Greasable Roller Shaft Problem

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
So I got my 12" self centering keel rollers. I got the 13.5" greasable roller shafts to go along with them. I slid a roller on a shaft and I notice that the shafts are way to long for these rollers. I figure I'll shim the ends with pipe to take up the extra and keep the roller centered then I notice where the grease outlet holes are. :facepalm:

This is with the roller centered

Some actual dimentions,

12" roller - 11.5
13.5" shaft - 13.5 end to end figure I'll lose 1/2" by the time you add the retainer clips, brackets,and give some wiggle room.

From measuring the 13.5 I'm going to guess that the next size down in shafts (11 1/8") is going to be too short by 5/8".

Any thoughts to save my dream of easily greasing rollers on my trailer?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Personally I can't see any reason to grease keel rollers... Plastic core on stainless shaft is plenty slick... If you want greasable and can't find shafts then a few minutes with a drill press and a tap and you have greasable shafts.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I guess we differ then as my thinking is that everything lasts longer and works better when properly lubed.

It looks like making my own is becoming my only option.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well I dunno bud... I have rollers on trailers from the 70's, never lubed, and still working great and the rollers made today are better built...

I can imagine the might roll a little more freely but the design lets the shaft turn in the bracket ... The roller doesn't really need to turn on the shaft....

If you are determined to have em greasable make sure you know what kind of plastic is inside your rollers and make sure your grease is compatible... Also keep in mind you will likely have grease find its way to other places like your hull, and possibly your driveway, your shoes, and your living room carpet.

Since there are no seals you will also have water in the grease (may be a non issue) and the grease will trap any dirt/ grit that hits it.

Maybe it all works out for you to be worth it but IMHO it isn't a slam dunk without any negatives.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
To wrap this up,

Being that I noticed the poor placement of the grease outlets I completely missed the fact that these rollers don't even fit snug enough (a strong 1/8" of slop on the shaft) which in my mind makes the greasable feature not worth while anyway when used with these rollers.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
To wrap this up,

Being that I noticed the poor placement of the grease outlets I completely missed the fact that these rollers don't even fit snug enough (a strong 1/8" of slop on the shaft) which in my mind makes the greasable feature not worth while anyway when used with these rollers.

You decided to......?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe not as wrapped up as I thought

I used the shafts for now since that's what I had. I didn't put any effort into getting the roller to stay centered to take advantage of the grease feature since with this much slop between the roller and shaft I'm joining your camp to say that grease isn't a benefit.

If I can find a shaft/round stock that matches the inner circumference closer I will make my own greaseable shafts and they will get greased .

When I took apart the 8" rollers that these are replacing the benefits of greasing rollers was solidified in my mind and here's why -

One roller barely turned on the shaft and the other didn't, if they turned under the boat it was the shaft in the bracket as you mentioned above. However when I took them apart to reuse the brackets I was able to pull one off the shaft by hand with the other requiring some twisting while pulling. Though not by me in the five years I've owned it (and I'm doubtful it was the PO) they had been greased at sometime by someone. The only real corrosion is at the ends of the shaft where the pal nuts had been. With some mild cleaning they will be next to new and put in the spare parts pile.

Before

After three swipes across a wire wheel on a bench grinder

If they look this good from being greased once in the last ?ten? years I can imagine the shape they'd be in if they were greased even once a year.

When I replace the three remaining 8" rollers I will check specs closer and if the fit is better on the replacements I find they will get greasable shafts.

Fed

Commander
Drill a hole in the centre of your roller & get a needle tip type fitting for your grease gun.

Fed

Commander
Then you could drill 2 holes, one either side of the centreline to make Smoke happy.
I have rollers on trailers from the 70's, never lubed
There's your problem Smoke, try it and you will be converted and for what it's worth having the shafts rotating in the brackets is far from ideal IMO.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well I could see your point IF I had a problem but they work perfectly..... There are some things in life that don't HAVE to be ideal to be able to exceed required performance levels.