Sound system for wakeboard boat

z28robert

Recruit
Hi,

We have a 2008 wakeboard boat with a tower. We are looking to install Kicker speakers and how hard is it to wire a tower? Any suggestions on an amp?

Thanks
Robert

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sound system for wakeboard boat

What kind of boat? What kind of tower? What kind of Kicker speakers? Details are necessary to be able to answer your questions.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You can use any speakers and amp these days .... I have a full car setup on my boat, I built 8 speaker pods for my wake tower and run normal JVC DRVN speakers with a 5000w amp pushing the 8 speakers and a sub, the most difficult part of the wiring is pulling it through the tower's tubes ....

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Wiring a tower is not hard but we need to know what kind of boat, tower, etc. to help. There are threads in the electrical area describing installation of speakers on towers and amps.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

not hard, but a lot easier to do during construction of the tower than after.

We took the tower off the boat to wire it. Drilled two holes - one each near where the speakers would be mounted, and a 3rd hole down near the mounting plates where the wires coming from the amp would enter.
At that point we routed the two sets of 12 awg wire using a fish tape. It was a bit tedious, but not too terribly time consuming. Definitely helps to work in pairs so one can keep an eye on the exit hole giving guidance to the fish tape operator.
On the "in" side we found an 8 wire connector that we installed to allow for quick wire disconnection when the tower is removed.

We installed grommets on all 3 holes and made all our terminal connections with solder and heat shrink. We're running a pair of 8" bazooka tubbies and a bridged 4 ch amp around 150w rms x 2. We also installed some docking lights and ran wires for those as well.
It has all worked well for several yrs.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not to interrupt, but I'll be wiring a tower soon. Where would I find suitable grommets? I hadn't even thought of using grommets. That would look much cleaner.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to interrupt, but I'll be wiring a tower soon. Where would I find suitable grommets? I hadn't even thought of using grommets. That would look much cleaner.

I like to use snap bushing grommets which were available at a local hardware store.