracking straight. The bindings are the less expensive "lace on" type, which is fine just make sure you loosen them up really good especially when they are wet. Don't get the cheapest rope, I did that and it the handle broke, you want one that has the entire handle enclosed in rubber. If you have a tower on your boat that helps a lot, I learned without and it's doable. Good luck :)

Robert95z

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is a good wakeboard set up for a beginner adult?

I just started wakeboarding a few weeks ago. I was fortunate enough to have a wake park nearby to rent equipment and see if I like it. I love it!

I went to evo.com and they have an "outlet" section where you can find deals on new older model boards. You can get a brand new setup for $200-$250 that way.

Like frank side, a longer board is going to be more stable for a beginner so I would go with a 142.