Kneeboard or wakeboard?

SooLineRob

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Quick question. New boat owner here, so I've never done any water sports, besides tubing, myself. I'd like to have something (besides a tube) for the kids (21 and 23) and friends to enjoy.

Our boat is an '04 FW 180 F/S with a transom-pull mount. We won't be mounting a wakeboard tower account clearance issue during storage. Our son snowboards, daughter does not.

Regarding kneeboards ... they appear "easier" to learn and stay on, but seem limited in the fun factor.

Regarding wakeboards ... they appear "harder" to learn to ride, but seem to have more potential for stunts.

Since our son snowboards, the wakeboard seems natural. We're concerned our daughter may shy away from a wakeboard, and may be more comfortable being pulled on a kneeboard.

So ... what do ya'll think? What can you do on a kneeboard besides get pulled around like in a tube? Will a snowboarder get bored quickly on a kneeboard? Is a wakeboard purchase a "personal choice of the rider" kind of thing? Do people learn on kneeboards and with time start doing crazy tricks on them? Do you "graduate" up to a wakeboard once you master a kneeboard?

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kneeboard of wakeboard?

Re: Kneeboard of wakeboard?

Well, I'm a kneeboard fan myself. I find it easier to get up on, not quite as much stress on the body...unless you catch the front tip...then lookout.

Kneeboards can be purchased relatively cheaply, is there any reason you couldn't do both?

My only recommendation is that I'm a huge fan of the kneeboards that allow you to clip the rope to the tip of the board. They make learning so much easier and a lot more enjoyable for newbies.

SooLineRob

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Kneeboard or wakeboard?

Hi dorelse,

Nope, no reason we can't do both.

Just my limited experience in watersports, all the wakeboarders I see use towers ... and I can't/won't put a tower on our boat.

I was thinking the same thing as you regarding the reduced "body stress" of kneeboards, and they do look like alot of fun. I've personally never ridden on wake nor kneeboards, so I just don't know which I'd prefer...

Thanks.

sport twin

Recruit

if you are new to water sports i would get a knee board with the hook to hook the ski rope to. they are super easy to learn how to ride and when you get good there are many tricks you can do on them like barrel rolls and 360s.
But wakeboards are really fun too.

V8 Killer

Recruit

For starters, I would recommend getting both. But with that said...

Expect your son to try kneeboarding one time, or maybe when the water is too choppy to wakeboard. If he's a snowboarder, he'll want to wakeboard.

Kneeboarding is very limited in tricks and slow/boring compared to wakeboarding. I'm a snowboarder / wakeboarder myself and I'd rather tube, surf, or swim than kneeboard most of the time.

For your daughter, she will likely be VERY hesitant to try wakeboarding as (for some reason) most girls are. I've taken about half a dozen girls on my wakeboard boat. Every one of them, including my long-term girlfriend, had to be practically forced to give it a try. Now each and every one of them is - literally - addicted. My boat is full every weekend without me even making a phone call with people begging to board and pitch in money, gas, food, whatever.

If you can talk your daughter into trying it, and she'll stick with it long enough to stand up and give it a chance, you'll probably have 2 wakeboarders in your family and you can sell your kneeboard LOL.

Best of luck,

Dusty

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to kneeboard. I prefer the wakeboard by far. At the end of my kneeboarding days I recall learning to stand up on it wondering why a "stand up" kneeboard hadn't been invented. Soon after the skurfer showed up, which eventually became the wakeboard.
In hindsight it was a pretty natural progression.

Last summer I got on a kneeboard for the first time in years, and quickly remembered why I've been wakeboarding for the last 10 yrs.

As far as learning to ride -- My daughter got up at 6 y/o (refuses to bend her knees once she's out of the water, so can't ride it very far). My nephew popped right up first try as a 9 y/o and rode until he got tired. My wife took to it in just a couple tries and was learning to jump the wake after a few trips out.

IMO the kneeboard is more wear on your legs just because of the position you're in. A wakeboard ride can be VERY low stress if that's how you want it to be.

A tower is anything but a requirment. They're more effective as board storage than as a contributor to the quality of the ride . I've never seen a study on it, but I wouldn't think they improve air by more than a few percent. The tow angle is only changed by 5 degrees or so. Unless you're trying to get every possible bit of air you can, or trying to do advanced tricks they're really not a factor.

SooLineRob

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies!

Seems like both kneeboards and wakeboards can be alot of fun; and it really depends on what the rider feels more comfortable trying ... and a tower isn't required per se.

So ... looks like I'll have both aboard.

Personally, I'll stick with tubing and driving the boat ... LOL! Thanks gang!!!