Cleat mounted wakeboard racks?

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a brand new boat that I bought as a starter boat. I didn't know I was going to get into wakeboarding until I tried it and fell in love so I only plan on keeping it until its paid off then I'm going to upgrade to a full out wake boat or a cuddy depending on my lifestyle in 4 years (5years loan)

Thats the back story, so basically I dont want to drill a bunch so I bought an insanity pylon, which works great and I'm having a great time with no holes in the boat and my covers still fit. I'm looking for a way to have a board rack without mod'ing the boat. I know cleat mounted ones exsist because I've seen them (for $350 a piece) and I found a guy's whos bussiness died but the sites still up. I saw a few threads on here with DIY stuff but none really seemed like what I was looking for (PVC, added rails, etc).

Does anyone know of anyone making something clever to accomplish what i'm trying to do that doesn't involve drilling or cost a fortune?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleat mounted wakeboard racks?

They make racks that mount onto the insanity pylon.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seriously can't find one, I've looked on the site I bought the pylon from (universalwake) and on the manufacturers website and can't find even a hint of one. Links? and also I would think that the rope would constantly catch on the boards thats are in the racks unless the rack mounts 100% on top on the pylon and i dont see how that would work.

taylorchix28

Cadet

I work with Insanity and they do make some rack mounts. I herd rumor of one of their customers trying to sell their Insanity Pylon that has a rack on it since they upgraded to a full wakeboard tower. If you are interested, PM me and I will check. They do make some Insanity Pylons with board racks on them if you want. With Insanity Pylons, they do all sorts of cool stuff, so it doesn't hurt to ask :)

They are also making some new chrome pylons that you can mount board racks (and speakers) to that are coming out in a few months.

For the cleat-mounted board racks, I will ask them to see if they can make some.

a.t.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

The high fly rack wont work because of the straps on the pylon would be in the way plus that would put the boards at eye level and they'd be MORE in the way since my pylon is only 6 ft (and my boats rolls bad even at 6ft so taller is out of the question) and Taylorchix I PM'ed you so keep me posted.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cleat mounted racks are still in business- The website is stuck in limbo. PM me and I'll get you straight about them. Prices are from $75 to 95 depending on size.

www.rustysracks.com

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first place is the place that charges 350 bucks a peice, but the first page said they had lowered their prices but then the bottm says they're out of stock so many they come back with some cheaper inventory

and the second one the links and pics had been removed because the post is old and the ebay listings are long gone

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

You just have to take the time to look. Maybe that is why you have not found anything yet. There are PLENTY out there.......................................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Release-R...794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5715935a

http://www.bigairwaketowers.com/accessories/racks/

IMGP1320.jpg

IMGP1319.jpg

IMGP1338-1.jpg

IMGP1350.jpg

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy at rusty's rack is going to hook me up I think for less then half of what those cost. Plus i dont think my bimini would support two boards, the mounts are cheap plastic and i dont trust them. The rail on the side looks pretty cool but i'm not looking to drill.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the cleat mounted boards with two wakeboards on it. They were designed for holding kneeboards, but as you can see they will work with wakeboards or wakeskis also.

They look like they overhang quite a bit, but it depends on the positioning of the bindings as to how each individual board fits. The bindings themselves aid in holding them in place- the boards won't fall out.

Attachments

• 100_3361a.jpg
    100_3361a.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3362a.jpg
    100_3362a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3363a.jpg
    100_3363a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_3364a.jpg
    100_3364a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like that, mine will look even sharper because my cleats are at a 45 degree angle.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That bimini mount is really putting a lot of faith in some small tubing and cast bimini connections. Seems like the quality is good though...

Does the cleat mount come in contact with the gel coat? Looks like it from the picture?

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're talking about one of the RustysRacks, it does touch the boat, but is padded to protect the gelcoat. Also the mount fits tightly to the cleat to minimize any bouncing.

JeffNC

Recruit
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I had been thinking about making my own too. I made on last weekend out of a wakeboard rack, 4x4, and some hardware. It seems to work great so far. It won't let me upload pictures for some reason, but here is a link to the project: http://jeffboatprojects.blogspot.com/