Wakeboard Towers and Folding Down

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, I don't have detailed pictures of the tower right now (you can kind of see it in my profile pic) but I was talking to somebody at work the other day and they think that almost every tower should fold down in some manner. Is that the case generally?

Background: I picked up a 2004 Caravelle in December and it came with the tower (which I'm assuming is factory) and a new bimini top however the tower interferes with the bimini top when it is on. After looking at it a bit, I think I can get the two to work together somehow but first I need to fully open the top to see exactly where everything falls when it is open. To do that, I have to either fold the tower down somehow or find somebody to take a trip to the warehouse I have the boat stored in to help me take the tower off.

I'll try and get by the warehouse in the next couple of days and take some better pictures but in general, do a majority of towers fold in some manner?

oldjeep

Admiral
Most are capable of folding down or just being quickly removed. Can't see much from your picture but with a lot of them they have a hinge in the middle of the top section so that you can disconnect the front legs, fold tower back and then it folds in the middle of the top. If there is no hinge there then just folding tower back may not buy you much clearance.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it wasn't supposed to be pouring down rain when I get off of work, I'd stop by there and check it out tonight (I take public transportation to work most of the time and did today) but I'm hoping to find a hinge. Another thing I just thought of is that after zooming in on the copy of my profile pick that I have on my computer here at work, the view is horrible, but I was reminded of some pins on each of the legs. I actually think I might be able to just pull those four pins (one on each leg about half way up) and then only take the top part off which might give me enough room to open the top and then see where any obstructions are. I don't really want to spend the money on a top designed for the tower this summer since the top I have is literally brand new thanks to the previous owner but the idea of removing the tower or top each time is not appealing either. Hopefully I can figure something out this summer but if not I'll just have to spend the money next year.