Kid wants to wakeboard - ski or kneeboard first?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
My ten year-old is getting bored of tubing and says he wants to get into wakeboarding. My only experience is water skiing. Should he try water skiing as a stepping stone to wakeboarding? The couple of online vids I've seen on how to get up on a wakeboard actually make it look easier than getting up on skiis.

Any other recommendations for getting a kid into the sport would be appreciated (other than dropping $50K on a wake boat...:) The ol' Scout with a ski pylon is going to have to do...). He is a novice snow boarder so has demonstrated some sense of balance and edge control.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kid wants to wakeboard - ski or kneeboard first?

If he wants to wakeboard then I would say to go ahead and jump into it.

I don't think skiing is any easier to learn, and I don't think it would make sense to learn that first and then transfer over.

Get a cheap used wakeboard in his size or maybe just a little larger so he can use it longer. Make sure he understands that he will not get up the first time, or the second, or the third...

It may take a while for him to get up, but once he gets up on the board his learning curve will shoot off like a rocket. And when I say it may take a while, I mean it may not even happen the first or second days on the water. Don't let him get discouraged.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

I started skiing when I was very young. Wakeboarding wasn't really around back then anyways, but I started wakeboarding for the first time around 18. I would say just from my personal experience that getting up on skis is 10x easier versus getting up on a wakeboard. I would say that the two are in no way alike though. My experience may have been much different also because I learned to ski when I was younger....either way the younger you are I think the easier you can learn.

Start with a cheaper used board and don't let him give up easy. It took me ten plus tries to get up before I could actually stand. Once I learned how to cross the wake, I was jumping the next day.

just my $.02:)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For a kid starting, ten or even four, it is much easier to get up on a wakeboard than two skis. My youngest started on her older siblings board when she was five. The board was too big for her but she had no problems controlling it. She'd say 'hit it' and I'd put it in gear. She'd be up and then I'd slowly bring her up to 8 mph.
When on the board he just keeps his butt on his heels for as long as he needs. He could spend five minutes like that and it would not be a problem but if he stands up too soon the board will drop and he'll crash. I would agree with Brian33D on a used board being a good way to start. Also, you are much better off not using a ski rope as the stretch in the rope makes boarding harder to do.
Enjoy.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

For a kid starting, ten or even four, it is much easier to get up on a wakeboard than two skis. My youngest started on her older siblings board when she was five. The board was too big for her but she had no problems controlling it. She'd say 'hit it' and I'd put it in gear. She'd be up and then I'd slowly bring her up to 8 mph.
When on the board he just keeps his butt on his heels for as long as he needs. He could spend five minutes like that and it would not be a problem but if he stands up too soon the board will drop and he'll crash. I would agree with Brian33D on a used board being a good way to start. Also, you are much better off not using a ski rope as the stretch in the rope makes boarding harder to do.
Enjoy.

I think a lot of the reason I struggled at first was the fact that I was using a ski rope. I had never heard of a wakeboard rope back then....Once I purchased one it helped tremendously.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have had much more luck getting the kids up on wakeboards than skis. I can't seem to get mine to ski, which sucks as I love it so much!

I say get a wakeboard and a kneeboard. If they don't have success on the wakeboard they can at least taste success on the kneeboard.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the advice folks. I've read before about the importance of a wake rope so I will make sure to get one. I've seen a couple of videos by this guy. He seems to make it simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1GhUpIcc0

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I starting skiing I found the following videos helpful and it was the same technique to get up on a wakeboard. When people start skiing or warkeboarding for the first time there is a tendency to want to pull themselves out of the water which usually ends in a face plant. If they stay in the right position then all they have to do is stand up once their up on the water (and twist in the case of a wakeboard).

If you don't have a wakeboard rope the first time you go out, don't worry about it. It becomes more important when you start to get air.

http://1hourWaterSkiing.com/video1/
http://1hourWaterSkiing.com/video2/
http://1hourWaterSkiing.com/video3/
http://1hourWaterSkiing.com/video4/

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, Dave - appreciate the help and will check those out. The challenge will be to get him over the hurdle of standing up. He generally goes gung ho from the get go but can be tricky to keep motivated if he doesn't succeed quickly.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I starting skiing I found the following videos helpful and it was the same technique to get up on a wakeboard. When people start skiing or warkeboarding for the first time there is a tendency to want to pull themselves out of the water which usually ends in a face plant. If they stay in the right position then all they have to do is stand up once their up on the water (and twist in the case of a wakeboard).

Agreed, it's all about technique and in many cases the 'twist' will happen naturally depending on your natural stance. If he snowboards that should be an automatic part of the process.

Good luck.

D.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To find out what foot should be forward there is a simple trick. Stand behind them and give a light push on their back. They will step one foot forward to balance. That is their forward foot. If they can't seem to get the twist at the waist they can always let go with the back hand and the board will straighten out..

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

My daughter started wakeboarding last year at 14. We tried and tried and she couldnt get up and stay up, while this whole time i was driving the boat.
We went back in and my son and G.F. took her out and she got up on the second try! I said how did you guys do it and she said...... Dad your not driving the boat right, you cant take off like you are pulling up a skier.

So i went with them and he was not giving as much throtle - just a short burts to pop her up, then slowly slow down to 12 to 15 MPh
This has worked for her ever since, now we tried to get her friend up and never did, probley 20 times untill she gave up.

I realy think it is in how the rider pulls themselves up. Its all in techniqe

The wakeboard rope dose make a difference - it is shorter than a ski rope. I bought a chep-o- and it hurts her hands after awhile, so if you are going to buy one get the better one with a good handle.

Good luck to you all! and Happy Boating!!!!

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ten year olds pop up easy on the wakeboard.

My $0.02: When in the water they will want to have their knees bent and but down like they are siting in a chair on its back. As the driver, you want a nice steady pull, all the while make sure to admonish the newbie to "stay in the chair" (keep their knees bent and butt down). Not until they are completely up out of the water should they attempt to straighten up.

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a question for you veteran wakeboarders. What size of wakeboard should suit a 10 year old who is about 4'10 and weighs 95 lbs? My nephew wants a wakeboard for his birthday and my 2 siblings and myself are going in on a wakeboard and binding set for him.

jonny_neffs

Cadet

My 13 year old daughter wants to try wakeboarding also. She is about the same size as your nephew - she is 95lbs and 4'8". I found this board on craigslist where the guys kids lost interest in it and grew out of it. He is asking $100 - here is a link to the specs:

http://www.bodyglove.com/shop/products/?9205/wakeboards-and-waterskis/wakeboards/splat

is this a good deal and a good starter board for my daughter? - it is a little shorter than the length above it is only 122cm.

Thanks,
Jonny

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

122 is to short for her. It means that it would be more work getting up and would require a higher speed to stay up well. Slides and surface tricks are harder on a short board. My 10 year old had no problems on a 134 when he was about 80 # and his sister could ride it without issue at 14

jonny_neffs

Cadet

Thanks. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I will keep looking.

Water_God32

Seaman

My ten year-old is getting bored of tubing and says he wants to get into wakeboarding. My only experience is water skiing. Should he try water skiing as a stepping stone to wakeboarding? The couple of online vids I've seen on how to get up on a wakeboard actually make it look easier than getting up on skiis.

Any other recommendations for getting a kid into the sport would be appreciated (other than dropping $50K on a wake boat...:) The ol' Scout with a ski pylon is going to have to do...). He is a novice snow boarder so has demonstrated some sense of balance and edge control.

I started out on water ski's, when I was young wakeboarding wasn't big yet. Honestly they are completely different, I had a much harder time learning how to. On the wakeboard I popped right up. I suggest that you put him right on the board.

davras

Recruit

My daughter started wakeboarding last year at 14. We tried and tried and she couldnt get up and stay up, while this whole time i was driving the boat.
We went back in and my son and G.F. took her out and she got up on the second try! I said how did you guys do it and she said...... Dad your not driving the boat right, you cant take off like you are pulling up a skier.

So i went with them and he was not giving as much throtle - just a short burts to pop her up, then slowly slow down to 12 to 15 MPh
This has worked for her ever since, now we tried to get her friend up and never did, probley 20 times untill she gave up.

I realy think it is in how the rider pulls themselves up. Its all in techniqe

The wakeboard rope dose make a difference - it is shorter than a ski rope. I bought a chep-o- and it hurts her hands after awhile, so if you are going to buy one get the better one with a good handle.

Good luck to you all! and Happy Boating!!!!

My 11 yr old daughter likes 11mph (82 lbs on a 122 board), the rest of us ride about 19mph (180 lbs on a 142 board). The slower you go, the more the board "drags", creating more pressure on the hands.