Disc surge brakes machine gunning

Halibut214

Cadet
I have a one year new single axle trailer with disc brakes that I towed for the first time with my Toyota Sienna. Nearly every time I apply the brakes the trailer brakes machine gun (go on and off rapidly). With the boat off the trailer the brakes come on so hard the tires slide. This does not however happen when towing with my truck. Any ideas?

Halibut214

Cadet
Yes but it's a little higher on the truck. Having towed trailers with surge brakes for 20 years why would this matter?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
It does this with the boat on the trailer?

Mine does that when the trailer is empty going down hill if I tap the brakes too hard, just a side effect of brakes meant for 6000lbs with only 1200lbs on them. I just have to be careful going down the long drive from the parking lot to the ramp, if I am towing it empty for a while then I just lock out the brakes.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just did a little reading on this. Some people that have had similar issues had said it was caused by brakes that needed to be bled or a bad shock in your actuator.

Would seem strange that this would be an issue on a one year old trailer and stranger that it does it on one vehicle and not the other hence my question regardign the trailer being level.

Halibut214

Cadet
It does it with the boat on or off but with the boat on its less noticeable. With the truck it doesn't do it at all.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It does it with the boat on or off but with the boat on its less noticeable. With the truck it doesn't do it at all.

I suggest you get a drop hitch or whatever needed to duplicate the trailer angle for the truck setup. If one trailers good and the other not so good, set the trailer up to the same angle as the good one...

oldjeep

Admiral
I suggest you get a drop hitch or whatever needed to duplicate the trailer angle for the truck setup. If one trailers good and the other not so good, set the trailer up to the same angle as the good one...

This - plus take a look at your surge coupler and make sure that it is sliding freely and not binding when it is at the particular angle of your Sienna.

Also take a look at how much slop is in your Sienna receiver. I've seen some of those little hitches where you can get as much as 1" of movement from the receiver moving up/down in/out and that would also cause some goofiness with your surge brakes.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
If i remember right the Toyota Sienna might not recognize the trailer and it activates the ABS system when braking. There is something the dealer can special order i think for the vehicle to recognize the trailer. Look in your manual and see if it tells you to make sure the two are compatible. (Sienna and trailer)