• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many hp do i need to wakeboard tube or ski?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hp do i need to wakeboard tube or ski?

I have a 14ft fiberglass with 40hp mariner. Can i pull a tube or wake boarder or maybe a skier?
    Would you recommend a ski poll over the outboard or just the 2 hooks and rope.
    Matt

Re: How many hp do i need to wakeboard tube or ski?

you have more than enough hp and ya a pole is better if you can afford it

Comment

You should be able to pull up most skiers. If the skier is very heavy or skiing with one ski it is harder to get up. An experienced skier can get up faster than a beginner.
      sigpic "Spend a little money, save a lot of time"

Comment

yay this answers my question too..

i've got a 14ft runabout with a 1959 evinrude 35.. so its probally around a newer 40-45 or something [horsepower rating difference]

so i should be alright with a wakeboard or tube

Comment

Originally posted by boat1010 View Post
          You should be able to pull up most skiers. If the skier is very heavy or skiing with one ski it is harder to get up. An experienced skier can get up faster than a beginner.
          ditto
          2009 Centurion Falcon V Air Warrior
          NorthWest Ohio WakeBoarders!
          www.maumeewake.com

Comment

Note....
            Do not pull a Tube from an Outboard Pylon (Same as a tower)
            Only use strongly reinforced transom eyes.
            Tow: '94 - Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
            Boat:'87 - 17' Glassport Bowrider - MerCruiser 3.0L I/O
            Board: Hyperlite Belmont 141 (DNA Core)
            Bindings:Hyperlite Era X/L
            Kneeboard: HO Joker - Front / Ho Joker - Back

Comment

Originally posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
              yay this answers my question too..

i've got a 14ft runabout with a 1959 evinrude 35.. so its probally around a newer 40-45 or something [horsepower rating difference]

so i should be alright with a wakeboard or tube
              It works the other way. Outboards made before the mid-1980s were rated by crankshaft power, later models were rated by propshaft power, accounting for losses in the lower unit. The 1959 35 would be rated closer to 30 hp today.

As for tubing and wakeboarding, it should be fine for light people but you'll probably have some difficulty with anyone over 150 lb or so.

Comment

My second boat was a 14' aluminum with a 35hp Johnny on it. I tried getting skiers up and it was impossible. The boat was too light, too small, and not enough power to compensate. Towing a tuber was no problem, however I did notice that on turns, and when turning, the tube/r would begin dictating the turn, essentially taking over and therefore keeping the boat in the middle of a turn while the tube/r takes control of the turn.

With your boat being fiberglass, I don't see skiing happening, but you never know. The hardest thing is getting that person out of the water. If you've got a solid holeshot and flat, calm water, you may pull it off.

Good luck and be safe!

SSS
                Whoever controls what you see, controls what you think.

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death...your right to say it.

Comment

well the carbs being fixed sunday.. and i'll be totally water ready after checking/changing the foot oil/ seals maybe..

Comment

You have to pay to play.... your boat just isn't designed for this.. Ive seen people ski behind 20hp before but we are talking about very experienced skiers.. im 200lbs and I have done it before behind a 75hp and wouldn't be in a hurry to do it again.. depends on skill and prop as well.. I personally think 90hp on a smaller boat would be the lowest for teaching anyone how to ski or for beginners..

Comment

I not realy looking to ski or pull them. Mostly tubing, easy and you dont need much skill. Maby a kneeboard.
                      Thanks for the help
                      Matt

Comment

Success depends a lot on how heavy the boat is. 500 lb - no problem. 750 lb -borderline - 1,000 lb unlikely. Weight being the enemy of performance - if you boat on a lake that does not require a spotter, having the driver-only helps. If the skier is a light weight then it could be fine.

Definitely do NOT use a ski pole. The higher tow point will cause the front of the boat to rise and keep it from getting up on plane. Pull from the eyes low on the transom for the best hole shot.

Growing up our ski boats were a 14' alum w/ tiller steer 20hp. then a 40 hp on a 13 1/2' Boston Whaler. That was a great little ski boat.

Comment

I have a similar question. I'm looking at a 17' fiberglass Dorel with a 115 Johnson. The only thing I want this for is wakeboarding and I need it to be able to tow a full grown person and pull them up really quickly. I'm worried that we're going to have made a huge mistake.
                          Thanks

Comment

Im sure you will be fine with a 115. Iv seen wakeboarding on a 25hp john boat.
                            Matt

Comment

Oh god a 115 will pull out a horse on a wakeboard. You should have no problem doing anything you want with a 115 hp. I ski'd behind a 50 hp before. Granted it was on a 14 foot boat.
                              sigpic

1970 115 Evinrude
                              1983 Mercury 115 hp Tower of Power

Comment

Working...
                              X