Can anyone recommend me a good affordable wakeboarding boat?

golash

Recruit
So what I am looking for is something which has a good build quality and performance. I am based in Spain, so I will be importing from the USA unless the boat manufacturer has retailers in Spain.

I am after the following features:

8 seats minimum
extended swim platform
telescopic ladder
hot/cold transom shower with fresh water filter
ice bucket
tap
mini fridge
CD/AM/FM stereo and AUX input for IPOD or full IPOD integration
electric windlass
front spotlight
head
up to 40 mph cruise speed
Volvo IPS system for easy docking
40 gallons tank (or big enough to get me 150 mile range)
barbecue or grill outside with a dinner table that I can take out and screw in
folding seats so I can lay back or sleep
bimini top
ski tow hook
lockers for wakeboard/water ski
2 seats to lay down and sunbathe at the front of the boat while it's moving

Sorry for some of the above features I didn't know their proper names

So I am looking for all or most of those features, whatever I can get for my budget which would be $20,000 including VAT, TAX and Shipping. But I don't think it may be possible to get all that on such a budget. All that might be possible at $40,000. So perhaps I should forget about the Volvo IPS.

But I was hoping of taking charge of the recession and getting a good deal, I would like to buy NEW 09 or 2010 model. But I could take a NEW 2008 or 2007 model if one is still available which may be in my price range especially in these hard economic times. Or I may just go for a USED one. I thought I will leave it to you experts who know what you are talking about and see what I can get for my budget.

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

salty87

Commander
Re: Can anyone recommend me a good affordable wakeboarding boat?

wow, that's a long list. you list some things that you'd more likely find on larger boats...windlass, spotlight, head, fridge, bbq with table...these would all belong on a bigger boat, with a cuddy cabin or other living area inside the boat. it's doubtful that you'd find bow seats on a boat with a cuddy. you usually won't find a windlass on a boat that has bow seats and you wouldn't really need one on a wakeboarding boat anyway.

i think you should decide on size of the boat first. you can wakeboard behind just about anything but you won't find most of your list on a wakeboard boat. and new is going to cost you.

in your price range for a new boat, you should be looking at 18' boats with open bows and very few of the things on your list.

hell, a new wakeboarding boat (inboard boat made for wakeboarding) won't be any cheaper than $40k and closer to $50k once you add some options...then shipping too.

golash

Recruit

Many thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I had no idea wake boarding boats costs so much. I had seen in Spain some Spanish built boats with long standing reputation of 40+ years of boat building experience. They had NEW boats selling which were bowriders in the 10,000 to 15,000 Euros price range. But this was back in 2006. Back then I was actually interested in purchasing, but now want to really go ahead. The bowriders in that price range had a few of the things that I listed. But I can understand what your saying that I would need a bigger boat for those kind of features. As I am a beginner wakeboarder I would not need a wakeboard tower until I actually get good at wakeboarding. I heard it's best to start off with just a ski tow hook on the back of the boat. So for that I don't mind starting off with a bowrider. Is there really nothing out there, I would of thought in the USA you could get an even better deal than in Spain?

EDIT: This is not bad, doesn't have all my features http://www.boatdealers.ca/boats/details.aspx?BoatID=82598 this works out to costing 18,000 euros NEW.

Please can anyone list some boats that I could get, thanks

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How important will wakeboarding be to you? Many of the features are nice and as mentioned some might be more likely found in a cruiser. But they don't necessarily make a good wakeboard boat.

I would give some consideration to where you want to be in 2 to 3 years with the boat. If you plan to progress in your wakeboarding and start doing more complicated stuff then you should focus on the items core to that. Don't get me wrong about the list, there are a number of items that will make a great boating experience, but if you want to do some serious wakeboarding then I wolud start with a boat designed for that and add the extra items later.

First I wolud start with a boat designed for it. If you look at the hull design here http://www.mastercraft.com/ compared to what you had posted, you'll see a big difference. You'll also want to look at a ballast system if you want to make a big wake and something like a PerfectPass system if you want good speed control. Top end speed is good to get where you're going, but once you're there you want to be able to control the speed of the boat in the 18 - 22 mph range.

Should you ever plan to wakeskate then you don't want to go with an inboard/outboard as is the boat in the link you have posted. You can also board without a tower, but once you're ready to get some air then the tower will make a huge difference. I would also suggest looking around at the used market. While you can get some good deals news, there are also plenty of people trying to unload used boats as well these days.

One further thing about the tower, it does make it easier to get up, but when it comes down to it the key to getting people up is technique and not necessarily the equipment.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont want to burst your bubble but with all the features listed and the year you are looking for, first you will never find somehting even remotely close to your budget and secondly it wont be a wakeboard boat by any means. The replies above mine pretty much answer to all of that. I doubt there will ever be a wakeboard boat with the volvo system, I would suggest a large bow rider with a wake tower but even then, in the years you are lokking for, you will never find anyhting under 50 or 60k

golash

Recruit

Many thanks for your replies

I am not actually after a wakeboard boat, well I was at first but me second reply of this thread was more about bowriders. In 2-3 years time I don't see myself wanting to do big air time and hang time. As I am more into kitesurfing for that. I would just like the option to be able to wakeboard from time to time and waterski from having a bowrider with a ski tow hook. I am very well aware of a mastercraft and I like their boats. I never intend getting a boat with a wakeboarding tower. I visited the southampton and london boatshow in the UK last year and I found plenty of NEW bowriders in my price range, but some of the lacked my a lot of my features. Which I guess you have to pay a lot for. So perhaps I will cut them out. Do you know if bowriders have at least the volvo IPS system for easy docking? I really like that gear stick that makes the boat sway to the side to dock in at the marina, that's really neat. Do you get this on boats of 18 feet long?

Can anyone recommend me a good site in Europe that lists used and new bowriders for sale?

Many thanks in advance

salty87

Commander

Do you know if bowriders have at least the volvo IPS system for easy docking? I really like that gear stick that makes the boat sway to the side to dock in at the marina, that's really neat. Do you get this on boats of 18 feet long?

those are pretty sweet looking. you can get anything you want for the right price. i think the drive package alone would cost around $20k...no boat, trailer, etc.

an 18' boat is pretty easy to dock, especially one with an outdrive. nobody buying an 18' bowrider has the money for that drive system...or the need really. therefore, most builders don't build them. if you find one, it won't be in your price range.

boating is expensive, more so when buying a new boat. stick to what you need to have and hope you can afford it.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The IPS (Mecruiser has the Axius) is a large boat item as it requires 2 engines.

LS1_SE7EN

Cadet

The Mastercraft X-80 probably has every feature you listed, or close to it. It is really big. And will be in the $60k-80k range.

golash

Recruit

Many thanks for your replies guys

I cannot spend $60K-$80K, I will have to look into some Spanish builders and go to some more boat shows. Do you know of some good Spanish builders?

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

learn how to dock the boat, and forget the IPS.

Boom, you just saved a bunch of money.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I've been wakeboarding for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm not the best, but certainly the best on the boat I've been on.

My buddy's boat, which is the only boat I've wakeboarded behind, is a 97 SeaRay 175 with a 125 outboard. He has a little pole setup that gets the tow rope above the outboard.

The boat doesn't have the biggest wake, doesn't have ballasts in the front, but the boat still provides more performance than I can properly utilize. I can jump the wake, I can switch the board around, I can jerk that boat all over the place cutting it up back there...but it certainly doesn't qualify as a wakeboard boat.

Now, that neighbor had himself a few babies, and last year we hit the water once. Totally unacceptable.

So, I got my bonus at work this year and bought myself a boat.

I love wakeboarding, and that's certainly a consideration. My friend's like to ski, so I took that into consideration. My wife likes to lay out in the sun, so that was a consideration. Heck, even my two dogs were a consideration. And of course, money is a big one, and the tow vehicle was the ultimate consideration.

I ended up getting a Monterey 180FS. It's a 'leftover new' 2008 with the 4.3 and some fun additions like a fiberglass floor (rather than carpet), the 4.3L v6 (rather than the standard 3.0 4 cylinder). It doesn't have a tower, it doesn't have an extended swim platform, but I got it for under $20k and the MSRP on this particular boat was around $35k. That made me happy.

Now, if you're a professional wakeboarder, you probably need the right boat. You want one with the direct drive, the front ballasts...whatever.

For the normal folk who don't have $40-$60k for that boat, who also cruise and waterski and tube and fish, it's probably not necessary. As a matter of fact, it's really all about compromise....I need a boat big enough for 6 or 7 people, but our small SUV needs to haul it.

Wakeboard towers can be purchased and added on at any time. Monster makes a great tower, and is one of the main builders of boat towers...a lot of OEM towers are made by the same company. The OEM tower for my boat was a $3700 addition. The equivalent Monster tower is like $1100 and my dealer said they'd install it for $400....so much less than half. That's an option for the future.

An extended swim platform is around a grand, installed...and that's an addition for the future.

Heck, there are companies that make ballast bags that go in the front of the bowrider to make a better wake, which are only a few hundred bucks. You can also take a few coolers and a few people and shift them up past the windshield and you're accomplishing the same goal.

And then, once you buy the boat you have to buy the equipment. A few hundred for a wakeboard, a hundred for a life vest, a hundred for a rope, etc...

And the funny thing about wakeboarding is that you really need a boat that will hold 18-22 mph steady, without worrying about coming off plane or whatever.... It's not like skiing where you need a boat that will haul *** with the load of people you'll no doubt be taking.

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's my 14 cents. ;)

empac

Recruit

I am looking at getting a ski supreme v212 or the v232. Not ever owning a v drive some advice would be helpful. my main worry is not being able to raise the leg like my I/o.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Empac, welcome to the forums, u might want to create a new thread to get input from as many people a u can, but I can tell you right now, a V-Drive is awesome is u plan on mostly using it for what it's meant (wake, ski, etc), but it is not as versatile as a i/o can be. There is no leg really so it cannot be raised, therefore beaching or just accessing areas with limited clearence can be really stressful and un-doable is some places. Unless you plan on becoming very serious about wakeboarding or skiing, I would suggest a newer bow rider that features a waketower, ballast system and all the amenities a v-drive can bring but with the always useful leg that u can raise or lower depending on the circumstances!

empac

Recruit

thanks

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been wakeboarding for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm not the best, but certainly the best on the boat I've been on.

My buddy's boat, which is the only boat I've wakeboarded behind, is a 97 SeaRay 175 with a 125 outboard. He has a little pole setup that gets the tow rope above the outboard.

The boat doesn't have the biggest wake, doesn't have ballasts in the front, but the boat still provides more performance than I can properly utilize. I can jump the wake, I can switch the board around, I can jerk that boat all over the place cutting it up back there...but it certainly doesn't qualify as a wakeboard boat.

Now, that neighbor had himself a few babies, and last year we hit the water once. Totally unacceptable.

So, I got my bonus at work this year and bought myself a boat.

I love wakeboarding, and that's certainly a consideration. My friend's like to ski, so I took that into consideration. My wife likes to lay out in the sun, so that was a consideration. Heck, even my two dogs were a consideration. And of course, money is a big one, and the tow vehicle was the ultimate consideration.

I ended up getting a Monterey 180FS. It's a 'leftover new' 2008 with the 4.3 and some fun additions like a fiberglass floor (rather than carpet), the 4.3L v6 (rather than the standard 3.0 4 cylinder). It doesn't have a tower, it doesn't have an extended swim platform, but I got it for under $20k and the MSRP on this particular boat was around $35k. That made me happy.

Now, if you're a professional wakeboarder, you probably need the right boat. You want one with the direct drive, the front ballasts...whatever.

For the normal folk who don't have $40-$60k for that boat, who also cruise and waterski and tube and fish, it's probably not necessary. As a matter of fact, it's really all about compromise....I need a boat big enough for 6 or 7 people, but our small SUV needs to haul it.

Wakeboard towers can be purchased and added on at any time. Monster makes a great tower, and is one of the main builders of boat towers...a lot of OEM towers are made by the same company. The OEM tower for my boat was a $3700 addition. The equivalent Monster tower is like $1100 and my dealer said they'd install it for $400....so much less than half. That's an option for the future.

An extended swim platform is around a grand, installed...and that's an addition for the future.

Heck, there are companies that make ballast bags that go in the front of the bowrider to make a better wake, which are only a few hundred bucks. You can also take a few coolers and a few people and shift them up past the windshield and you're accomplishing the same goal.

And then, once you buy the boat you have to buy the equipment. A few hundred for a wakeboard, a hundred for a life vest, a hundred for a rope, etc...

And the funny thing about wakeboarding is that you really need a boat that will hold 18-22 mph steady, without worrying about coming off plane or whatever.... It's not like skiing where you need a boat that will haul *** with the load of people you'll no doubt be taking.

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's my 14 cents. ;)

Amen! Too many people have more money than sense. They spend $60k to $80k on a boat, (that they will then sell in the next few years for half), and take the kids out for a couple of weekends of tubing and maybe a wakeboard ride. But I guess if you got the cash, then what the hell. I call them economy boosters. (Sorry just ranting. I'll get off my soap box now.)

SoTexGuero

Cadet

Sounds like he may also want a Porsche with cupholders and DVD player.