New kneeboard. Looking for opinions.

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and decided to upgrade the kneeboard. I have an older hydroslide that I like but the pad is wearing and it takes on water and I have to drain after using.

I narrowed down my choices to these three:
1.) http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Slide_Phantom_Kneeboard&aID=600F&merchID=4006

2.) http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ide_Razorback_Kneeboard&aID=600F&merchID=4006

3.) http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...roSlide_Havoc_Kneeboard&aID=600F&merchID=4006

I went with the razorback #2 because I found it on sale for $149 and it was really comfy on my knees. Also it has the retractable fins which I am not sure I will use. The board is a bit on the heavy side. Before I use this Sunday, anyone have experiences with any of these?

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New kneeboard. Looking for opinions.

I have a hydorslide. In my second season of kneeboarding with it and it takes on a little water but overall works great. I'm a 200 lbs man that loves to jump so that might be why it takes on water. It is very movable but tracks straight as well. My 60 lbs son can move it around without too much difficulty.
Do not know anything about the others.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All of those boards are basically the same thing with very slight differences. Buy the one that that you prefer. If you want to get a different style of board, check out something that is compression moulded like an Obrien Richochet or HO Joker. You'll pay about twice as much for a compression moulded board retail.http://forums.iboats.com/newreply.php?p=3378419&noquote=1

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Love my HO Joker. Thing is so much faster and more maneuverable than the old school ones. Huge difference in pop off of the wake as well.

SeanT

Yeah I love mine too. Plus it looks bad*****.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you plan on doing anything besides getting dragged around all day you gotta go with a compression molded board like the HO joker, HO agent, or Obrien Lowrider and 5150. I ride the lowrider. This is us check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNy68MI1N6A

SeanT

What length of rope do you guys typically use?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't say exactly, I play with it and tie a loop in it at my wakes sweet spot for the speed I like to go. I imagine mine is between 50 and 55 feet long.

SeanT

I typically run about 60 feet, same length I wakeboard at. I find that gives me lots of pop on a nice fat part of the wake, just need to start mixing up my tricks. That video gave me some ideas on what to try.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ride at 23.5 60 feet. My buddy in the video rides at 22.5 70 feet. Check out kneeboardworld.com if you really wanna learn some new stuff. Were still spreading the stoke for the sport!!

SeanT

And what speeds? I'm 6'5", 300 pounds (relatively fit though, I play rugby competitively). So far I like 18 - 20ish because it gives me a nice sharp wake. I'll check out that website, just not right now because I need to get some work done today ..... hoping to leave early and do some boarding, but the wind isn't cooperating so far.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

22-23 mph when Im behind my malibu skier with about 1500 lbs of ballast. Behind my buddys Sunsetter in the other video I ride at 23.5 (perfect pass) with about 2000lbs and wedge.

That Moomba outback should throw a hell of a wake but at your size you need to be at least at 21- 22 mph. I'm also a big guy at 6'2 250 I played college football.

Whats your current level of riding? Are you going wake to wake consistantly or any rolls or wake to wake 180s and 360s? I can give you more tips if i know what your skill level is.

SeanT

Still beginner ish. I can jump wake to wake and do slide 180s, no 360s yet. No rolls yet, but I've looked at the KW website and I've got some ideas on where to go next. My Outback tosses a really mean wake between 15 - 25mph even without ballast (but we've always got 3 - 5 people in the boat). The wake rounds off when we hit 22mph, that's why I knock the speed down a tad and then rely on myself and the rope to generate speed across the wake. Sometimes (when it's really calm) I lengthen off the rope, speed things up and slalom - it's very relaxing.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Theres some great tips and videos on the home page. The forum is great too. Its a pretty friendly group of guys still pushing the sport.

Does that moomba not have integrated ballast? By no 360s do you mean on the water handle passes or in the air? That Joker you ride has a TON of drag compared to other boards. We also have one and it just wears me out as Im already pretty heavy. But a kid that lives with us is about 140 and the extra drag helps him catch an edge big time. I ride an Obrien Lowrider now. Im on my second one though (broke the last one)

Good luck with the riding. And if your consistently going wake to wake with at least 4 or so feet of air you can easily throw back rolls and Tik Toks. Take some video and post it up on kneeboardworld and we'll all help you out. Theres alot of incredible boarders on their that know a ton more than me.

SeanT

No integrated ballast. It's an older boat (1998).

What I meant was I'm not flipping in the air at all yet.

I've noticed that the rocker on the Joker can make it a struggle in rough water. If it's too rough to kneeboard I just wakeboard or surf anyway. My back (and knees) take a beating when I try and jump while kneeboarding in rough water (the landings aren't any harder, but the water is rough so you just can't recover in between tricks.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah you have to have smooth water for kneeboarding man. We dont even go to the lake if its windy.

The rolls actually pretty easy to conquer once your going w2w the boat and line load do all the work you just have to hang on. Good luck!

dpd2483

Seaman Apprentice

i went to a 5150 rush the best ride the HO agent not as good if you going to jump you will like the rush i use a 50 to 65 ft rope the rope is all about the boat how far back the wake is off the back of the boat .