Anyone into skurfing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used to wakeboard quite a bit behind a 2003 Tige 22V that we sold several years ago and got pretty decent, could do normal and switch wake-to-wake on both heel side and toe side, 180's, and even landed a handful of backrolls and 360's (although never consistently). Finally gave it up after injuring a ligament in my right ankle and partially herniating a disc in my lower back in separate incidents back in 2010 and 2011, sold our boat around then too.

I just got back into boating with a 1995 Cobalt 252 I/O and would like to get back into some kind of activity that's less injury prone than wakeboarding (I have a 4 year old daughter that I need to impress now ;) ). Wakesurfing is out due to the outdrive. I tried wakeskating a couple of times awhile back, seemed quite a bit more difficult than wakeboarding. Read a little bit about skurfing, which seems like wake surfing only a little faster speed and further away from the boat, which might be a good fit. I've tried to do some searching on types of boards, recommended rope lengths, etc but every time I put "skurfing" into google it just brings up information on surfing, so not really helpful. Is the equipment the same as wakesurfing? Anyone here try this or can offer any tips or comparison to wakeskating before I make any type of equipment investment?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Never heard of it, but I Googled "wake skurfing" and a whole lot came up. So add the word wake in front of it.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tried that, still getting mostly results for wake surfing. Maybe they are the same thing and I'm just overthinking it.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Look up Skurfer. Before wakeboarding made it big some tried making a small surf board with some foot straps that they towed. Some are reintroducing the idea with new boards. Speed will be lower than wakeboarding as there is more surface area and flotation, and no leading edge to faceplant over.

Basically, use any surf board and a line at least 50' long. Try to keep the boat bow down and figure it out as you go.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There it is! Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.