Picked up an old school Hyperlite at Goodwill. Can I learn on it?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The board I picked up is a Hyperlite "Bigun" with three plastic fins in the back and old-style flat bindings with bungee straps that go over your heels. It was cheap, so I figured what the heck. Now I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to put modern bindings on it and trying to learn on it, or whether there have been significant improvements in wakeboard technology since this one was built. I've tried wakeboarding once, on a newer board with fins on both sides and wasn't able to get up, so I'm wondering if an older board like this would be easier to use than a modern board, or harder to use. If nothing else, it makes a great wall hanger. The graphics are classic '90s gangster.

Thanks

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Picked up an old school Hyperlite at Goodwill. Can I learn on it?

It all depends on the design of the board.
The single directional boards are generally called Skurf-Boards.
It is actually what I used to learn getting up and simple maneuvering back and forth around the wakes. The sandal bindings are perfectly fine for beginner riding.
They are really easy to get on, and actually stay on pretty well. Only real reason I upgraded from mine was that I broke the bindings.
But, I would suggest trying it out.
I got pretty good with mine and actually took all of the fins off and did a lot of surface tricks with it. Got to be kind of fun.

And, having trouble getting up?
I would recommend reading up on some Deep Water Start techniques.
Really, getting up is the hardest part, once you are up, it is actually pretty easy to just sit and ride behind the boat.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And, having trouble getting up?
I would recommend reading up on some Deep Water Start techniques.
Really, getting up is the hardest part, once you are up, it is actually pretty easy to just sit and ride behind the boat.

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely check out the start techniques. I've got all winter to figure things out.

Are you able to get a wakeboarder up with that 3.0 Merc? I have the same engine on a 19ft bowrider (no tower, but a 2ft pylon off the stern) and I'm hoping I'll be able to learn the basics with it.

Uraijit

Banned

Check out http://test.waketrix.com/

Those vids are very well made, and good at explaining everything that's going on when you're trying to get up. It's something that's very difficult to describe to someone who hasn't gotten up on a wakeboard before, but very easy to do once you know what it feels like.

You should have no problem getting someone up behind a 3.0. It doesn't take a ton of power to get someone up. But when you DO start, give it LOTS of throttle. Even with my 290 HP 350, I usually give it at least 3/4 throttle off the line.

Once your rider is up, and your boat on plane, keep the speed between 18-22mph.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah. Wakeboarding really doesn't take a ton of power to get up.
I actually have no problem at all and I have my wife pull me ALL the time (Living in Florida is nice. Boating year round anyone?).
I am 5'7" / 168 Lbs.

I will look tonight, but I was thinking after I made my post that the "Bigun" was actually the same board I rode before.
All black with an alley type scene and a Gang teen on it?
At least that is what mine looked like.

But, I have seen people wakeboard behind Pantoon boats and other stuff. The boat with the bigger motor and more deisgned for wakeboarding won't be needed until you get ready for BIG AIR tricks. My bowrider doesn't even have a pylon at the moment. I use the stern mounted I-hook. Looked into a tower a few times, but I don't think the modification is needed at this time.

How sturdy is you pylon? I have seen somewhere (I would have to look some more) a pylon tube that slides overtop of your factory one in order to extend it higher in the air. Might be something to look into if you get a little more progressed and get more advanced style board.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the Big Gun's a single tip (directional) board, but that won't effect learning. Sandals will work to learn on, but a decent set of boots would be better.
3.0's a great motor for recreational watersports. A little weak for a heavy skier on a single ski, but otherwise more than capable. Rode behind a co-workers 18' w/3.0 and was surprised by the torque. It's probably quicker than my 19.5' 4.3L

arkmiller

Recruit

The board I picked up is a Hyperlite "Bigun" with three plastic fins in the back and old-style flat bindings with bungee straps that go over your heels. It was cheap, so I figured what the heck. Now I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to put modern bindings on it and trying to learn on it, or whether there have been significant improvements in wakeboard technology since this one was built. I've tried wakeboarding once, on a newer board with fins on both sides and wasn't able to get up, so I'm wondering if an older board like this would be easier to use than a modern board, or harder to use. If nothing else, it makes a great wall hanger. The graphics are classic '90s gangster.

Thanks

This is a really old post, but any chance you still have this wake board. It was my first board and I'm looking to find one for nostalgic reasons. Worth a try.