Wakeboard for kids

bjurcina

Cadet
Looking to purchase a wakeboard and bindings for our kids. They have wakeboarded a couple times and can water ski well. Our son is 80lbs and daughter is 65lbs. I'd like to purchase something decent like a Hyperlite but I'm wondering if its worth it for something they're going to grow out of in a couple years and then need a bigger board. From what I've read a 119 would be a good size but I'm guessing our son will out grow that in a year or two. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My five year old learned on a 127. "Hit it" meant put the boat it gear as she'd be up at idle. Too big though makes it uncomfortable to float in the water before starting. So yes, they will outgrow a 119 quickly. My experience is that if the boots are comfortable they will enjoy whatever board they are on. As soon as the boots are not comfortable the board is awful and not one could ride it. The length was not critical.

I would look at anything that is lightweight and adjustable easily. If they really enjoy it and can be out a lot, they will progress quickly and your beginner board will be good for guests while they will find something that suits there progression. My son got very good when he started at eight and loved it until he was 12. At 13 he started skiing and after 14 he was not that excited about any water sports. Results may vary.

bjurcina

Cadet
Thanks Ralllyart. My daughter is like that. We just start coasting forward and she's up. I wish I knew what board they were using last summer. I'm guessing it was a 127. We live in Nova Scotia Canada so items like skis and wakeboards are about double the price found in the States. Experimenting gets expensive fast. I'm thinking the 127 would be the way to go.

eavega

Lieutenant
My opinion, get it as big as you can, possibly a 132 or so. My daughter is about 90 Lbs, and is learning on a 137. Bigger boards will give more lift and make water starts easier as it gets on plane faster and is more stable. As she grows she can keep using that board until her skills demand something else. If she gets into tricks, that is when she will probably want a smaller board. Bigger = heavier, so that doing surface spins or getting air will be a little more work. Since she is not there yet, the 137 suits her just fine for getting up, learning to edge, etc.

oldjeep

Admiral
My advice - don't go as big as you can. My wife started out by learning on my sons board and while they get you up quick they are miserable to control since they are not putting enough weight to the board and bob around like a cork making turning very difficult. Once I switched her to a board that was sized for her weight it was amazing how much better control she had.

bjurcina

Cadet
Thanks oldjeep. That's kind of what I was worried about. I ordered one from Shuswap in Alberta and on their recommendation I went with a 127. They'll grow into it quickly and then if they are having fun and doing well we can get a bigger one.