MPG Towing With/Without Cover

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a well-fitting cover for my Four Winns deckboat. I almost always tow cover-on. There is no flapping of fabric or anything of the like. This week I conducted an experiment to verify what I've experienced in the past. I towed the same route with/without cover. The total weight was virtually the same each leg.

MPG with cover: 12.9

MPG without cover: 10.8.

Boat also stays cleaner cover-on, no question.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Good data. Nevertheless, when the question comes up again there will be some that swear you shouldn't trailer with a cover.

Just got back from vacation. On the interstate this year we counted 3 life jackets, 4 cooler covers 2 beach towels and one aft seat. (If you lost a light tan boat seat PM me and I'll give you directions.....LOL)

jbcurt00

Staff member
The 3 covers I used were listed as towable covers. Cinched down well they take being towed w little flapping and have held up well..

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Interesting info, thanks for posting. I read an article years ago in a Bass magazine that said the cover off yields better mileage.

four winns 214

One other bit of data: Tow speed was 60mph. I'll bet going faster would create a larger differential since drag is the square of speed. I'll let somebody else experiment with that one.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Trailering with a perfect fitting custom cover will always be more efficient. Trailering with a 'trailerable' non-custom cover could end up being worse, you are dragging a sail on top of your boat. Also, the non-custom trailerable covers tend to not last very long, if there is any part that is flapping, it will both wear out the cover as well as mark the boat.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
One other bit of data: Tow speed was 60mph. I'll bet going faster would create a larger differential since drag is the square of speed. I'll let somebody else experiment with that one.

It take 8 times as much power going from 40mph to 80mph.
The power to overcome drag is cubed.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get right at 2 MPG better with the cover on. I have a custom cover and it doesn't move or allow water in at any speed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just saw an ad on CL:

" Lost a brand new 6 gallon gas tank and a deluxe Fishing landing net. Suspect it was on interstate route XXX between YYY and ZZZ. Please call ABC if you found it"

Hahahahah. I bet he uses his cover next time he trails the boat at highway speeds....

64osby

Admiral
Does your mileage go up if you have the boat running. :D

Short trip no cover, long trips always covered. :)

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good data. Nevertheless, when the question comes up again there will be some that swear you shouldn't trailer with a cover.

Just got back from vacation. On the interstate this year we counted 3 life jackets, 4 cooler covers 2 beach towels and one aft seat. (If you lost a light tan boat seat PM me and I'll give you directions.....LOL)

Yep I just spend last Sunday evening tracing my route looking for my Bimini Top. I take it off, fold it and put it in my cooler under the rear seat. I forgot to snap the strap on the seat and the wind blew it open.

Pony

Rear Admiral
If I had a custom or fitted cover I would absolutely tow with it on just so I wouldn't have so much gear to unload and put back into the back of my pick up at the end of the day.

The cover I keep on it while it's in the driveway is trailerable, but I have so many mounts and extra "stuff" attached to the boat I had to buy it a size bigger than is necessary. There is no way I could get it right enough to tow with it or in a manner that wasn't going to beat the crap out of the boat and the cover and my stuff.

I have a system down where I have bags and or cases for most of my gear of have it stored in the compartments in the boat.

Good #'s from the original post though. If I really could save 2/3 mpg in theory a custom fit cover might pay for itself.

four winns 214

If I had a custom or fitted cover I would absolutely tow with it on just so I wouldn't have so much gear to unload and put back into the back of my pick up at the end of the day.

The cover I keep on it while it's in the driveway is trailerable, but I have so many mounts and extra "stuff" attached to the boat I had to buy it a size bigger than is necessary. There is no way I could get it right enough to tow with it or in a manner that wasn't going to beat the crap out of the boat and the cover and my stuff.

I have a system down where I have bags and or cases for most of my gear of have it stored in the compartments in the boat.

Good #'s from the original post though. If I really could save 2/3 mpg in theory a custom fit cover might pay for itself.

You may not see the mpg difference with your boat that I experience with mine. My boat has a large frontal area that creates substantial drag. The boat pictured in your post appears to have a much more streamlined profile.