Which kneeboard?

brandhr

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a good all around knee board for beginners. Would like to get one with a hook. Read some negative reviews on some O'Brien boards. Don't want to spend a ton but don't want to buy junk either.

Thanks.

steveoli

Cadet
Re: Which kneeboard?

If you dont want to get too crazy with tricks I suggest you buy a board that rectangular in shape ( without a point in the front ). These boards are very stable and easy to get up and ride. I have both types. I prefer to ride my HO board (pointed and very thin) trick board. The trick boards usually grab an edge much better to jump the wake. I think the landings are smoother also. I you want to eventually get into tricks and jumping, go straight to a trick style board. Overtons has a pretty good guide for shopping a kneeboard. I dont like those front hooks. I've seen people break them. Its not hard getting up without it. I usually see newbs fall 2 or 3 times their first time kneeboarding. After that, thier usually all set. On your first time out, stay directly behind the boat in the calm water. Practice carving back and forth. After you have that mastered, try cutting it to the outside and back into the wake with minimal cut speed to make a little bunny hop off the wake. Remember to keep the nose of the board pointed across the wake and your momentum will bring you to the other side. Before you know, you'll be jumping from wake to wake. When you get to that level, try not to overshoot the other wake because you'll land on flat water. The landings can be rough. The learning curve for a beginner is very short. Oh yea... when you land dont point the nose of the board down because you'll experience the ultimate body flop. Also... look to where your jumping to, dont look at the boat while jumping. Good luck and happy skiing.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't that opposite? The competition HO baords have the flat tips. I have two Joker boards, one is an '05 model and one is an '07 Model. The '05 has a slightly more pointed nose, and the '07 has the flat nose. I am fairy certain the flat nose is better for pop off of the wake.

(This is not me, but it is the board I ride.)
kneeboard.jpg

The differences are in the edges, not necessarily the nose. A really good break down of designs can be found on ****'s Sporting Goods site.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The flat nose is also better for riding switch then the pointed.

steveoli

Cadet

You are correct... some beginner board are almost square in the front and somewhat heavy. My HO is shaped like that also.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking for a good all around knee board for beginners. Would like to get one with a hook. Read some negative reviews on some O'Brien boards. Don't want to spend a ton but don't want to buy junk either.

Thanks.

I would suggest checking out Overton's selection. They have quite a few boards on there with the Hydro Hook that can help out with someone learning for the first time. Steveoli can be right though, don't go investing a whole ton of money into a beginner's board if you plan to try ang get really advanced at the sport. Unlike wakeboarding, a kneeboard is easy to learn on regardless of the board design. The majority of riding styles are all the same. Bigger, thicker boards are going to be a lot softer for riding, and a lot more comfortable to ride for long durations. When you start getting into the competition boards, they are a lot thinner so they aren't as soft on rough water or hard landings.
Just be patient, it is the key thing. I tell that to everyone. Anything related to a boat generally is not cheap. So take your time, read some reviews on the equipment, and then invest.