Do I need a wakeboard tower?

karlt5503

Seaman Apprentice
Wanted to get some advice from those that have wakeboarded with and without a tower. I have a used Crownline and have been pulling from the transom. I was debating on installing a tower, but wondered how much of a difference it would make. Can you get a lot more air with a tower from a normal I/O? Its not putting off a huge wake like a wakeborad boat would anyway.

Thanks for any input.

ryland43

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Do I need a wakeboard tower?

a tower and some fat sacs would make a big difference, towing from the transom is good for beginning but a tower will help you improve. id get a cheap one and try it out.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can make a pylon for 50 bucks or so. try that and see if you like it.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tower is pulling you up and out of the water, because of the height. None of my friends have a tower. They say its easier to get up on my boat.

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, seen guys doing stupid tricks with no tower, but I think it will make learning easier. 50 million wake boarding kids can't be wrong....:)

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have done both behind my boat and much prefer to wakeboard behind it when i installed the tower last winter. The pull out of the water is much easier and it seems to help with jumping wake 2 wake. It also gets the boards off the floor and out of the way. The tower speakers also gives the rider tunes to listen to while they are riding.

salty87

Commander

you def. don't NEED one but life is much better with a tower.

just riding in a straight line is easier on the lower back. you're constantly working against the downward pull of a rope tied down low. with a pole or tower, you can stand taller and rotate your shoulders back/push your chest out easier....better form, less soreness.

karlt5503

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice everyone. It seems like it would obviously be better pulling from a tower since it is pulling you up. I just wondered how much of a difference it would make. If a tower wasnt so expensive I'd just slap one on and find out, but wanted to see if it was worth the money first.

xjcj3a - How do you make a cheap pylon? I dont want to put a hole in the floor of my boat, if that is required. Is there no way to attach an extension to the transom tow hook? Just to get a few feet. Seems like that would be a cheap way to raise the angle a little.

Thanks

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=197986

read that thread over. if you just added onto the transom eye, when you pulled on it it would put alot of force on that eye. you could also go with a ski pole and add that to your boat. but its not as cheap as that diy pylon.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 for the diy pylon.
still using mine. works great.

duster22

Seaman Apprentice

You hold longer in the air with a tower since its higher up.

bemdur

Cadet

I needed to get my kid boarding with minimal investment. I had a tow tripod already in place on a 18' 90HP OB center cockpit fish boat. Using chain link fence post and hardware I threw it together for about $50. Four cargo hold downs give it most of the support and then a heavy cargo strap goes to forward cleats. I will try to attach a photo. We have been suing this for two years. It is absolutely rigid and handles me as a 190 lb beginner.

The wake is small but he can jump wake to wake on a 75' line. Flooding the fish lockers does not help build the wake. Having three humdred pounds of friends onboard seems to help. I read in a link here today adding bow weight helps. That would confirm the 300 lbs of freinds helping.

Often the wake is rounded. Any suggestions getting is steeper would be appreciated.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I needed to get my kid boarding with minimal investment. I had a tow tripod already in place on a 18' 90HP OB center cockpit fish boat. Using chain link fence post and hardware I threw it together for about $50. Four cargo hold downs give it most of the support and then a heavy cargo strap goes to forward cleats. I will try to attach a photo. We have been suing this for two years. It is absolutely rigid and handles me as a 190 lb beginner.

The wake is small but he can jump wake to wake on a 75' line. Flooding the fish lockers does not help build the wake. Having three humdred pounds of friends onboard seems to help. I read in a link here today adding bow weight helps. That would confirm the 300 lbs of freinds helping.

Often the wake is rounded. Any suggestions getting is steeper would be appreciated.

adding weight to the front of your OB or I/O will make a bigger wake. If you add more weight to the back of the boat in addition you will get a firmer wake with a nice lip.

bemdur

Cadet

Thanks for the info. How about safety? I think my boat can carry 1200 lbs of of gear and passengers. It is an 18 CC with a 90 HP. THe motor probably is 300 and I think is part of the count. Fuel is 20 gallons at around 6 lbs each I think for another 120. Figure another 200 for boat crap, beer and boards. This is 620 so far. I'm 190 and figure a passenger at 220. THis gets up to near capacity . Now lets add a pipe tower and pull a boarder from about 8' above water level. Are we at the limit of safety? I have been doing this for two years and it handles very well and turns fine.

So how much weight should I add and what type? I am thinking a bladder on the floor in front of the console. (actually four five gallon jugs to keep cost down)It would be low and forward. 20 gallons of water should be around 160 lbs.

We would be satisfied to just get a better formed wake that would give a pop.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. How about safety? I think my boat can carry 1200 lbs of of gear and passengers. It is an 18 CC with a 90 HP. THe motor probably is 300 and I think is part of the count. Fuel is 20 gallons at around 6 lbs each I think for another 120. Figure another 200 for boat crap, beer and boards. This is 620 so far. I'm 190 and figure a passenger at 220. THis gets up to near capacity . Now lets add a pipe tower and pull a boarder from about 8' above water level. Are we at the limit of safety? I have been doing this for two years and it handles very well and turns fine.

So how much weight should I add and what type? I am thinking a bladder on the floor in front of the console. (actually four five gallon jugs to keep cost down)It would be low and forward. 20 gallons of water should be around 160 lbs.

We would be satisfied to just get a better formed wake that would give a pop.

do you have a ski locker?