Wakeboard Tower Installation Experience

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is my first post on iboats, and I'd like to share what I learned since it was my first tower install. Even though there is great advice on this forum, I would have really liked a detailed write-up from someone. In the spirit of helping, here is mine. PLEASE PLEASE add your own comments and experiences so that those after us will have the most information possible!

I have a Black/White 2007 Seaswirl 210 Br and purchased the polished aluminum Aerial Airborne this winter when H2Osportswarehouse was offering 2 free racks. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so i made sure to do my research beforehand! I stayed away from the black coated tower because some people say the finish wears off pretty quick.

The airborne was on my list of possible towers from the beginning, along with the MT2, Assault, and a couple others like the big air Vapor and Krypt towers. In the end, I really liked how the airborne follows the windshield lines, it makes for a really sweet side view of the boat. When I saw that there was a deal for 2 free racks with the purchase of the airborne (a $500 value) I started emailing marine shops that install this specific tower and asked for their input. The overall consensus was that it is one of the strongest universal towers out there when installed correctly. I just couldn't pass up on the deal. I'll say this though, getting a wakeboard tower shipped to you in the middle of December is basically torture. It sat in my living room and I stared at it every day anticipating getting to use it!

Getting Help:
As for the install, I used a lot of advice I got here. I convinced a couple buddies to help by bringing a case of beer and some pizza (sad what it takes to get help sometimes).

Locating the position for the mounting feet:
We held up a side rail to see where it would best follow the windshield, and I noted approximately where the feet would be. I used painter's tape to cover these areas before we started measuring.
I checked these areas inside the hull and made sure they were accessible with no wires or anything in the way.
NOTE: The bottom of the mounting feet WILL scratch your gel coat so before they make contact with your boat be sure there's tape there.
My boat basically has no flat spots anywhere up at the front. I decided that finding the flattest point for the front feet was more important than anything else, so I used one of the backing washers and slid it around on the (taped) area where the front foot would go and found the flattest spot for it. I marked where this location was, then we held up the side rail again and placed the front foot on the marked position. It still followed the windshield nicely so that wasn't an issue. At this side rail position, the rear foot was on a location that was a little too curvy for my liking, so it was moved up about half an inch or so and that position was marked also. Again, the side rail was held up with both feet in their marked positions. It still followed the windshield nicely so we decided it was a good position.
From the marked side of the boat, I took measurements to both marked feet locations from factory installed components like cleats and windshield lines, and transferred the locations to the other side. They needed adjusting a little bit once we realized the windshield was anything but symmetrical. I believe the former owner busted the windshield and the replacement is definitely not exact. Like the first side, we held up the side rail and made sure it followed the windshield and was as close as possible to being symmetrical to the other side.

Drilling Holes for feet:
The instructions that were sent with the tower do not match the online instructions in respect to what parts are needed. The paper version did not list a 5/8" drill bit, but that's what is needed for these holes. The drill was run in reverse for probably half of each hole (until I was certain I was through the gelcoat). I did not have a countersinking bit, so we used a small piece of sandpaper to ease back the gelcoat away from the hole. We scrubbed the corners of the holes until the gelcoat was brought back far enough that the bolt would not contact it no matter how it moved.

Backing Plates:
In advance I had no idea what thickness my fiberglass was, but I planned on using backing plates anyways for the extra security. I crawled inside with some paper, held it up to the area where the plate would go, and drew a quick layout of it. These drawings were then traced out on 3/8" plywood then cut out. As for how large the plates should be, I could have made mine much bigger, but I figured that a 6"x8" piece on a relatively flat part of the hull was better than a 12"x12" piece that had to cover some really curved areas.
Once cut out, I held the plates up where they would be installed and a buddy stuck a marker thru the drilled hole from the outside and marked where the bolt would come thru the plywood. These holes were then drilled, the inside of the plywood was covered in pl adhesive, and they were set into place.
For us, the easiest way to do this was have two guys hold the backing plates up (front and rear and one side) while I lifted the side rail up and held it in position (with the bolts thru the hull). The guys on the inside, while holding the plates, put loctite on the bolts and installed the large washer/lockwasher/nuts. They cranked down the nuts enough to snug everything up but not enough to bend the wood. The adhesive needs time to set up and cure so that it can be solid enough to support the pressure when they are torqued down. The same was repeated on the other side so that both side rails were installed and leaning against the windshield. I thought this part would take hours but it seriously took about 20 minutes total and makes me feel much better that it will all be strong enough.

Adjusting side rails:
This is the main part that I messed up on. The ground where my boat was sitting wasnt level, and the boat wasnt exactly level on the trailer either. We didn't have a level with us (stupid I know) so we had to guess. Eventually the thought that crossed my mind was "Let's not worry about it. Once we get all the legs and H-section set up it'll all work out." This isn't true! Spend the time and make sure the side rails are 90deg straight up and down, and that they are equal to eachother. Most people set up one side rail and measure its distance from the windshield and use that to set up the other side. As stated earlier, my windshield isn't even so this wasnt a possibility for me. Tighten everything down enough so that the rails stay at 90deg.

Installing legs and H-section:
This part definitely helped to have several people around. The easiest way for us was to install both rear legs but leave the bolts loose enough to allow movement. They were both inserted into the H-section at the same time. Then the front legs were installed the same way while someone held the H-section and stood on the back seat since it'll end up pretty high above the floor.
This part was difficult for us because I didn't have the side rails at 90deg (actually about 5-10deg outwards). You can imagine that if the side rails are leaning out, then the top of the leg where it inserts into the h-section isn't parallel to the floor either. This made it difficult to get it together, and once it was together, it was even harder to adjust and get set where I wanted.
NOTE: Aerial's manual touches on this, but sliding the legs in and out of the h-section will scratch them up. There are plastic inserts in the h-section to protect the polished finish during this step.

Squaring everything up:
Once all 4 legs are in the h-section, the whole structure really holds itself together pretty well even with the bolts all loose. I got in and out of the boat about 20 times during this part, sliding the legs in and out and then checking how even it all looked from all angles. With properly adjusted side rails the h-section will want to pivot during this step so it helps to have someone holding it. The final measurement is the cross measurement that the manual talks about. Measuring from the tow point to an identical point on both sides of the boat (like the mounting feet) will ensure that the tow point is in the middle of the boat. Once everything was even I marked where the 8 bolts in the h-section would go to hold everything in place.

Drilling and bolting h-section:
I did this part alone and didn't struggle too much. A big piece of advice that is probably common sense...make sure to use a drill bit specific for hard metal. I went and bought a 3/8" cobalt drill bit for 9 bucks and it went right thru the aluminum legs. If you have access to a right hand drill, it would come in handy here also. I drilled both inside and outside holes by just going straight thru, but I had to be very careful to drill straight and not at an angle or I would miss the hole on the back. I also inserted a bolt after each hole was drilled instead of drilling all holes first. This way the h-section won't move on you while drilling all the holes. Make sure to use loctite before tightening up the bolts.
This is basically the step that clamps everything together, and makes the tower useable only at these exact measurements and dimensions, so take some time and make sure it looks and feels the way you want before doing this.

Installing racks:
The racks went on uneventfully. They are pretty self-explanatory and don't take much work. I made sure to loctite all bolts here too, it's one less thing to worry about. The only issue I read about was that people had trouble with the rubber inserts that match it to the tower diameter. I had no trouble with mine, and think they actually look kind of good since the boat is black too.

Running speaker wire:
I used a cobalt 1/2" drill bit for the holes for the speakers wire up at the top. Once the holes were drilled I inserted fish tape and fed it down the right rear leg. Some people drill their hole at the bottom of the leg and then struggle getting the fish tape thru that small hole. I just took out the bolt that attaches the rear leg to the side rail and removed the hinge hardware from the bottom of the rear leg. The tower will support itself with the other 3 legs so its no big deal, and since the leg is hollow it was now extremely easy to fish the tape right out the bottom of the leg. I then drilled the hole a few inches from the bottom of the leg (make sure to put it high enough that the hinge can be inserted again without impeding the hole) and ran the wires out thru it by hand. I then reinserted the hinge, lined the leg back up where it goes, and reinstalled the bolt that secures it. Now the wires are ran thru the leg and out the holes at the top and I never had to mess with trying to get a fish tape thru a small little hole all by myself.

Installing speakers:
This obviously changes depending on what speakers you have. I have the Kicker KMT06 speaker pods which were fairly simple to install. I cleaned up the wiring by covering it with black split loom even though only about 2 inches shows from the tower to the speakers. I had loads of trouble inserting rubber washers into these holes in the tower, so instead i just made sure the split loom was long enough to cover the wire up into the tower an inch or so to protect it from the sharp metal edges. I used loctite on the mounting hardware also for extra security.

Getting the tower up and secure took 3 of us about 7 hours, but we also had the whole day planned for it. Take your time, you only get 1 good shot at it. A couple days later I came back and torqued everything, ran wires, and finished other misc stuff in about 5 hours.

Random notes:

ONE BIG WARNING! They specifically say not to collapse the tower without drilling and bolting the h-section first. I knew that but I was alone so I had to do it alone at the time. As I lowered it down holding the left front leg, the right front leg pivoted down and slid out of the h-section on its own....and onto the concrete. Polished aluminum doesn't really like coming into contact with concrete and it scuffed some of that leg up pretty good. Its not too noticeable unless I point it out to someone, but I know its there and it drives me crazy. Do not lower or collapse the tower without the h-section bolts in and tight!!

All I have left is to drill a hole in the fiberglass to run the wires inside the boat, and then pull every bolt and screw out 1 by 1 and loctite them all before reinserting them.

I couldn't find marine grade plywood smaller than 4'x8' sheets and those were like $80. Instead I got regular exterior plywood, and in the next week or two I plan on applying a layer or two of resin over the wood to help protect it from the elements.

Almost everyone talks about their tower getting loose the first few times out, and then not being a problem afterwards especially when using loctite. I called Aerial a couple times for advice (they were extremely nice and helpful each time) and they explained why this happens. When you install the tower you'll notice that the set screws that hold the hinge hardware to the bottom of the legs are shaped like spikes almost. When these screws are tightened down they dig into the metal to help hold it better. However, your hands are only so strong. During the first couple trips on the water, the forces and vibration of the tower will force these screws even deeper (and will work them out slightly which is why the tower seems loose) but after a couple times tightening them again afterwards, they will have dug deep enough into the metal to provide a firm hold for the life of the tower.

The thing is rock solid on this boat, and when I grab it and shake it the whole boat rocks on the trailer. I can even do pullups on it and it doesnt budge (and I'm about 230lbs). It feels basically like a roll bar on a car.

My only worry now is spider cracking. This is something I won't know about for another 6 weeks or so until I can get it on the water. Hopefully the steps I took to prevent these cracks will prove worthwile.

I plan to take pictures the next time I get a chance, and post them on here afterwards. Thanks to everyone who gave tips on earlier threads, it was extremely helpful to me. Hopefully this can become a thread of good advice for installing this and other towers, so that noobs like me will better understand the process and get the most out of their money.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wakeboard Tower Installation Experience

As long as the mounting feet went onto a flat surface and you re-inforced the hull under the backing plates, you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to always check and tighten hardware. I could not access my factory mounted hardware on my tower and it spider cracked my gel coat and had to fight them to get it covered. When I reinstall the tower I am going to add a lot more backing support.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ThreeMile what about side to side movement? Like I said earlier it is rock solid forward and aft, but it has movement laterally. If I just push on it nothing happens, but if I grab one of the legs and start rocking it back and forth pretty aggressively it will start to oscillate and lasts for a few seconds once I let go. I try to watch the tow point while doing this, and I would guess that it has a displacement of about 6-10 inches laterally while I shake it. This might sound crazy or normal I'm not sure. Truth is Ive never been on a boat with a tower before so I don't know how much movement is to be exected. The tower is tight and the movement looks like it is the actual fiberglass flexing where the feet are mounted.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't figure out how to edit that post, but the lateral movement is closer to 2 or 3 inches. I had a buddy do it and the whole boat is rocking on the trailer with makes it seem like a lot more movement than it really is.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is going to be some side to side flex because of how high the tower it's. This is where a good amount of reinforcement comes in handy behind the backing plate to spread out the energy being applied to the feet. Your hull where the mounting feet are is only a 1/4" of fiberglass, and needs more reinforcement if you can watch you hull start to flex. The backing plate behind my towers feet was only a 4x4x.25" plate, I was disgusted. My new base plate is going to be as big as I can fit through my 5" hole I drilled.

Also if you plan on adding speakers or more accessories to the tower, put as much reinforcement as you can back there, the extra weight up top will only cause the tower to flex more.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used 3/8" plywood on all 4 mounts with pl adhesive. The plates are all about 5"x6" because thats the area I had at each point where the inside hull was basically flat. Any bigger than that and they would have had to cover some serious gaps. I felt like that size on a flat area was better than having a backing plate a couple inches bigger but trying to fill an inch thick gap at the same time.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently did this myself. As far as backing plates I made them as big as I possibly could. I had no issue with access to the interior of the hull so I could go as big as the area would allow. I used starboard so there would be not rot issue and put a very thick layer of the PL adhesive between it and the hull. When I tightened the legs down I did so just enough to where the adhesive started to ooze out and conform to the slight curve in the hull (I had no true flat area up front). The following day after it had hardened more I tightened then legs down all the way.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

skydive-I too have a noticeable amount of lateral movement. I gather it is due to being installed on the somewhat flexible vertical fiberglass hull. I notice it mostly when driving to the boat ramp and looking in my rearview mirror...

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fiberglass does allow for some flexing and is forgiving, but only so far. The tower shouldn't exceed those stresses. Just keep your hardware tight, that's the main thing. Check it every time before you go out.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I called Aerial yesterday and they said it should be less than 4 inches total (2 inches either direction). I seriously doubt its more than that if the boat and trailer are sitting still and not rocking also. I might go trailer it around today just to see what it looks like in my mirror. I better hit the back roads because I doubt ill be watching the road much!

Like I said earlier, if I give it 1 big push and pull laterally, it doesn't budge even with speakers. It's only if I slowly get it oscillating a tiny amount then I can work it up to get a couple inches of movement. But that takes a lot of force because the trailer is rocking back and forth at the same time.

It has an overall feeling of being very strong which makes me feel better. I imagined a big heavy structure flopping around and thats not the case. I also saw a couple videos on youtube of towers that were installed incorrectly and I have no idea how that doesn't scare the hell out of those people

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what you have done, and the method you have used are great, im sure it will last you a long time.
a lot of pro installers do it just like that for 500 bux.

the causes of side to side motion on a tower install are

1. improperly installed/weak fiberglass sides.
2 loose bolts, or thru bolts.
3, improper measurement forward and aft each side feet.

1. while pl preimum is a good construction adheasive, while working on a flat surface on a contour gunwhale it will not provide the structural rigidity that is needed between the glass and the wooden backing plate. something more substantial is needed, something with anti crush stregnth. or gellcoat crazing will occur.
for this, i use thickened polyester resin.......it is known better here on iboats restoration forums as "peanut butter"
another good substitute would be kitty hair. for good structural thickened resin, click the link in my sig, and look up oops sooper dooper STRUCTURAL peanut butter, its more toward the end of the thread. (there are several versions, this is the structural one)

to install the backing plates....have a helper hold the backing plate in place.....and drill the hole, use tape (reverse first tll you are through the gellcoat then forward till you are through the hull and the wood.
after one hole is through, stick a bolt in it so that part wont move and drill the rest.
once all the holes are done,,,,,remove the backing plate.

the inner surface should be prepared by a good sanding with 80 grit.
and in case you are wondering, no....its not fun to stick your arm up to the sides of the gunwhale and rub hard back and fourth when itchy fiberglass dust is falling in your eyes and on your bare arms.
after sanding......wash area with acetone.
spread the thickened resin over the backing plate like a sandwich spread....and gish it to the iner hull....(make sure you have lots of plastic on the deck to catch all the drips) and re run your bolts through.....tighten them up so the thickened resin
after one hole is through, stick a bolt in it so that part wont move and drill the rest..
let cure.......
the backing plates are now mechanically bonded to the hull, but the fiberglass bond is the best you can achieve, and the contact surface is actually chemically bonded.

this new fiberglass bond between the backing plate and the hull will stop any crazing that would be caused by a flexible product between the plate and the hull.

2, for improperly installed or loose bolts,
this is caused mostly by drilling the backing plate at an angle so the thru bolts of the feet are not at 90 deg to the hull.
trust me......this takes practise,,,,especially when drilling on a curved hull.
loose bolts on the top of the tower are self explanitory.

3 improper measurement.
boats are not symetrical.....and the windsheild is installed by a kid on the assembly line, so dont use it for anything but a rough guide.
use the bow nose and the centerline of the boat.
the bow is the start of the center line.
measure back from there.
you might want to be tempted to measure from the aft transom corner. but this is not allways true to the center line.
boats are not symmetrical.

your research of two inches of play laterally is quite a bit ......if its from hull flex there is not much you can do about it short of re glassing the gunwhale. but if the tower is installed properly, the sway will be much less.

if you have any questions about what i have posted, please pm me with the link to your question, i dont regularly get to come play in the wakeboard forum.

cheers
oops

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The other day I ended up at a bar that is located across from a marine dealership here in town. I took a little time to walk across the street and check out some boats there. They are a smaller used dealership so no MC or Malibu's, but several nice I/O's with factory and aftermarket towers. I played with each tower to see how it moved and sounded, and I must say that 9 out of 10 had more movement than mine which was a huge relief. Truth is, with the boat and trailer both rocking back and forth at the same time, it is nearly impossible to determine how much the tower moves.

Yesterday I took half an hour to hook the trailer up and go for a little drive. I was blown away at how rigid it was on the road. On a decent road, I couldn't see a millimeter of lateral movement, including on the highway. The only time I saw any vibration was on a horrible dirt road with ruts and potholes, and even then it was such a quick small amount of vibration that I'm not worried at all. At this point I couldn't be happier with how rigid it looks and feels. Hopefully I'll get pictures today (if the storms didn't tear anything up of course)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know I started this thread 4 months ago, but I promised pictures of the finished install and never delivered. I finally got one from my phone after she got a bath. Tower has been on for 5 months, used on 12 outings, pulled several beginner boarders over 220lbs (a 220lb guy who fights the boat learning to get up on a board has some serious force!), and was structurally tested in ways the mfg probably didn't consider. No gel coat cracks, no movement fwd/aft and very minimal lateral movement, extremely quiet. It has a slight lateral vibration when hitting rough road or wakes, but even towers on 75k wakeboard boats do that. Thanks to everyone who contributed on these forums in the past where I learned the techniques to install it properly!

imagejpeg_2.jpg

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Do you have a bimini top that works with the wakeboard tower?

I'm thinking about installing a wakeboard tower but I definitely want to include a bimini top. We like lots of shade.