Choosing an after market wakeboard arch tower?

cptnmcluvin

Seaman
My 2011 Glastron GT205 needs a wakeboard tower. It came with a bimini top that is fully functional and I would like to keep it as is. I like the new wakeboard arch towers that mount on the top of the gunwales behind the wind shield frames. It would best if the arch tower angled backwards so that the current bimini would stay as is. Also, the new tower should be able to easily fold down for storage and transportation. Are there any towers on the market like this? Someone is quoting me $2K for a custom made tower. Attached is a picture of my GT205 and an example of a GT185 with an arch tower.

Attachments

• 20120704_06_GlastronTiedUp.jpg
    20120704_06_GlastronTiedUp.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013GlastronGt185_ArchTower_01.jpg
    2013GlastronGt185_ArchTower_01.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Choosing an after market wakeboard arch tower?

that's a tall bimini. i'm not sure you will be able to find a tower tall enough to clear it.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in the same situation as you. My bimini is the same as yours, no way any universal tower will clear it regardless which way it arches. I'm going with the Big Air Ice Tower. Very reasonable pricing and pretty good reviews. I'm going to modify my bimini to work with the tower somehow, won't know how until the tower is on.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do a search for "reverse tower" you will get a number of hits for what you are thinking about. The difficulty is that you have a tall bimini that is wider at the top than most towers are. If you get a reverse tower you can mount it far back on the boat to give you more access through the side and more space for the bimini. There are a number of good reasons to put the tower far to the back but it looks different so yo might get comments about being abnormal. Functionally it is an effective location as the tow point is closer to the center of mass on the boat. The tower mounts would be beside the sunpad and almost at the transom.
You can also look at a tower bimini. Good luck, I think you'll need to make some compromises.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

A Bimini top is very easy to modify. Get the tower you want and then modify your Bimini to fit. I like the reverse arch towers from Monster and Skylon. The one you posted a picture of is awesome too...wonder who makes it.

Depending on the tower I choose I will have to shorten my Bimini and change its mounting point. But all things considered this is the easiest method.

ranchand

Recruit

I'm in the same boat as you...well not the same boat but a similar situation. I have a Seadoo Islandia with a huge factory bimini. Just curious what tower you ended up using if you've progressed. I'm also dealing with a factory cover that ratchet-straps around the entire boat. Lets get the tower opinions and ideas flowing guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20130313_142358_453.jpg
    IMG_20130313_142358_453.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I would check out the Monster MTK. I went with the Monster MT2 and it fit under the bimini top.

P7020192.jpg

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you post a couple more pics of how the tower feet are positioned in relation to the bimini rails? looks awesome!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

akorcovelos,

Sorry about the slow response but I have been busy putting snowmobiles away for the year. Here are the pics I have on file. The bimini mounts are on the top of the gunwale (the upper/top portion of the boat) and the tower is mounted below on the sides. The rear legs of the bimini are inside the tower legs. The upper hardware, attached to the legs, fits on the outside and the nylon strap, which is attached to the front of the bimini, snakes through it.

P7020189.jpg

P7020190.jpg

P7020191.jpg

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking install. So van you actually use the tower to tow someone with the bimini up?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I have towed with it up. The rope slides under it. If I get an aggressive wakeboarder I put it down or the rope will hit the poles.